ModWright Does Vinyl...

modwright

ModWright Does Vinyl...
« on: 13 Jan 2006, 05:27 am »
Okay guys, many of you have been asking about the phono pre and patiently waiting.  I am finally now in a position to dedicate a significant amount of my energy toward making it happen.  I have set a target date of March of this year to at least have Beta versions available.  Unlike the 9.0SE preamp beta units, these will be full production versions, simply being sent to beta testers for final evaluation.  Beta testers will receive attractive pricing of course.

'Blue' option, SWLP9.0SE.

PS 9.0 power supply used with SWLP9.0SE.

So far, the design will be as follows:

SE input and output - not balanced.
MM and MC - switchable.
MC gain = 65dB - 70dB is my goal.
Design will be hybrid SS and tube.
Cartridge loading will be possible.
Step-up transformers will not be used for MC gain.

Unit will be available as an upgrade option for the 9.0SE and as a standalone unit.  Standalone unit may have volume control and one extra input for vinyl purists who want to run direct to their amp.

Pricing is still TBD, but it will represent the same level of value and performance as the 9.0SE at its price-point.

Those interested in contributing with ideas, suggestions, etc. are welcome to contribute to this thread.  All ideas will be considered and your help in making this a world-class product would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2006, 06:56 pm by modwright »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
ModWright Does Vinyl...
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2006, 07:17 pm »
Dan,

How about I send you my unit for a "beta" phono upgrade.  I would like both MM/MC or just MC (if not having a switch is better sonically).   One of my phono pre has separate input for MM and MC for that reason.  If the phono section compares to the linestage, I am sure it will be a bargain.  I have Art Audio Vinyl One and Ear 834p that I will be able to compare yours with once I get it back.  Can you also incorporate the Felicia balanced power conditioning in the new power suppy.  I was very impressed with it when I used it on my analog chain.  I would also like the Revelation power umbilical.

meby

ModWright Does Vinyl...
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2006, 07:46 pm »
Dan,
     Just curious as why you are not going to use step up transformers for the MC?

modwright

Vinyl
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2006, 03:33 am »
First of all, I will look into some AC filtering in the new supply.  I am also going to offer a high-grade umbilical for the supply, but it will likely be different than that which is used with the mods, as there will be more conductors and different connectors.  I will likely have Revelation Audio Labs make it for us and it will likely be a copper design.

I am hesitatnt to use step-up transformers because of the added inductance that they add.  I may experiment with them once the design is complete, but I believe that we will be able to achieve an even better overall design without them.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Bemopti123

ModWright Does Vinyl...
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2006, 03:42 am »
Pardon my ignorance Dan, but is there a possibility of making this preamp, transformer coupled?  I remember about 2 years ago that transformer coupled was something that was in rave in all circles.  How would it change the design, the sound signature as well as the pricing of the end product and in what context or reasons wouldn't make it a feasable option to the design?

Paul K

modwright

Tranformer Coupling
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2006, 04:57 am »
I don't know if we will make this available or not.  It would add significantly to the price, for GOOD transformers to be used.  I will share more as I get closer to finallizing the design.

I am working closely with Alan Kimmel on this and we are both excited about the project.

Thanks,

Dan

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
ModWright Does Vinyl...
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2006, 05:09 am »
Keep me posted on this one Dan and put me down for one from the first batch. I am bringing in a new highly regard table line and want an exceptional phono stage to match.

meby

ModWright Does Vinyl...
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2006, 05:39 am »
Bill,
  What tables are you going to be carrying?

modwright

Phono
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2006, 05:13 am »
You got it Bill.  You and every other dealer and a number of customers have said the same ;).  It sounds like our first production run may be pre-sold before their even complete....

I am experimenting with the Russian 6C45 tube in the first stage.  I will share more progress later this week.

Thanks,

Dan

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
ModWright Does Vinyl...
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2006, 02:39 am »
You and every other dealer and a number of customers have said the same

WHAT? I'm not the only one getting one of these. Forget it :lol:  Okay, you know i'm kidding. I figured everyone would want one, especially if they have heard the linestage.

Bill,
What tables are you going to be carrying?

I can't say yet that I will be carrying them but I want the JA Mitchell line. I can't wait to have a Gyro Dec in the showroom hooked up to the ModWright pre and phono stage feeding some SETs driving the Usher D2s or Bella SP-2s with teh full sub system. Working on it now.

modwright

Phono
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2006, 09:11 pm »
No problem Bill, you know that :).

I am working hard on the prototype and am excited about our progress so far.

Thanks,

Dan

balji

• http://www.highdefzone.us
ModWright Does Vinyl...
« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2006, 06:43 pm »
Bill
I was also thinking of bringing in Phonograms from Opera Consonance. What do you think of them? Are they pure looks? or do they also have great engineering put into them?

Thanx

TheChairGuy

ModWright Does Vinyl...
« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2006, 09:17 pm »
Hey Dan,

What's the latest on this new product...are you still taking beta testers?  :)

Put me on the list (unless you're talking a lot more than linestage costs now) ... if so.  

Thx, John

modwright

Beta Testers.
« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2006, 10:29 pm »
I am still looking for Beta testers and the price will be attractive.

Thanks,

Dan

mtodde

ModWright Does Vinyl...
« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2006, 04:48 pm »
If a beta is reality by mid March I would be interested in participating.

modwright

Beta
« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb 2006, 06:49 pm »
I intend to have at least a prototype ready by the end of March to show with at the Montreal show in Quebec.  If I am successful and satisfied enough with the design by then, Beta units will be available in April.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

SWLP 9.0SE - Prototype Updates
« Reply #16 on: 20 Mar 2006, 05:47 am »
Hi guys, the standalone SWP 9.0SE (phono preamp) has migrated to the SWLP 9.0SE (full preamp with phono) and is ready for its first public appearance.

We will be showing in Montreal next week at Son and Vision.  We will be showing with Bruce Edgar of Edgarhorns with a VERY special pair of Edgarhorn speakers that should be the star of the show.

We will be using a Cye Brennan(sp?) SET amp, Acoustic Zen cabling throughout, ModWright Sony 9100ES with Signature Truth mods and the first prototype SWLP 9.0SE preamp with phono.  TT will be Nottingham w/Lyra Argo cart.

The phono stage currently provides 64dB total gain, via six tubes: (2) 6C45's, (2)6N1P's and (2)5687's.  No step up transformers are used.  MC gainstage is tube-fet hybrid design.  The SWLP 9.0SE features an outboard PS with discrete choke and FET regulation.

I am very pleased with the design so far - excellent detail, broad soundstage and low noise-floor.  I am still working out the methods of cartridge loading and some of the finer functional aspects of both the standalone and integral phono preamp.

Montreal will be a great time to get critical feedback.

Thanks,

Dan W.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
ModWright Does Vinyl...
« Reply #17 on: 20 Mar 2006, 01:59 pm »
Yes, finally a light at the end of the tunnel.   :D

I wish you the best at the show but I am sure it will be good.  I already voted with my actions.  Haven't I? :lol: April you say? I guess I better save some of the tax return money.  :mrgreen: Please keep us posted with the show result.

TheChairGuy

ModWright Does Vinyl...
« Reply #18 on: 20 Mar 2006, 02:42 pm »
Neat tube compliment, Dan!  Good luck at the show - look forward to hearing pricing details shortly afterwards.

JoshK

ModWright Does Vinyl...
« Reply #19 on: 20 Mar 2006, 02:50 pm »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
Neat tube compliment, Dan!

Exactly what I was thinking.  Those are all very good tubes.  The MC gain being tube/fet sounds like a very slick idea, nice way to get the tube linearity and purity with a more ideal load.