Cool cover Art

Joules

Cool cover Art
« on: 4 Jan 2006, 12:38 pm »
I was fliping thru some old LP's the other day and got to thinking that some of these album covers have some realy cool artwork on them! I thought why hide them away in a bin somewhere. Why not put them on diplay to look at and admire and inspire.
My Avitar is one of my all time fav album covers from King Crimson's In the court of the Crimson King.
Anybody Know of others that they really like?

chadh

Cool cover Art
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2006, 08:03 pm »
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/dire_straits/alchemy_live/">http://rateyourmusic.com/album_images/s11319.jpg" alt="Dire Straits - Alchemy Live">

nathanm

Cool cover Art
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2006, 10:49 pm »
Yikes, there's too many to list!  They actually used real illustrators in the olden times... *sigh*  I do see some good ones these days now and again.  Personally I find Shakira's "Oral Fixation Vol.2" to be rather uh, compelling artisically.  Good thing you don't have to listen to it to look at it.  The Diana Krall Christmas album really caught my eye recently. Nice composition and color.

Props must be given to Pink Floyd for the Animals cover.  Even back in those pre-computer days then they could've stripped a pig in there which by today's standards seems extremely laborious.  But no, they had to do it for real.  Very cool.

Joules

Marbles

Cool cover Art
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2006, 01:55 am »
Nathan, you got me interested, so I thought I would save the rest of you guys the trouble:

Marbles

Cool cover Art
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2006, 02:18 am »
I always liked The James Gang - Bang cover and Sammy Hagar's Jump On It..

Scott F.

Cool cover Art
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2006, 02:28 am »
I always Like Roger Deans artwork. He did cover art for Yes, Uriah Heep (Magicians Birthday) and Asia.

http://rogerdean.com/

There are so many great covers out there, it's really hard to pick an absolute favorite.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Cool cover Art
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2006, 03:10 am »
I always liked the Iron Maiden covers from the 80's:

George

Tabascosauce

Cool cover Art
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2006, 04:24 am »
Quote from: nathanm

Props must be given to Pink Floyd for the Animals cover.  Even back in those pre-computer days then they could've st ...

Some years back I read a book by one of the guys from Hipgnosis, who did the Floyd's album covers back then.

Yes, the pig was launched above Battersea power station and photographed (and it escaped, causing flights to be diverted, but that is another story).

However, the band ended up agreeing that earlier photos taken without the pig had a much more dramatic sky and clouds.

So the album cover is a cut and paste job, with the pig from one shoot, and the sky from another day.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Cool cover Art
« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2006, 05:42 am »
How about a little "new wave"....The Cars...Candy-O... 8)
    [/list:u]
      Now....that's art.... :wink: [/list:u]

Gordy

Cool cover Art
    « Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2006, 06:08 am »
    Roxy Music always did it for me...

timind

• permanent vacation
    Cool cover Art
    « Reply #11 on: 8 Jan 2006, 01:42 am »
    I was going thru my vinyl last week as I'm (gulp) considering letting it go. Anyway I was thinking of the albums I bought simply for the cover with little or no knowledge of the music within. King Crimson, "In the Court of the Crimson King" was the first I did this with. Others include Al Kooper, "You Never Know Who Your Friends Are" and One of my favorites (cover not music) Electric Light Orchestra "Eldarado." Great memories.

Joules

Cool cover Art
    « Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2006, 01:54 am »
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

nathanm

Cool cover Art
    « Reply #13 on: 8 Jan 2006, 03:20 am »
    Some of my favorites:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
    Cool cover Art
    « Reply #14 on: 8 Jan 2006, 03:41 am »
    Here's a cover thats worth a lot more than the lp inside it.....The Beatles...
      [/list:u]
        "Yesterday And Today".... :mrgreen: [/list:u]

Gordy

Cool cover Art
      « Reply #15 on: 8 Jan 2006, 04:14 am »
      I was wondering how long it'd take for Geiger to show up!  I saw a gallery show of his in NY back in the late 70's, about when he and Cobb did the first Alien movie.  It was...  intense seeing his work on 8 and 10' canvases.

When The Small Face's second album, Ogden's, first came out it was a round album cover, an eight sided fold up affair, very cool for '68!  It was also one of the very first concept albums, the first side being a 5 or 6 song fantasy/fairy tale...

jqp

• Volunteer
      • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
      Cool cover Art
      « Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2006, 04:00 am »

by Christine McVie before she married John McVie

Neon Park did lots of album art - e.g. many Little Feat albums