Rhino Records

Rocket

Rhino Records
« on: 7 Jan 2006, 06:08 am »
Hi,

I'm thinkin about importing some cd's from rhino records and i'm wondering how good is their remastering?  I don't want to go to the expence of doing this if they don't sound any good.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Rod

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Rhino Records
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2006, 06:28 am »
Rod....which cd's are of interest to you ? Sometimes its hit or miss with remasters. Got a list ?
    Chris[/list:u]
      Rhino
website......[/list:u]

Rocket

Rhino Records
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2006, 06:44 am »
Hi Chris,

Various ones but will definitely buy the Inxs Anthrology (i have to laugh when they say its a sydney band they actually started in Perth my home town  :o ).

I'm an old Foreigner fan and would consider those cd's as well.

Regards

Rod

gslashcpc

Rhino Recordings
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2006, 06:59 am »
My first major Rhino cds were a series of compilations named "Didn't It Blow Your Mind-Soul Hits of the 70's" I found the re-mastering to be excellent. I knew much of this music only as 45's and was surprised at how good it sounded. The liner notes included much info about the artists, songs and background of the 70's. Later purchases included Doo Wop boxed sets and I remember thinking what a nice product given the questionable masters available according to the booklets (again-interesting notes on the groups and history of the music] in each set. I haven't gotten anything in a year from Rhino but with over 150 cds from them I wouldn't hesitate to do a little business again :!: .

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Rhino Records
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2006, 07:09 am »
Good choices Rod !!! :rock:
    And....I think you'll be happy with the sound. I have a few Rhino remasters...comparing the old to new....Rhino does a good job. Your looking  at the anthology releases I'd guess. 8) [/list:u]

Folsom

Rhino Records
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2006, 10:24 am »

DeanSheen

Rhino Records
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2006, 03:00 pm »
I've been tempted by two of their boxsets but havent heard any yet:

Black Sabbath - Black Box
Girl Group Sounds of the 60's

CELT in AR

• Space Doggy
Rhino Records
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2006, 04:07 pm »
I've bought many of Rhino's cd's over the past several years and have been very happy with them. So far has always been superior sound over the originals.  Yes, the INXS re-masters sound superb!

Rocket

Rhino records
« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2006, 11:16 pm »
Hi,

I received my rhino records remasters by the following artists last night:

Inxs (greatest hits)
Johnny Cash (the sun years)
John Coltrain (the best of)

The inxs remaster is a night/day improvement over the original version which i have at home.  No contest.  I am also amazed at how good the Johnny Cash cd sounds and it actually sounds better than the vast majority of discs i buy from newer artists.

The John Coltrane cd is okay.

I ordered these from tower records as they were cheaper and i will be ordering new ones soon.

Regards

Rod

SWG255

Paul Simon and Little Feat
« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2006, 01:01 am »
I bought the full Paul Simon Rhino box set, and every disc is substantially better than the originals. Even "you're the One", a very recent recording is better from the Rhino box. As a bonus most of the discs have additional tracks with some very good stuff, including slimmed down versions of songs which provide insight into the evolution of the song from the sparse arrangement to the full-blown arrangement we heard on the original release.

Also, the Rhino remastering of Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus" is the best sounding Little Feat CD in my collection, far superior to the original CD. Only the MFSL vinyl can compete with it, if you can find it. Again, the Rhino re-issue provides all the material on the original 2 LP release, plus previously unreleased material.

Soundbitten

Rhino Records
« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2006, 01:04 am »
Nuggets 1 & 2 , Children Of Nuggets , Girl Group Sound ... all are 4 cd box sets

Rocket

Rhino Records
« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2006, 01:26 am »
Hi,

I've ordered another 3 cd's a couple of days ago from rhino:

Fleetwood Mac (greatest hits)
The Coors
Foreigner (greatest hits)

Thanks for the heads up on the discs you've mentioned.  Although i've heard of Little Feat i haven't heard their music.  They weren't well known in australia when i was growing up.

Regards

Rod