Good way to hold 6-8 remotes in reach of my recliner?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Looking for some kind of compartmentalized, felt-lined, box on a stand, or something similar, to hold all my remotes.

Nothing that flops over the arm rest, please!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2006, 04:25 am »
Why not just get a good universal to combine them?

George

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2006, 04:28 am »
Ok, looking for some kind of compartmentalized, felt-lined, box on a stand, or something similar, to hold my universal remote

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2006, 04:29 am »
Easy...its called a Pronto.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2006, 07:10 am »
In the immortal words of Marbles..."that's easy":

Line your widest belt with Velcro hooks, the backs of the remotes with Velcro loops.  Done! :roll:

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2006, 08:42 am »
While I love my Pronto, programming one is anything but easy.  It's incredibly time consuming.  I rue having to program my Pronto for my SB2 and likely will not, as it'll take me an entire weekend for that one device.  On the other hand, I just hit "watch TV" or "quit" and everything is done for me.

TomS

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2006, 01:49 pm »
I bought the Pronto TSU7500 and am in the middle of programming my Arcam AVP700 and DV79, Motorola Comcast cable box, JVC 1080p RPTV, and a Squeezebox 3.  I bought a programming guide from Dave at www.prontowizard.com that was a great help and has already saved me a lot of learning time.  These devices are great - my wife and my kids especially love it.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2006, 01:57 pm »
Type "remote caddy" into Amazon and it will return a bunch of them.

If that's not sufficient type "remote caddy" into Google and you'll get a bunch more.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2006, 06:26 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
While I love my Pronto, programming one is anything but easy.  It's incredibly time consuming.  I rue having to program my Pronto for my SB2 and likely will not, as it'll take me an entire weekend for that one device.  On the other hand, I just hit "watch TV" or "quit" and everything is done for me.

Bob,
ProntoEdit is a huge time-saver.  And use RemoteCentral for some reusable code; hundreds of device ccf's already there.  But, like anything else, it all depends on your experience level.  Me, I can replace or add a new device to my complex macro-loaded HT setup in less than 15 minutes, shorter if I borrow the codes from RemoteCentral.  But ask me to hunt down a ground loop hum....weeks.

byteme

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2006, 07:11 pm »
Quote from: ted_b
Bob,
ProntoEdit is a huge time-saver.  And use RemoteCentral for some reusable code; hundreds of device ccf's already there.  But, like anything else, it all depends on your experience level.  Me, I can replace or add a new device to my complex macro-loaded HT setup in less than 15 minutes, shorter if I borrow the codes from RemoteCentral.  But ask me to hunt down a ground loop hum....weeks.

I haven't used ProntoEdit at all but I have used RemoteCentral extensively for my TSU3000 and those I've programmed for others.

I use a paradigm similar to one I downloaded and learned on at RC.  It has a "devices" section so when I get something new or swap out one DVD player for another, for example, I just take the new remote and teach the pronto the new IR codes.  The main sections simply link to the learned codes and never really change unless I add an entirely new activity (i.e. DVR).  At first I was disenchanted with the Pronto and found it very difficult to deal with, but with a couple sample CCF's from RC I got the paradigm and was off and running.

I'm a huge fan because once you understand the programming the USE of the remote can be made very intuitive and user friendly.  So much so that my parents and wife never call me anymore and ask "how do I watch a DVD again?".

The big PITA is that I've got all my TV channels programmed for DISH and most people I've programmed for have Charter or some other service so all the channels are different, but even then, that only takes an hour or so to change the 7 pages of TV channels.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2006, 07:44 pm »
Couldn't have said it better myself.  The Pronto paradigm is an "ah ha"; until then it seems quite cumbersome.  The real trick, as you stated nicely, is separating the GUI from the actual device codes, allowing easier back-end changes.  My device codes all sit in macro groups and are never presented to the user, just the buttons that refer to them.  A little more overhead, but so much more flexible,

Sorry for the hijack.....now back to your regularly scheduled thread topic.

Velcro works wonders.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2006, 12:42 am »
Getting warmer

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p33182586-k24-g4-~remote+holder-nover?sourceid=3

I like the fact that it can hold manuals for all the components - only need them once a quarter, but then they must be found...

[/url]

rosconey

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2006, 02:33 am »
i got just what your looking for at chinamart before christmas-

its a wooden 3 tier holder for 6-8 remotes,its got a base on a swivel -cost 6 bucks i think-i love mine