I2s Turbo Off Ramp to newly modded Perp Tech P3a DAC

Marbles

I'm currently using my computer as a source to my ref stereo.

I beleive I'm the first customer to use the I2s Turbo Off Ramp to modded P3a DAC.

I've had this now for a week or two.  I have to say I'm VERY impressed with the playback.  It is by far the best digital playback system I've ever heard, and I don't know what would be a distant 2nd place.

The music is just REAL.

The imaging and layering is as good or better than my vinyl playback system, and it doesn't have the noisefloor.

Steve wrote a good explanation on why a pc is a good source here:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/nugent.htm

I'm sure that the reason I'm getting such great playback is the reduction in jitter to near 0 levels.

Anyway, if you get a chance to demo the I2s Turbo Off Ramp and modded P3a DAC, I think you will be floored as well.

I use Foobar2K>upsampled to 24/96 with Secret Rabbit>output with ASIO>to the I2s Turbo Off Ramp>P3a>pre-amp>amp>speakers.

Setup was surprisingly easy.

HIGHEST recommendation.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2006, 05:45 pm »
Rob,

How do you access your computer?

What is the price of Steve's mods?

George

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2006, 05:52 pm »
Quote from: zybar
Rob,

How do you access your computer?

What is the price of Steve's mods?

George

George, my computer is in my basement where the ref system is, so I will sit at it and select the playlists.

Then as I'm sitting and listening, I remotely control Foobar2K with my Snapstream Firefly remote ($50).

The Turbo Offramp is $950 (I think), and my Perp Tech P3a has been modded MANY times by Steve, and I get incremental charges, so I don't know what the total cost would be....it's not cheap.

If you go to http://www.empiricalaudio.com/ and click on compnent mod, then click on the Perp Tech P3a, it will take you to ALL the different mods you can get and their costs.

I just checked and am a little chagrined at what this has cost me, but listening makes me feel A LOT better about the costs  :wink:

It looks like $3300 with a factory new P3a (less of course if you buy one used.) and the $950 for the I2s Turbo Off Ramp.

Holy hell, for $4K it SHOULD sound great...(and it does!)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2006, 05:56 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
George, my computer is in my basement where the ref system is, so I will sit at it and select the playlists.

Then as I'm sitting and listening, I remotely control Foobar2K with my Snapstream Firefly remote ($50).

The Turbo Offramp is $950 (I think), and my Perp Tech P3a has been modded MANY times by Steve, and I get incremental charges, so I don't know what the total cost would be....it's not cheap.

If you go to http://www.empiricalaudio.com/ and click on compnent mod, then click on the Perp Tech P ...

Thanks Rob.

Although not cheap, it sounds like a bargain compared to a DCS or Meitner stack.  Plus, having all your cd's available to you via the computer is so addictive!

Enjoy.

George

Nick B

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2006, 06:56 am »
I was in the Empirical Audio room on Thursday with the Levinson preamp  and Parasound monos. The digital was a delight to listen to...very accurate, effortless, musical, non-fatiguing sound. Wish the stuff was more affordable.

gongos

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2006, 07:06 am »
You don't have to spend a ton of money. I bought a RWA USB Select $400, paired with a Empirical Ack! Dack! for $650. For $1000 you can get pretty close to the $4000 setup. You just have to be a smart shopper. :D

Nick B

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2006, 08:15 am »
Due to the fine folks here at AC, I've decided to try computer based audio. I have a new SB2 waiting to be modded. Should have all the harddrive, software etc up and running within a month....I hope.

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2006, 02:57 pm »
Quote from: gongos
You don't have to spend a ton of money. I bought a RWA USB Select $400, paired with a Empirical Ack! Dack! for $650. For $1000 you can get pretty close to the $4000 setup. You just have to be a smart shopper. :D

You can also get an Empirical USB I2s Off Ramp for $550, but no Superclock3.

The modded P3a is really a TERRIFIC dac.  If I were to do it over again, I would at least demo the GR Research (sonicap) modded 60 dac to compare to the modded P3a.

That might really be a bargain system, but I have not heard the modded 60.

I was never impressed with the Ack!Dac, but I never heard the EA modded version either.

It's always the last 10-20% of performence that costs the most.

Marbles

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2006, 03:07 pm »
Quote from: Nick B
I was in the Empirical Audio room on Thursday with the Levinson preamp  and Parasound monos. The digital was a delight to listen to...very accurate, effortless, musical, non-fatiguing sound. Wish the stuff was more affordable.

Thanks for the review of his system.  It's hard to seperate what was doing what in a system your not familiar with, but that's a pretty good description of what I think of the digital setup too.

kittyboy

Newbie question
« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2006, 06:57 pm »
If I'm using the EC I2S converter do I still need the P1A, or can I just use the P3A alone?

Just trying to sort out my cost/benefit ratios and options here.  Thanks.

audioengr

Re: Newbie question
« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2006, 05:51 am »
Quote from: kittyboy
If I'm using the EC I2S converter do I still need the P1A, or can I just use the P3A alone?

Just trying to sort out my cost/benefit ratios and options here.  Thanks.

I would recommend using the P-3A alone with the Off-Ramp I2S, unless you are using the room/speaker correction.  The P-1A is superfluous IMO.

Steve N.