Newbie to this "circle"

oscar

Newbie to this "circle"
« on: 14 Jan 2006, 01:41 am »
I just found out about this site and am "exploring" for new audio experiences.  Do you folks have anything to do with the (so-called) "Dallas Audio Club" ?  Seems you have occasional "jams" and they've been having the occasional (equivalent to) "jams" independent of y'all as far as I can tell.  Seems there are similar goals between the Dallas Audio Club and "North Texas Audio Jam".  I don't know if these two organizations are competing with each other or hate each other's guts or know that either organization exists.

I do know that "other" organization is having a meeting in Fort Worth Jan. 21 (Saturday).  Seems to me y'all might have an interest...

Just curious.

Thx

Oscar

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Newbie to this "circle"
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2006, 04:56 pm »
where can i find some information on the jam on the 21st in fort worth?

marvin

PhilNYC

Newbie to this "circle"
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2006, 05:38 pm »
Oscar,

Hope I'm not mis-speaking for the NTAJ, but I don't think anyone here is "competing" or "hates" any of the other clubs.  But for many Audiocircle members, the regional circles like this one, the NY Audio Rave, MAAC, etc were started because of the relationships developed on AC...it was very easy to use AC as a means of getting folks together.

marvda1

Newbie to this "circle"
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2006, 06:11 pm »
there have been some members of each "group" going to the other jams. i think the only difference being that one group concentrates on equipment and the other music with either group going towards the other depending on the members wishes at that particular jam.

marvin

brj

Re: Newbie to this "circle"
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2006, 06:38 pm »
Welcome to AC, Oscar!

Quote from: oscar
I just found out about this site and am "exploring" for new audio experiences.  Do you folks have anything to do with the (so-called) "Dallas Audio Club"?  Seems you have occasional "jams" and they've been having the occasional (equivalent to) "jams" independent of y'all as far as I can tell.

There is no formal connection between the two organisations, although some people in each group may be aware of each other, and I think there are one or two people that participate in both.  The DAC has been around longer and is thus a more established group.

I think the only real interaction between the two was when a DAC member posted an invite on AC.  I believe that RuSsMaN is a DAC member, and was kind enough to invite our little group to a get-together at his place last year.  Russ was a great host and everyone seemed to have fun, although I haven't seen Russ on AC lately.  I also seem to recall one other DAC invite on AC that I couldn't attend.

Basically, I think that members each group would be happy to attend any "jam" together as long as the host is the one that posts the invitation.  We wouldn't want to crash the party! :)

Seems there are similar goals between the Dallas Audio Club and "North Texas Audio Jam".

Probably, although I don't know that we ever established formal goals.  I'd say that listening to good music on good gear in the company of good people pretty much sums it up!  (Of course, everyone has different definitions of "good," as applied to all three previous examples, but everyone is usually very tolerant of each other's tastes.)

I don't know if these two organizations are competing with each other or hate each other's guts

Yeah, we have a rumble every time they enter our 'hood....  Dualing systems at 20 paces... tightest bass wins!  :lol:

Obviously, I'm kidding!  No, whatever interaction occurs between the two should be nothing but a benefit to both groups.

or know that either organization exists.

I think that we do to some extent, but interaction has been sporadic.

I do know that "other" organization is having a meeting in Fort Worth Jan. 21 (Saturday). Seems to me y'all might have an interest...

Actually, I wasn't aware of it.  If the host is willing to extend an invitation to the NTAJ, then I'm sure that at least a few people might be interested in attending.  If the host is only expecting DAC members, we wouldn't want to burden them with additional attendees that they weren't expecting.  Space can get pretty tight at some get-togethers, so limiting attendance does become an unfortunate requirement on occasion.

Thanks for the notice, Oscar, and welcome again to both AC and the NTAJ!

FredT300B

• Facilitator
Newbie to this "circle"
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2006, 12:17 am »
Quote from: marvda1

marvin

You can find information about the meeting at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dallasaudioclub/?yguid=194150487

oscar

21 Jan meeting announcement
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2006, 01:53 am »
Quote from: FredT300B
Quote from: marvda1

marvin

You can find information about the meeting at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dallasaudioclub/?yguid=194150487

Okay, okay, that was me who posted the announcement.  I'll take it on faith I'll be able to manage a 2nd setup (3rd ?, 4th?)  to accommodate all the attendees. (I have the room for multiple setups, just not the equipment).

Someone's tentatively offered to bring a 2nd setup and another has offered KHorns (I'm not a big Horn fan but maybe I can snarf up some tube amplification to make these listenable IF I decide to "allow" their presence.

My system is combination HT/audio setup for Multichannel SACD/DVD-A/DD/DTS.

Front ends include Simmetry DVP Universal Player for multichannel (MC) SACD/DVD-A or Sony 777ES for 2-channel CD/SACD, Meitner Switchman MC preamp, Classe CA-400 amp for front channel, lesser Classe for rear/centers. Vienna Acoustic Mahlers/Oratorio for five speaker setup.  Mostly Kimber Select cabling, Silent Source PCs with plenty of "retired" cables in reserve.  Currently auditioning Sound Application Reference Linestage power conditioner.

Guest Appearance of EMM Meitner CD/SACD transport/DAC 2-channel combo just for grins; this alone makes it worthwhile for me to host a meeting. I've not enough experience with "reference" players.

Meeting starts at noon, Jan. 21, Meitner is scheduled to arrive at 10AM, this meeting will go as long as everyone wants.  Movie watching might start (demand permitting) come sunset.  

RSVPs needed; I'm expected to feed everyone ("DAC" rules) but there will be a penny jar for the guilt-ridden. Drop me a note for directions (Fort Worth Ridgmar Mall area).

3moons

Club Meetings
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2006, 01:16 pm »
So much audio, so little time. Oscar, Saturday should be a blast. Yep we all know each other to some extent and there are no enemies here. Looks like I've been missing some 'gatherings'. Which is a shame because I love listening to GR-Research speakers and Dodd amps when chances arise. Long live local guys like that! The North Texas Jam, Dallas Audio Club and the Texas Bottleheads all have the same passion and hobby. I've just been so busy with my website and Yahoo groups that I don't cruise Audio Circle, Karma, Audio Asylum, DIY Audio, Audio Roundtable, and all like I used to. Just not enough time or energy. I started the Dallas Audio Club as a gathering spot for digital dudes... and dudettes to get together and share new and interesting music in each other's homes. Of course it's bled over into vinyl and home theater too. Didn't even realize there were other enthusiasts doing somewhat similar meetings at the time. See you Saturday!  Ò¿Ò jim...

marvda1

Newbie to this "circle"
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2006, 06:28 pm »
count me in. need directions.

marvin

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
I'll be there
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2006, 08:16 pm »
Okay, I'm coming and bringing a few interesting items to play with.  :D  Gary Dodd says he will come too and also bring some interesting pieces of gear.

oscar

Hmmmmm....looks like we might have enough equipment ...
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2006, 09:48 pm »
for a third setup (which means moving bedroom furniture around).  Might have to scrounge up another source, ICs, speaker cables... (or cannibalize the surround setup).

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Newbie to this "circle"
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2006, 09:59 pm »
Oscar,

You might want to try dropping Gary's amps and pre-amp into your main system. What he is bringing is seriously good. This set of amps and pre-amp has even been modded with Teflon based Sonicap Platinum's (high resolution).

I am bringing a balanced power supply and a modded DAC-60 for you to play with. Also some new cables if we need them, and a prototype speaker that is a bit interesting.

Let me know if you need another source though. I can bring a CEC transport too if I have too.

oscar

Meitner will probably crowd out the 777E in the main system
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2006, 10:32 pm »
and I can use this in a 2nd system Someone's bringing most of a 2nd setup but I don't know if that includes a source.  I'm curious what a decent DAC could do using the 777 as a transport.  OTOH, maybe "A/B" 777/DAC vs Meitner in the main system...

No one's offered up a turntable yet but no biggie. Hopefully, vinylphiles won't be too disappointed.