What have I done to my SB2?

chadh

« on: 12 Jan 2006, 06:11 am »
After two weeks making music, my squeezebox has decided not to make any noise.  Last night the SB2 was feeding a digital signal to a Monarchy DIP, then to a smART DI/O and then to my headphone amp.  No sound.  Tonight the analogue outs are fed straight into the headphone amp.  Still no sound.

When I feed the DVD player into the headphone amp, I get music.  So it's not the amp or the headphones.

When I turn the SB2 on, I get all the stuff about finding a wireless connection and connecting to a slim server.  That happens successfully.  I select some music, and the SB2 display suggests that the signal is received.  It shows progression through the track, and the little graphical monitor shows the sound level at various frequencies.  Everything seems to work.  But suddenly there's no sound.

Any suggestions?

Chad

ctviggen

« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2006, 01:10 pm »
Did you change any settings?  Have you done the entire "reboot everything"?  I had a similar thing happen when I changed the settings to "fade in and fade out" -- the SB2 looked as if were playing, but no sound came out.  I've not checked lately whether this bug has been fixed.

chadh

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2006, 02:31 pm »
I've certainly turned everything off (PC, wireless router, squeezebox and the rest of the audio gear), and then turned everything back on.

Have I changed any settings?  Hmmm...

I got one of the Hosfelt power supplies, and put that into action.  But the problem seemed to exist prior to that.  And when I swap the original supply in the problem isn't solved.

My wireless router comes with its own firewall.  I wanted to check the channel setting for the router, to avoid phone interference, so I had to break out the place where I manipulate the firewall stuff.  Worried that this had messed things up, I went through to make sure that all the appropriate ports were open etc.  Now, I did have to change the squeezebox local IP address (for some reason, it showed up as xxx.xxx.xxx.4 in some places and xxx.xxx.xxx.5 in others.  Now they're all xxx.xxx.xxx.4.  Regardless, the SB2 seems to think it's receiving all appropriate information from the router (it gets the time, and the name of songs, and time lapsed while playing a song etc), so at this stage I presume it's not a router/firewall issue.

As for the player, I don't think I've changed any settings at all.  Maybe I'll go and check.

Thanks.

Chad

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2006, 03:55 pm »
I've read somewhere that one of the internal chips (I think it was the DAC) can come loose from its socket causing the same issue. You may wan to take and unplug the unit, pull the cover off, make sure you ground yourself before you touch anything inside, then firmly (yet gently) push any chips you see that use sockets down to insure proper contact.

Again, I've only read about this and haven't experienced it first hand. Heck, I haven't even cracked the case yet so I have no idea if there are any sockets employed in the design.

Maybe one of the other guys here could confirm what I've read elsewhere?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2006, 04:11 pm »
Quote from: Scott F.
I've read somewhere that one of the internal chips (I think it was the DAC) can come loose from its socket causing the same issue. You may wan to take and unplug the unit, pull the cover off, make sure you ground yourself before you touch anything inside, then firmly (yet gently) push any chips you see that use sockets down to insure proper contact.

Again, I've only read about this and haven't experienced it first hand. Heck, I haven't even cracked the case yet so I have no idea if there are any sockets  ...

Hi Scott,

The Burr Brown dac is not attached to a socket (it is surface mount soldered directly to the board), but there is a plug-in card that is attached via a socket.  Still...if that wasn't plugged in firmly, I don't think the unit would have the all functionality that chadh mentioned (ie, it boots up and shows a display and acts like it is playing music...just no sound).

Hi Chadh,

Are you sure the mute isn't ON?  Did you turn up the volume with the remote?

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2006, 07:19 pm »
Quote from: Vinnie R.
Hi Scott,

The Burr Brown dac is not attached to a socket (it is surface mount soldered directly to the board), but there is a plug-in card that is attached via a socket.  Still...if that wasn't plugged in firmly, I don't think the unit would have the all functionality that chadh mentioned (ie, it boots up and shows a display and acts like it is playing music...just no sound).

Hiya Vinnie,

Glad somebody here knows how those things work :lol:

chadh

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2006, 08:56 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.

I had no idea there was a mute button on the remote, so I'll check that out when I get home.  (How embarrassing would that be?!?!?!)

As for the volume adjustment, I've disabled the volume controls on the SB2 (and I checked that slimserver still had this option selected).  So I shouldn't have any influence from the SB2 volume controls.  I wonder if that also means that the SB2 mute shouldn't work?

Chad

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2006, 09:06 pm »
Quote from: chadh

I had no idea there was a mute button on the remote, so I'll check that out when I get home.  (How embarrassing would that be?!?!?!)

As for the volume adjustment, I've disabled the volume controls on the SB2 (and I checked that slimserver still had this option selected).  So I shouldn't have any influence from the SB2 volume controls.  I wonder if that also means that the SB2 mute shouldn't work?

Chad

Doh!  There is no mute on the SB remote....I had it mixed up with the Olive Symphony!  Sorry for the confusion.  Maybe I should get to bed earlier tonight  :roll:

jholtz

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2006, 09:17 pm »
Chad,

Actually, the volume control on the SB and on the remote will still change the volume even with the option to disable it selected in Slimserver. I found this out the hard way.  :lol:

I think you need to do some hardware resets. I'm at work so I don't have the list but there are 4 different things that you can reset in the hardware when you have problems like yours. I'll post them this evening.

Jim

Quote from: chadh

Chad

jholtz

Squeezebox hardware reset codes..
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2006, 11:27 pm »
Here are the processes to do hardware resets:

Perform these after disconnecting the power and while powering the SB up.

1. Hold down the brightness key causes a firmware update.

2. Holding ADD while powering on resets to the factory default settings.

3. Holding down the power button -> full hardware reboot

4. press 1 during reset or power on -> re-flash xilinx cpld (io ports)

Hope these help!

Jim

chadh

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2006, 12:03 am »
Okay, great.  I wasn't going crazy when I couldn't find the mute!  

Thanks for the rebooting options.  I'll give them a go and see what happens.

Chad

chadh

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2006, 02:59 am »
Well, many thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  I have music again!  Woohoo!

It seemed there were (at least) two problems.

One problem was with the SB2, or the settings, or something.  I tried a couple of the rebooting options.  At some stage I tried changing the volume with the SB2 remote, and some weird things happened.  The volume level displayed would change, and would then immediately revert to its original level.  And through that process it would ocassionally flash the word "muting" on the screen.  I have no idea what that meant, or how it happened.  However, once I'd done a complete rebooting of the system with original factory settings, this seemed to go away.  Yay!

For simplicity's sake I was running the analog outs to the pre-amp.  And this allowed me to get music.  But when I took the digital out to the DIP and then to the DI/O the music went away.  Playing around a little I found that SB2 -> DI/O -> pre-amp worked.  So either the DIP or the extra digital cable wasn't working.  I replaced the digital cable, but still no joy.  So it looks like my DIP is on the fritz, which helped to confound my problems.

Anyway, I have music now.  Thanks again for everyone's help.

Chad