Bruce Springsteen - Devils and Dust

Folsom

« on: 3 Jan 2006, 02:21 am »
Bruce Springsteen - Devils and Dust. I bought this today and found out it does not meet normal CD qualification codes. I believe this is because it was recorded on a DVD disc, as the other side is a DVD with videos of the tracks and live performances. I think that helps aid the sound quality in it some, a better resolution for more dynamic sound. Also they gave a lot of credit to producers and mixing engineers etc.... I think this album has a lot of work into it. A lot of the songs on it are certainly a softer side of rock.

The acoustical aspect is impressive and raw, I love it. When I say raw I mean it sounds like he is sitting in front of me; the guitar sounds like some one just jamming away sitting in front of you (happens a lot at college). You can hear him breathing fairly well, they really captured his voice. I have to say I much prefer his voice like this as opposed to the stuff like Born In The USA where it is very loud and done until it sounds smooth like some poor whisky. For that reason I prefer his live stuff opposed to studio, until this album.

The song Reno is not for little kids! No cursing but the content is very adult. I however think this will remain one of the unrecognized great songs of the entire album. If you pay attention it is actually a sad song about what he did when he was with out some one he loved.

The entire CD has a bit of a sad remembrance theme to it. Also there a little bit of Christian content in some of the lyrics and a song.

Overall this is one of my new favorite CDs I have.

I think any one should pick it up.

Folsom

« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2006, 08:31 pm »
I just watched the DVD half. I have to say I really like what Bruce had to say, he really is a musical artist.

mojoman

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2006, 10:24 pm »
Got this for christmas but haven't listened to it yet.  I've heard it a few time on Rhapsody.

I saw the solo tour last summer and it was excellent.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2006, 11:09 pm »
The solo tour kicked booty.   That's the sign of a true musician -- if you can pull off an entire concert (or heck one song) with you alone making the music.

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2006, 02:23 am »
If you guys like live, acoustic, solo stuff like me! Woo. I also suggest checking out.

Jackson Browne - Solo Acoustic Vol. 1

mojoman

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2006, 12:30 pm »
Quote from: Destroyer of Smiles.
If you guys like live, acoustic, solo stuff like me! Woo. I also suggest checking out.

Jackson Browne - Solo Acoustic Vol. 1

Yeah, I got that one too.  It's one of my favorite cds of 2005.

You should try Warren Haynes - Live at Bonnaroo if you haven't already.  Recorded at the 2004 festival.  It was one of my favorites from 2004.

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2006, 12:40 pm »
That's good!  I purchased the Jackson Browne CD but haven't had much time to listed to it.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2006, 12:44 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
The solo tour kicked booty.   That's the sign of a true musician -- if you can pull off an entire concert (or heck one song) with you alone making the music.

He has done the solo tour multiple times (I saw him when he did after the release of The Ghost of Tom Joad) and yes he was/is awesome.  :notworthy:

George

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2006, 02:35 pm »
Honestly, had my fiancee not had tickets presented to her, I never would have gone to see Springsteen.  I certainly wouldn't have purchased the tickets myself.  When I was younger, I hated anything pop.  Pop was bad.  I abhored "Born in the USA" (and still don't think I can listen to this).  I was so into heavy metal that I thought Guns and Roses was too pop.  It is only as I've gotten older that I've gotten into SRV and from there to other genres.  Now, I'm actually beginning to like Springsteen.  I still don't like most pop, though.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2006, 11:59 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
Honestly, had my fiancee not had tickets presented to her, I never would have gone to see Springsteen.  I certainly wouldn't have purchased the tickets myself.  When I was younger, I hated anything pop.  Pop was bad.  I abhored "Born in the USA" (and still don't think I can listen to this).  I was so into heavy metal that I thought Guns and Roses was too pop.  It is only as I've gotten older that I've gotten into SRV and from there to other genres.  Now, I'm actually beginning to like Springsteen.  I still don't like most pop, though.

You have to get past that pop sound associated with the song "Born In The USA" specifically to appreciate a few good songs that sound pop like, but where not huge chart hitters. I think a big part of the sound comes from the E Street Band, however I love Max and do not blame him.

You will NOT find Devils and Dust to be a pop album in any way.

I need some Stevie Ray Vaughan, he is a badass.

I will keep my eye out for Warren Haynes - Live at Bonnaroo for sure.

The Jackson Browne album takes awhile to listen to probably because he has introduction pieces to I think about every song and some of them go on for a long time.... Which is ok because they are some what interesting and funny.

ctviggen I would love to no end to of seen that tour. You and mojoman are so lucky!