tunable bass absorber

Joules

tunable bass absorber
« on: 13 Jan 2006, 05:51 pm »
I have an idea for a large tunable bass absorber. This is a large panel to be put on the rear wall, in an effort to reduce very low freq room modes. If the rear wall were to look like, or sound like an open window, lonitudenal LF room modes would perty much go away - I think. The plan is to build a large box with uncut 4' x 8' x 3/4 pltwood front and back and the sides would be dimentional lumber 2x8 or 2x10 or so to form an easily built box. Istall 32 cheep 12" (about $15 ea) woofers in the in the front of the box and wire them to a single pair of terminals. NOW I can wire a pot across the teminal and ajust the amount of acoustic obsorbtion I like. I could even put an LCR filter across the terminals to tune to a particular Freq.
HHHmmm ... I wonder if it would work?

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: tunable bass absorber
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2006, 09:36 pm »
Joules,

> lonitudenal LF room modes would perty much go away ... a large box with uncut 4' x 8' <

Good so far.

> Istall 32 cheep 12" (about $15 ea) woofers in the in the front <

A lot better - and much easier! - is to make a wood panel membrane bass trap, tuned to the front-back axial mode. Below is an old photo of my home recording studio with a bunch of those around the front of the room. These are not tuned to the front-back axial mode (the room is 34 feet long), but I suppose they could be. I also have more in the rear corners, and a few other places around the room.

--Ethan