The upcoming year in the projector market....

ctviggen

« on: 14 Jan 2006, 06:25 pm »
Sometime this year, I'd like to transition to a front projector.  Man, are prices coming down.  According to:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/ces_2006.htm

there should be multiple 720p DLP projectors to compete with the new -- and highly rated -- LCD projectors.  And that's in the price range of 2-3k, which is amazing.  My finances won't let me make any transition until probably late this year, but that might not be too bad, as some of these projectors might not be out until then.  This should be a "fun" year in the front projector world.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2006, 06:55 pm »
Yup, video in general will make some big leaps up in quality while prices continue to shoot down.

If my HT doesn't sell with my house, I will look to move my Marantz VP-12S1 ASAP so that it doesn't bottom out as all the new goodies come on the market.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2006, 07:31 pm »
I thought you already had your house sold?  If not, I wish you luck selling it!  

The projector market is becoming like the PC market -- as soon as you buy one, it's already outdated.  When I previously settled on my RPTV, the going price at that time for good projectors was over 10k, and that was used.  I can't believe they've dropped in price so fast, while quality ot the picture has improved so much.

brj

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2006, 08:32 pm »
Do current or announced projectors now throw out enough light that you can use them for normal daytime viewing in a typical living room?

Using a projector in a purpose built, light controlled home theater room seems like a great option, but I'll eventually be looking for a solution to use in my living room - which, when you include the attached dining area, has 7 floor to ceiling windows.  There is a lot of ambient light during the day, so I've always discounted front projection systems.  Are they bright enough now that I should finally consider them?

(I have to admit that if projectors are bright enough and retractable screens are of sufficient quality, it would give me some additional placement options in my room.)

Adz523

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2006, 01:27 pm »
Quote from: brj
Do current or announced projectors now throw out enough light that you can use them for normal daytime viewing in a typical living room?

Using a projector in a purpose built, light controlled home theater room seems like a great option, but I'll eventually be looking for a solution to use in my living room - which, when you include the attached dining area, has 7 floor to ceiling windows.  There is a lot of ambient light during the day, so I've always discounted front projection systems.  Are they ...

There are indeed but do you plan to use this projector for everyday family viewing including full access to every member of the family such as kids?  I ask because I don't think people realize that you really can't use a projector like your typical TV.  They take a few seocnds to warm up and several minutes to cool down when turned off.  So, you can;t tuyrn it on one minute watch for 30 minutes and then turn it off and then turn it on 5 minutes later.  And turning it on and off over long periods of time will get expensive as it really wears down the bulb life which is typically very short already (approx 2,000 hrs on average but that's with normal turn-on, turn off, degradation of the bulb is accelerated if you go beyond what the maunfacturer considered when concluding bulb life  ) and the bottom line is that bulbs can run from $400 up to $1,000 depending on the projector.   Something to strongly consider..

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2006, 08:05 pm »
Adz523 makes good points.  To expand upon it a little, I agree that a PJ isn't the perfect replacement for a regular TV for everyone.  It's true the bulb must warm up and then stabilize, and it takes time to cool down.  And if you have kids it can be a little worse.  Will you be able to teach them how to use the PJ?  If the thing is turned off without the proper cool down, you can severely shorten bulb life.  YOu can even break the bulb.  And no PJ will look great with the lights on, no matter how bright.  After all, you can't get a deeper black with an FPTV than the ambient light hitting the screen.

That said, I'll never go back to a regular TV. :)

Ears

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2006, 02:51 am »
Me neither.......but a 1080p dlp in the next 6 months or so is on my must do list.

jermmd

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2006, 03:20 am »
We just watched Polar Express on my Panny 900 and the picture was absolutely perfect. The colors were right on and the picture was crystal clear. I was so blown away by how good it was that I had to post.  This projector has my highest recommendation.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2006, 04:16 am »
Cool, jermmd.  That's the one I'm leaning towards now, too.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2006, 07:06 am »
Quote from: brj

Using a projector in a purpose built, light controlled home theater room seems like a great option, but I'll eventually be looking for a solution to use in my living room - which, when you include the attached dining area, has 7 floor to ceiling windows.  There is a lot of ambient light during the day, so I've always discounted front projection systems.  Are they ...

actually you should look at the Sony "blackscreen"...It only reflects red/blue/green light so your picture does not appear as washed out in rooms with greater ambient light.

I'm not sure where they are on production of this item but it seems like a great idea for office settings, brighter home settings etc.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2006, 07:14 am »
Sony "BlackScreen" is better known as ChromaVue™.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/news_story_767.htm