Hosted a "Matrix PreLoaded" Party tonight ...

LightninBoy

« on: 8 May 2003, 05:12 am »
My wife and I have been dreaming about a home theater room for at least 6 years. A few weeks ago, it finally became a reality. And tonight I invited a few friends over to watch "The Matrix" in our new home theater room.

You know, as much as I get a rush out of the movies and sound, its almost better to see someone else in total amazement at the sound and image quality possible in todays HT.

Here's the system. Keep in mind, the speakers are temporary. I blew my entire speaker budget on the sub, so I had to make do:

DVD/CD Player: Yamaha S2300
Projector: Yamaha DPX 1000 on 90" Stewart Firehawk screen.
Pre/Pro: Outlaw 950
Amps: IRD MB-100 (* 5)
Main speakers: Tannoy studio monitors from their pro line (~8 years old)
Center: Polk (some old model)
Surrounds: Polk (some old model)
Sub: Revel B15 <--- As Neo might say: "Whoa"

Despite the questionable speakers, the sound is actually very good.

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2003, 05:26 am »
Sounds like a nice setup.

A friend of mine has a pair of Revel subs, though I'm not sure on the model. They're pretty nice. Pretty spendy as well.  :o

I had a similar Matrix screening this last Sunday. A few friends came over for dinner, then the movie.

This coming Sunday we'll be doing it again. And this time we'll be watching Equilibrium, which should keep us in the Matrix frame of mind until Reloaded hits.

Anyone care to guess the opening weekend gross for Reloaded (Thur-Sun)? I'll guess 90 mil, give or take a few million.

bob82274

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2003, 01:58 pm »
I plan on doing the same when I get back to Charlotte.  I found a DLP projector around the house (don't ask but these things happen round my house) and even though its designed for buisnesses I think it will make a decent makeshift movie theatre.  Also plan on watching some Band of Brothers and LOTR on it as well.

ZooDog

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2003, 01:49 pm »
My roommate and I watched the original on Sunday.  It was the inauguaral run for my new SVS PB1-ISD.  Let me tell you, this thing made mincemeat of the REL Q201e that I had been trying out.  The SVS had better everything, extension, slam, pitch definition you name it.  Granted, the REL is much smaller than the SVS, but for me the performance trade off is too great.  Also, one could almost buy 3 of the SVS's for the price of a new Q201e (mine was a floor model).  I also have a SVS 20-39PC that was in fact also better than the REL but was too tall to be placed where I wanted my sub.  The PB1 is an improvement over the 20-39PC and at $599, cost $150 less than what I paid for the 20-39PC.