I hate when I'm wrong! CES 2006/THE Show thoughts on CDWG

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jan 2006, 01:48 pm »
Bruno,

Nice fix dude(there's the credit :lol: ).

Jim R,

Sorry I missed you at "The Show" would've been nice to meet you in person. I agree with you about the wave guides and the speaker in general. The workmanship and overall beauty the wave guide gives to the speaker really puts it in another class. I think that is just an "added" bonus.

I wonder what the cdwg will do with a 626r used as a side or rear speaker...does it turn it into a bipole since you have 180 degree dispersion???

As far as using it as in a  front speaker you will get greater vertical and horizontal dispersion and this is really ideal. I am really excited to try this out on my RM-30's....

Larry
WWW.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com

ctviggen

« Reply #21 on: 11 Jan 2006, 01:59 pm »
Yeah, when are the CDWGs going to be ready for the RM30s?  I also want to try this on my RM30C.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #22 on: 11 Jan 2006, 02:29 pm »
hopeully Brian will chime in here and say. He just got back from CES so give him sometime to get re-adjusted to his daily life......OK that was enough time!!!!

I am doing level 2 training for THX and we get to play with toys all day today. No more taking tests.......

Funny thing is John Dahl the head for this THX training is a big two channel guy and has some good stuff(non-thx) in his music room. He is also working with Floyd Toole and Tony Grimali on some stuff that I can't state but should be very interesting........

Larry

John B

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jan 2006, 04:44 pm »
Also in the VMPS setup at CES was the  Audiophile APS Pure Power 1050 power Regenerator.   An oft overlooked component that dare I say provided clean/stable power to all the compoenents, including the 250 wpc tube amps, allowing them to perform at their best.  Several rooms in that building experienced power dips and surges that damaged equipment during the night.  I was warned about that several times and advised to tell Brian to keep the equipment powered down at night.  I said no problem, we're protected...and we were.  :mrgreen:

John Casler

« Reply #24 on: 11 Jan 2006, 06:13 pm »
Quote from: lkosova
hopeully Brian will chime in here and say. He just got back from CES so give him sometime to get re-adjusted to his daily life......OK that was enough time!!!!

Larry

As luck would have it, Brian got home exhausted and now has come down with the flu :cry:

I assume he will be out of commision for a couple days.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #25 on: 11 Jan 2006, 06:17 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I've never been into that particular fetish (imaging) but I'd still love to hear something like that.  Up til now I suppose the Onix Ref 1's are probably the best I've heard in that regard.  

I'm curious as hell how 5 x 626r's w/CDWG would work for MC music. :o

Rob
I've appreciated better imaging qualities in other systems (esp like John B's), but I never felt it was something I couldn't live without at home.  Now that I've got instruments 10' behind the speakers, I'm really excited about getting the room & other components upgraded to improve the quality that I know the speakers are capable of.

John Casler

« Reply #26 on: 11 Jan 2006, 07:46 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
Yeah, when are the CDWGs going to be ready for the RM30s?  I also want to try this on my RM30C.

With a little luck we may have some in the RM30 shipment in Feb.

We have started a "pre-order" list.

John Casler

« Reply #27 on: 11 Jan 2006, 07:56 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I'm curious as hell how 5 x 626r's w/CDWG would work for MC music. :o

It would be hard to imagine a better solution to surround speakers that need to be monopoles.

This is one of the best applications of "constant directivity" from what I can see.

It should offer the most engulfing and seamless of any multi-channel speaker type.

Imagine that each speaker is on an electric stand like the electric side mirrors on your car, but you don't have to adjust them for "perfect" directivity to your listening position.

So where ever you sit within the dispersive "radiation fan" of each speaker, you get full frequency and directivity from that speaker, so there are no "gaps" in the soundfield.

Not to get off the subject, but B and I were talking about what this means to "inwall" speakers.

Aside from the fact that none of us take "inwalls" seriously, if they had 180 degrees of directivity, they would certainly be more effective in their use.

ctviggen

« Reply #28 on: 11 Jan 2006, 08:12 pm »
John,

What are your thoughts on the 626s with CDWG for home theater?  I think the dipoles might still provide a more diffuse sound.  If I had 7 channel, I'd use dipoles in the back plud 626s near the sides.

John Casler

« Reply #29 on: 11 Jan 2006, 08:25 pm »
John,

What are your thoughts on the 626s with CDWG for home theater?  I think the dipoles might still provide a more diffuse sound.  If I had 7 channel, I'd use dipoles in the back plud 626s near the sides.

For DD5.1, DTS 5.1, 6.1 and MCM, the 626R with CDWG would be hard to beat.

The VMPS dipoles, as most know, are actually bipolar, and as such, will also work quite well for rear speakers in HT apps.

Here's a thought, which I haven't considered.  What about the Ribbon Dipoles "with cdwg's"?

I'm not certain, but initially that seems as if it could be "VERY" special

ctviggen

« Reply #30 on: 11 Jan 2006, 08:34 pm »
Sorry John -- I always get confused between Bi and Di. (One's in phase; one's out; what makes one "bi" and one "di"?)

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Bruno B
« Reply #31 on: 11 Jan 2006, 08:53 pm »
Bruno B:

Yes, you gave me the idea.  Designers have been front-loading tweeters for years now to flatten their response.  It made sense that removing same would cause the HF response to rise, which is what we want with the CDWG.  My thanks and kudos to you!

John Casler

« Reply #32 on: 11 Jan 2006, 09:03 pm »
Sorry John -- I always get confused between Bi and Di. (One's in phase; one's out; what makes one "bi" and one "di"?)

True Dipolar is "out of phase".   Bipolar is in the same phase.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 11 Jan 2006, 09:21 pm »
This hobby is supposed to be fun.  Thanks to Brian (& Bruno) for creating a gizmo to add to our ribbons that improves performance, with absolutely no downside except moderate cost, & dramatic increases to the fun factor.  

Warning: The speaker performance jumps up so much higher that you may be tempted to upgrade other stuff!  (but not absolutely necessary...I'm starting with room acoustics...)

ctviggen

« Reply #34 on: 11 Jan 2006, 10:27 pm »
John, I know that's the technical difference, but there's no way for one just observing the words to know that.  Bi means two while a dipole is two poles.  Thus, my predilection to get them confused.

youngho

Mnemonics
« Reply #35 on: 12 Jan 2006, 01:01 am »
My mnemonic involves the first letter of each word:

Bipole: Both sides of the loudspeakers produce the same signal (i.e Bipoles=both, are in phase)

Dipole : Different sides of the loudspeakers produce different signal (i.e. Dipoles=different, are out of phase)