To repeat myself on information on the new preamps.

avahifi

The Transcendence Five, Transcendence Six, and Transcendence Seven preamplifiers have been discontinued and are out of production.

The T7 replacement is the new hybrid Ultra SL and EC series with new styling and a new mother board with eight separate high voltage analog power supplies, one for each section of each circuit.  There is a major improvement in musical performance.  The gain is 20 dB for the line stage, 40 dB at 1K Hz for the phono stage.  The output impedance is 560 ohms and these hybrid units are designed to drive long cables and strange amplifier input impedances.

The T5 and T6 replacement is the Transcendence Eight, a brand new pure vacuum tube preamp.  It also has new styling and a new mother board and eight high voltage high speed analog regulators, one for each half of each tube.  The gain is also 20 dB for line, 40 dB for phono at 1 K Hz.  Output impedance is about 5 K ohm, fine for any rational power amplifier and cables up to 12 feet or so.

The T8 is $1099, phono is a $299 option, remote control a $299 option, buffered tape outputs a $149 option.

The Ultra SL (straight line version) is $1449.  The Ultra EC (with tone controls and more switching and control functions) is $1799.  For both, phono is a $399 option, remote control a $299 option, and buffered tape outputs a $149 option.

These units are not available as do it yourself kits because they are very complex to build (over 350 parts to install on the mother board alone, with over 750 solder connections).

Shipping anywhere in the continental USA is $28 for any of these preamplifiers.

I have not had time to update the web site or the catalog yet.  Call me at 651-330-9871 for more details.

Thanks for your interest.

Frank Van Alstine

dawkimi

New preamps
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2006, 05:24 am »
Hi Frank,

Are you still offering upgrades to T7 "R" units and how much?  I am assuming this would sound identical to the Ultra units, but not have the updated cosmetics.  Thanks for your time and assistance.

Mike

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2006, 03:35 pm »
T7 SL without phono, upgrade to Ultra SL is $899
T7 SL with phono, upgrade to Ultra SL is $1099
Both stay in small SL chassis, no change in cosmetics.

T7 EC without phono, upgrade to Ultra EC is $999
T7 EC with phono, upgrade to Ultra EC is $1299
Both get new all in one mother board with eight active regulators.
New faceplate available for $100 extra.  Then identical to new.

Fet Valve amplifiers are upgradeable to Fet Valve Ultra series too, price depends upon previous model to be upgraded.  Matching black/gold faceplate also available with upgrades for $100 extra.

DACs are upgradeable too, but stay in small chassis, new faceplates not available for small chassis.

No direct upgrade path from previous small SL chassis to new Ultra SL in big chassis.  Nothing there to upgrade!  Resell and start over only possibility.  :(  Sorry about that.

Essentially all AVA small signal products have been moved to our big chassis with appropriate faceplates and back panels.  The chassis is 17" x 3.5" x 12" deep.  The small SL chassis has been discontinued.  Amplifiers remain in the existing chassis size and shape.

Frank Van Alstine

modular747

Re: To repeat myself on information on the new preamps.
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2006, 04:39 pm »
Quote from: avahifi
The output impedance is 560 ohms and these hybrid unit ...

I believe I read your analysis about the nonsense of balanced output/input for audio level signals some time ago in Audio Basics. What is your opinion of "current source" (infinite impedance) output/input being promoted by Krell and others.  This supposedly takes interconnect cable "problems" out of the loop (not that this has stopped marketing of hyper-expensive "current source" interconnects).

skrivis

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2006, 02:54 pm »
Quote from: modular747
The output impedance is 560 ohms and these hybrid unit ...

I believe I read your analysis about the nonsense of balanced output/input for audio level signals some time ago in Audio Basics. What is your opinion of "current source" (infinite impedance) output/input being promoted by Krell and others.  This supposedly takes interconnect cable "problems" out of the loop (not that this has stopped marketing of hyper-expensive "current source" interconnects).

There's some good info on these types of circuits at:
http://sound.westhost.com/ism.htm

tonyptony

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2006, 04:44 am »
The Ultra SL (straight line version) is $1449. The Ultra EC (with tone controls and more switching and control functions) is

Hi Frank. Is the Ultra built along the same lines as the older preamps? That is, the only way to get a HT bypass is to go for the EC variant?

avahifi

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2006, 03:08 pm »
Correct, the only preamp with a dedicated External Processor Loop (HT Bypass) is the Ultra EC model

However, there is no good reason why you cannot use one of the two Tape Loop sets on the Transcendence Eight or Ultra SL preamp to perform the same function.  Then the Buffered Tape Option ($149) would be a good idea to protect your sources from whatever strange input impedance the home theater process might have when connected to the tape outputs and turned off.

With the Ultra EC this is not a concern as in the EPL off position, whatever is attached to the preamp is completely disconnected.

Frank Van Alstine

tonyptony

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2006, 03:23 pm »
However, there is no good reason why you cannot use one of the two Tape Loop sets on the Transcendence Eight or Ultra SL preamp to perform the same function

Hmm, let me think about this. My setup is that the main L and R outputs from my HT rig go into my dedicated two channel preamp. The plan is to be able to switch that in instead of my normal two channel sources when I decide to have the HT stuff running. So I would need to be able to switch in that input with unity gain, to the outputs of the preamp going to my front main amp. Could I do that with the Ultra SL configuration that you've described?

avahifi

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2006, 05:53 pm »
How to use a T8 or Ultra SL with a HT Box:

The easy way, assuming your are coming from a multi-channel source connected directly to the HT box, is to simply switch the preamp selector switch to the appropriate input position (Tape 1 or Tape 2).  Use the precision volume control on the preamp to match level with the HT Box (count the click stops for future repeatability).  Then the HT remote volume will govern everything.

If you are using a 2 channel source on the preamp you are sending to the HT unit for multi-channel processing and playing thru all the speakers, then select that source with the preamp, and push in the Tape/Input button and select either Tape 1 or Tape 2 with the additional pushbutton, again, depending where the HT box is connected to the preamp.

In all events the main left and right speakers will be driven by the main 2 channel preamp and power amp for best possible results.  Of course you will be connecting the main left and right audio outs on the HT box to the appropriate Tape 1 or Tape 2 inputs on the preamp and connecting the appropratie Tape output jacks on the preamp to a spare line level set of inputs on the HT box to complete the circuits.

Confused?  Call me at 651-330-9871.

Frank Van Alstine

tonyptony

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2006, 07:25 pm »
Confused? Call me at 651-330-9871.

Nope, I got it. The key in your explanation was the fact that the AVA preamp has a stepped volume control. That's the ticket. My current preamp does not, and neither does it have a HT bypass, so I am being constantly frustrated by finding just the right spot on the volume control. I even have the front panel of my preamp marked for that spot, but of course it's never quite perfect.

avahifi

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2006, 01:46 pm »
Note that all standard AVA preamps do have stepped volume controls.

However those with the remote control option do not.  The precision ALPS motor driven control in the remote units does not have steps.

Frank Van Alstine