The phone call every parent dreads - FIRE!! (serious post)

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Tonight was one of the scariest nights I have ever had. My 13 year old son was spending the night at a friend's house tonight about a mile up the hill from home.
 About an hour ago, I recive a call that showned on my called id from a number I have never seen before. It was my son on the other end yelling "the house is on fire!!!!". It took me a second to see if I heard laughing in the background (hey, they are kids after all). At that very moment, I heard the sirens going off at the fire station that is 3 blocks away. It turns out, he was calling from some guy's cell phone that stoped when he saw the flames and threw the kids in his vehicle.

I run in my bedroom where my 7 year old twins were sleeping, woke them up and told them to get some clothes on while I went out and started the car as well as scrape the ice off the windshield.

I pull around the corner from my house where there was 3 cop cars blocking the roads. They kept trying to redirect me to go the other way yelling at me "you can't go up there". So i roll down the window and yell back at the one cops, "bullshit, my son is in that house, MOVE", he says to me "what house"...... I reply, "the house that is on fire you idiot", the next thing that came out of his mouth was when he yelled to the other cop cars "Move it, let this guy through"..

I drive up the road to find enough fire trucks to put out a fire at the Astro Dome. I could not see much due to all the smoke and flames. Obviously, I am scared as hell at this point. Then I remember that my son told me to look for a white Cadillac Escalade (spelling?).

When I spot the SUV, I see my son and his friend running towrads me with only PJs on. No shirt, no shoes, no socks. Keep in mind that it is about 14 degrees out with an ice storm. By the time they got to my car, which they past by half a block because they were looking for my truck, they were both crying because their feet were numb. My son's friend was being carried by some lady that saw them running down the icy sidewalk with no socks on.

In the end, nobody was hurt. Fire scares me more than anything and I still cannot get that lumpy feeling out of my throat. That few minutes scared the living shit out of me like never before.

Anybody else ever have a few moments when the worse goes thrugh your head.

Scott F.

« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2006, 04:39 am »
Hiya Bill,

Glad to hear the boys are OK. Its a shame somebody lost their house but ultimately its a 'thing' and things can be replaced....but lives can't.

Nothing sends me (or anybody probably) into a panic like a loved one in danger.

jermmd

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2006, 04:40 am »
Wow, scary. My wife's elderly aunts house burned to the ground recently and she lost all of her belongings. All the photos, all the keepsakes from her children and grandchildren. It was really heartbreaking. Thank god no one was hurt. Rumor has it that a overheated XBOX that my wife's cousin was playing with caused the fire.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2006, 04:46 am »
Thank god no one was hurt

Yes, this obviously most important.

Rumor has it that a overheated XBOX that my wife's cousin was playing with caused the fire.

Interesting, the boys told me they were playing the XBOX when someone can bursting through the front door yelling the house was on fire making sure everyone got out. It turns out, the fire started in the garage by the mother's boyfriend who left a slamander heater running while he ran to Walmart. The heater caught the gas tank of a 4-wheeler on fire and then reached the gas tank on his Harley and finally made it to some propane tanks that were also in the garage.

At this point, I have no idea as to the extent of the damage to the house or even if the fire made it into the house itself. The garage is about 5 feet from the house. I was not able to get close enough to see and frankly, once I had the kids in my posession, didn't care about the material property. I only wantedto get them back to my house.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2006, 04:48 am »
Bill that's a frightening story - I'm a recent father with a 2-year old boy and little girl on the way (she's due on Cinco de Mayo).

Tonight our neighbor called and said someone had sneaked into her home and was lurking around on her first floor.  She thought it was her sister or something but it wasn't. She came down stairs to find a strange man standing there in her doorway.  She gave him directions and quickly shut and locked the man out.

After the creep left she called us as she was very scared since her husband is away on business.

So of course the first thing I do is run outside with a weapon looking for the creep.  He was long gone or hiding as I didin't find him.

I hate the thought of thieves/rapists/pedophiles out there prowling around in the dark by my home or my neighbors.

Being a father changes your perspective greatly on these things as you care so much for your child ...

I am in a bit of a fit tonight because of that.  I was just thinking what if it was me away on business... I was just in Las Vegas for T.H.E. Show!

This creep could have been stalking my family and my house too.

:evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :uzi:  :uzi:  :flame:  :guns:  :duel:  :cuss:

Tomorrow I'm going around to meet with all my neighbors as we live in a very new development with new people moving in every month.

I'm going to ask them to get to know their neighbors, leave their lights on at night for safety and to keep an eye out for odd men lurking around our neighborhood.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2006, 04:52 am »
I'm going to ask them to get to know their neighbors, leave their lights on at night for safety and to keep an eye out for odd men lurking around our neighborhood.

Very good idea Ryan. When you know all your neighbors and who should and should not be lurking around, it provide a good sense of well being.

By the way, my 7 year old twin boys' birthday is Cinco de Mayo!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2006, 05:06 am »
Okay, now how do you stop thinking about what might of happend if a neighbor did not notice the fire and run into the house to get everyone out.

I guess just be thankful for the outcome and not worry or think about it any other way.

Zero

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2006, 05:11 am »
Bill,

Wow - I am very glad your kid and his friend made it out ok, sans the cold feet! I am not a father, but that is scary stuff right there!!

meby

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2006, 05:47 am »
Bill,
   Sorry to hear about the scare.  Sometimes incidents like this help to put perspective in life and show how important family truely is :!:

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2006, 12:38 pm »
WOW, that is pretty scarry.  I am glad to hear your boys are ok.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2006, 01:34 pm »
Bill,

That was some kind of scare.  I am glad your boy is safe.  I can't imagine the thoughts that would race through my head if my girl was in that situation.  As I am thinking what I would do, I have a question about your scary situation last night.  Where was the mother?  Was there no adult in that house except the boyfriend piddling around the detatched garage?

PhilNYC

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2006, 03:28 pm »
Bill,

Glad to hear your son (and the rest of the kids) are ok.  I can definitely sympathize with the anxiety you faced and the notion that you can't stop thinking about it.

Back in 2002, I received "that call" on a Saturday night at 2am from my brother..."Mom and Dad have been in a car accident".  Both Mom and Dad survived (although Dad was given a very slim chance of making it in the days after the accident...thank god he was a relatively healthy 72-year-old and had the strength to fight off multiple organ failure), but that night and the weeks following have lived with me ever since.  I don't think you can ever really get over it, but you can certainly grow to appreciate the things you have to a much greater degree...

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2006, 03:37 pm »
Where was the mother? Was there no adult in that house except the boyfriend piddling around the detatched garage?

I think the mother was in the house with the boys and the boyfriend went down the street to get them something to eat.

I don't think you can ever really get over it, but you can certainly grow to appreciate the things you have to a much greater degree...

I agree, things like this stay with you for some time. I will be installing a few more fire detectors/smoke alarms in my house today.

barnestn

Smoke detectors
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2006, 03:13 pm »
I am thankful that your experience ended positively and no one was injured.  After 31 years in the fire service, I have seen just about everything which is fire related and believe me -- fire can occur in any home, regarless of price, regardles of build quality and regardless of how careful the occupants are.  The two best tools for fire safety are education and early detection systems (smoke detectors).  Please practice fire drills in the home so everyone knows what to do in event of a fire (how to exit, have a meeting place outside, etc.)  Regardless of any local, state or federal recommendations pertaining to smoke detectors--- I believe in having a smoke detector in every room, every hallway, basement, attic and garage.  Smoke detectors are not that expensive and if maintained properly (fresh battaries) they do SAVE LIVES.  I hope you never have to go through something like this again.  Bob Barnes, Battalion Chief, Bristol TN Fire Deptartment.