Buy a T5 or T6?

crazychile

Buy a T5 or T6?
« on: 4 Jan 2006, 01:32 pm »
I am looking to buy a tube preamp within the next 2-3 months to replace some old gear I have. I will sell almost all of my old gear to make this possible so I will be without an amp for a couple months. So I'll be listening to my Grado SR-80 headphones during this time instead of my Magneplanars.

I am trying to decide between the T5 or T6 preamp. I like a very warm, euphonic sound when possible but I also want it to make real music, not maple syrup.  I will likely be pairing the preamp with a pro sound amp (to make budget) which are normally just the opposite. Should I buy a T5 or T6 preamp?

Note: To keep it within budget, I will probably purchase the preamp in kit form. Do you know if when I send it in for a check up if the tape buffers can be added at that time? I occasionally use cassette, and I use MD frequently for editing live concert recordings. So the dual tape inputs on the pre has been a big selling point for me. Also how much of a sacrifice in sound will there be if I dont opt for the tape buffer?

Thanks!

skrivis

Re: Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2006, 06:52 pm »
Quote from: crazychile
I am looking to buy a tube preamp within the next 2-3 months to replace some old gear I have. I will sell almost all of my old gear to make this possible so I will be without an amp for a couple months. So I'll be listening to my Grado SR-80 headphones during this time instead of my Magneplanars.

I am trying to decide between the T5 or T6 preamp. I like a very warm, euphonic sound when possible but I also want it to make real music, not maple syrup.  I will likely be pairing the preamp with a pro sound a ...

The T5 and T6 are no longer in production.

See: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=20669
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=20096   for some more info. (Some other threads contain info on this too.)

The T8 might be what you want, but I don't think AVA tube products create "warm, euphonic sound." I bet you'll like the way AVA gear sounds, but it's quite neutral and doesn't color the sound... it just sounds like what goes in is what comes out. :)

skrivis

crazychile

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2006, 09:12 pm »
Thanks. I guess the AVA website is grossly outdated. Man, I hate when companies don't maintain their websites. Why have one?

Dan Kolton

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2006, 09:56 pm »
Thanks. I guess the AVA website is grossly outdated. Man, I hate when companies don't maintain their websites. Why have one?

Frank has been out of commission for some time until recently.  It's kind of hard to keep up your website when you are in pain and can't walk.  Give the guy a break!

Zheeeem

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2006, 10:40 pm »

You may think this is a bad thing.  But you should notice that the price list is also almost a year old as well.  I'm always happy to have an outdated website if it means outdated prices!

crazychile

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2006, 10:52 pm »
Sorry if I came off harsh. I didn't know that Frank was sick and was a one-man show. I thought there were support people that took care of the mundane day to day stuff like website maintenance. So no product has shipped during this time either?

I guess I'm just dissapointed. I thought I finally found a product that would fit the requirements AND the budget and now I'm back to square one. The T8 is a little too much for me right now.

skrivis

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2006, 10:56 pm »
Sorry if I came off harsh. I didn't know that Frank was sick and was a one-man show. I thought there were support people that took care of the mundane day to day stuff like website maintenance. So no product has shipped during this time either?

I guess I'm just dissapointed. I thought I finally found a product that would fit the requirements AND the budget and now I'm back to square one. The T8 is a little too much for me right now.

The OmegaStar SL preamp is really very nice, and the kit is easy to put together. It's what I have and I'm completely pleased with it. It's good stuff! :)

avahifi

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2006, 11:26 pm »
I will try and clarify things.

First I was out of commission for almost two months this fall and this has put me far behind in my "to do" list, including the web site and price list.  I do have the new price list done, and can send anyone a .pdf file of it if requested.

The Transcendence Eight shown on e-bay as shown above, is one of the last ones built in the small SL chassis.  Although this is a really nice preamp as shown, the final version of the Transcendence Eight is much nicer yet.

The new Transcendence Eight is in our "big" chassis (17" x 3.5" x 12") with a new faceplate (black with gold text and graphics), more front panel functions. and most important, a new "mother board" containing all of the circuits, including eight separate high voltage high speed analog active regulators, one for each half of each tube.  The new mother board is a full ground plane, with very low ground and supply impedances, for super quiet operation.  Musically we feel it is about as good as a pure vacuum tube preamplifier is going to get.

The price is $1099.  Phono is a $299 option, the buffered tape circuit is a $149 option, and remote control is a $299 option.  Shipping is $28 to anywhere in the continental USA.

It is not available as a kit as we feel the mother board is too complex a build project for an amateur (about 350 electronic pieces to install, over 750 solder connections).

I designed this new mother board "between leg operations"  (the first leg came out easy, the other leg was a near disastor) and the board was perfect the first time.

The Transcendence Eight is available now.  It uses the new big SL chassis. A drawing of the faceplate is here on Audio Circle.

Thanks for your interest.

Frank Van Alstine

Charles Calkins

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2006, 11:27 pm »
Crazychili:
 You may think that the preamps Frank makes are a little out of your budget but once you get one and sit down to enjoy the music you'll find Franks products are a steal considering what he charges for them. I have the latest version of the T7ECR preamp and I'm one very happy camper. He will be getting more business from me in the future. The price for the T7ECR listed on his web site is what it cost me. My only upgrade was the remote control. Also same price on the web site as it cost me.

Cheers
                         Charlie

crazychile

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2006, 01:34 pm »
Thanks for the info everyone.

Frank, I pray you have a speedy reecovery.

I have no doubt that the T8 is worth the $1100. I have looked at a lot of stuff under $1500 and there doesnt seem to be anything else that offers that much value for the money. Having kids and a tight budget, I was hoping to get off cheaper, but will have to save a little longer to spring for the T8. I gotta have tubes. I've spent to long in the sandbox and its time to go back to valves.

I like the idea that the chassis size has gone up to 17 in. Good move.

skrivis

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2006, 02:54 pm »
Quote from: avahifi
It is not available as a kit as we feel the mother board is too complex a build project for an amateur (about 350 electronic pieces to install, over 750 solder connections).

Circuit boards are the easy part. It's point-to-point wiring that's a pain. :)

skrivis

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2006, 03:13 pm »
Thanks for the info everyone.

Frank, I pray you have a speedy reecovery.

I have no doubt that the T8 is worth the $1100. I have looked at a lot of stuff under $1500 and there doesnt seem to be anything else that offers that much value for the money. Having kids and a tight budget, I was hoping to get off cheaper, but will have to save a little longer to spring for the T8. I gotta have tubes. I've spent to long in the sandbox and its time to go back to valves.

You might want to keep in touch with Frank. He sometimes has used equipment, and maybe some older preamps will come in from people wanting to upgrade to a T8. Van Alstine products show up on Ebay and Audiogon from time to time too.

(I just noticed Van Alstine Model One preamp on Ebay that looks really intriguing. I know it's quite outdated, but I like the way it looks.) :)

avahifi

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2006, 03:24 pm »
The problem with the Model One is that the active circuits are in potted modules and not servicable at all.  A circuit failure means throw the preamp away.  Watch out for excessive DC at the output on these units as that became a problem as they aged.

Frank Van Alstine

skrivis

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2006, 03:42 pm »
Quote from: avahifi
The problem with the Model One is that the active circuits are in potted modules and not servicable at all.  A circuit failure means throw the preamp away.  Watch out for excessive DC at the output on these units as that became a problem as they aged.

Frank Van Alstine

They want way too much money for it anyway. It isn't something I'd buy to listen to; I just think it looks cool. :)

Zheeeem

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2006, 04:31 pm »
Quote from: skrivis
(I just noticed Van Alstine Model One preamp on Ebay that looks really intriguing. I know it's quite outdated, but I like the way it looks.) :)

IIRC, not all Van Alstine Model One preamps are Frank's products.  You should check with him before buying one.

skrivis

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #16 on: 5 Jan 2006, 04:58 pm »
Quote from: Zheeeem
Quote from: skrivis

IIRC, not all Van Alstine Model One preamps are Frank's products.  You should check with him before buying one.

I already have an old SuperPAS and a T2 in a PAT5 chassis, along with the OmegaStar SL that I use as my main preamp. So I'm not really considering buying it, or at least not for $550-750. :)

I just think it's cool looking with the plexiglass top and very clean-looking interior. The front panel kind of reminds me of old DBX gear.

These predate Audio Basics, so I don't know anything about the circuits or design. Does anyone know of a place on the net that has more details? (I won't ask Frank to waste his time writing about obsolete gear.)

ger56

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #17 on: 9 Jan 2006, 06:17 pm »
crazychile

What preamp  did  you buy then ?

Regards

Ger56

crazychile

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #18 on: 9 Jan 2006, 08:01 pm »
Quote from: ger56
crazychile

What preamp  did  you buy then ?

Regards

Ger56

I havent bought anything yet. I need to save up and sell off some old gear. I'll probably end up with a T8 in 2 or 3 mos.

boead

Buy a T5 or T6?
« Reply #19 on: 9 Jan 2006, 08:31 pm »
I recently compared my T7 SLR to a BAT VK3i  ( http://www.balanced.com/products/line/Vk-3i/index.html )
With a Rogue Audio Stereo 90 amp ( http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_90.htm )
And a pair of Alon Model 1’s (1990’s) which are semi-open baffle.

Although the T7 didn’t quite have the bass and weight of the BAT it certainly has a very large sound stage and is extraordinary transparent. I think it out imaged the BAT and for my tastes it was better suited. However, with some tube rolling in the BAT, the owner was able to get most of the ‘best of both worlds.’ Also the output was much higher then with the BAT at the same position on the volume pot. Unfortunately, past 9 o’clock was just plain LOUD and his amp is set to triode making about 45wpc.  The stepped attenuator made adjusting the volume difficult. On my low powered SET its great, an advantage actually.

The BAT is closer to $2500 and doesn’t have a phono or headphone section.

I got my T7 used on Audiogon for about $900 and found a great sounding tube (Sylvania 3-mica gray plate) after rolling through many. Now that the T8 is out, I assume you can find a T7 for a little less but Franks stuff seems to holds its value.