5 speaker setup for $5K

Marbles

5 speaker setup for $5K
« on: 6 Jan 2006, 12:09 am »
If you had $5K and wanted a 5 speaker HT/2 channel setup, what would you buy?

No sub needed.

Let's say you wanted them in 2  months or less (Sorry this let's out SALK)

In no order, I would look to ACI, Selah and Odyssey.

Who would you look at?

F-100

5 speaker setup for $5K
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2006, 12:25 am »
If I have to start all over again and have $5K to spend, I would spend $3K on the Rocket 760 Ultra for my HT system.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=8.1

Then I would spend another $1.2K on this combo for my 2CH system.

Reference 1 + SP3 Integrated Amplifier Combo
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=65.1

and still have about $600 left to spend on a nice sub. Furthermore, AV123 have one of the best customer service in the audio industry.

:D  :D  :D  :D

bubba966

5 speaker setup for $5K
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2006, 12:25 am »
GR Research A/V-3's.

Maybe M&K S-150's.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
5 speaker setup for $5K
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2006, 12:27 am »
Rob,

I would go with four of the HT3's from Al at RAW:

with the HT2 center channel:

Assuming no discounts that still leaves you almost $1500 after getting them shipped to your house!!

That is a lot of performance for the money!

George

bhobba

Re: 5 speaker setup for $5K
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2006, 12:29 am »
Quote from: Marbles
If you had $5K and wanted a 5 speaker HT/2 channel setup, what would you buy?

No sub needed.

Let's say you wanted them in 2  months or less (Sorry this let's out SALK)

In no order, I would look to ACI, Selah and Odyssey.

Who would you look at?

I would go for SP technology timepieces at $2995 for the fronts. From reviews no subwoofer or center channel required.  For rears the VAF Icon 195 at $629.00 each (less for you US guys due to the exchange rate).  In fact you guys could probably make that a 7 speaker setup and still be under $5000.00.  It uses exactly the same drivers as their signature series which are reputably world class speakers.  If you really wanted a center channel I would go for a third Icon and the total price would still be under $5000.00.

Actually that is the system I am putting together amped by a Panny XR55.

Thanks
Bill

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
5 speaker setup for $5K
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2006, 12:36 am »
Another choice could be five of the SP Tech Essence AV-1's + two of the subs for just under $4k.

Having heard Bob's more expensive products I am sure this would be kick ass!

George

bhobba

5 speaker setup for $5K
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2006, 12:49 am »
Quote from: zybar
Another choice could be five of the SP Tech Essence AV-1's + two of the subs for just under $4k.

George

Yes indeed an excellent system.  But with that budget you could use the Timepieces (3db down at 28hz) for the fronts that would require no subwoofer, the essence AV1's in the rear and an AV2 for the center channel and still have money left over.  In fact it would be better than my first recommendation.  Only trouble is mounting those rears - the VAF's are wall mountable and are reasonably small.

Thanks
Bill

Bob15

5 speaker setup for $5K
« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2006, 01:15 am »
Quote from: bhobba
Quote from: zybar

George

Yes indeed an excellent system.  But with that budget you could use the Timepieces (3db down at 28hz) for the fronts that would require no subwoofer, the essence AV1's in the rear and an AV2 for the center channel and still have money left over.  In fact it would be better than my first recommendatio ...

The thread was for a HT system as well. Are you saying that 3dB down at 28Hz means no subwoofer is needed in a home theater setting?

Levi

5 speaker setup for $5K
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jan 2006, 01:41 am »
Don't forget to audition the Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home collection.  

bhobba

5 speaker setup for $5K
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jan 2006, 02:31 am »
Quote from: Bob15
The thread was for a HT system as well. Are you saying that 3dB down at 28Hz means no subwoofer is needed in a home theater setting?

That depends on your taste and room accoustics.  For home theater the standard is 110 db at 25hz.  Bobs speakers can reach that level at 28Hz and probably at 25hz so for me it looks OK.  Of course some may like bass lower than that ie what you feel rather than hear.  My experience with such however is that is not worth it.  I have a Richter Evokator that can easily reach to 18hz.  I could not even feel it in my normal listening position.  I however felt in my dunny - not the best place to listen to music or movies

Thanks
Bill

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
5 speaker setup for $5K
« Reply #10 on: 6 Jan 2006, 04:14 pm »
www.aperion.com
www.av123.com
www.ascendacoustics.com
www.htd.com

^^ You'll be shocked what you can get from any of these great companies for 5 grand or less.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
5 speaker setup for $5K
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jan 2006, 05:57 pm »
Quote from: Q-BanditZ
www.aperion.com
www.av123.com
www.ascendacoustics.com
www.htd.com

^^ You'll be shocked what you can get from any of these great companies for 5 grand or less.

It's aperionaudio.com -- not aperion.com. :D I have their 5.1 with old Polk SDAs to make 7.1 for HT.  Good HT with Outlaw electronics.  IMHO, they are not for really serious music appreciation.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
5 speaker setup for $5K
« Reply #12 on: 6 Jan 2006, 09:59 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi
Quote from: Q-BanditZ

www.aperionaudio.com
www.av123.com
www.ascendacoustics.com
www.htd.com

It's aperionaudio.com -- not aperion.com. :D I have their 5.1 with old Polk SDAs to make 7.1 for HT.  Good HT with Outlaw electronics.  IMHO, they are not for really serious music appreciation.

Sorry 'bout that!

FWIW, the last issue of Home Theater Magazine really gave some VERY high ratings on some of Aperion's newest speakers.

Adz523

5 speaker setup for $5K
« Reply #13 on: 7 Jan 2006, 09:02 pm »
Usher should be a strong consideration in the  $5k 5- speaker set-up price range.  The highly touted 6381 which I've demo'ed (see review from 6Moons) its X616 center channel and two X-718 side/rear surrounds should get you there.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/usher/6381.html