DVD Burning

gongos

DVD Burning
« on: 3 Jan 2006, 02:00 am »
Does anyone out there have any suggestions for software to make back-up copies for a DVD collection? There's so much out there. I'm sure someone here is using a program their happy with.

Free would be best. :D  Thanks.

Rashiki

DVD Burning
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2006, 08:51 pm »
I've used DVD Shrink and it works quite well. It will recompress the movie to fit on a single layer DVD-R.

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

-Rob

jonwb

DVD Burning
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2006, 11:18 pm »
DVDShrink makes the whole process VERY easy.  Don't forget however that you need to have Nero installed.  DVDShrink uses that program to do the actual burning.

good luck!

Levi

DVD Burning
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2006, 11:40 pm »
You have PM.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
DVD Burning
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2006, 11:56 pm »
Remember that shrinking a DVD to fit is not the same as archiving your DVD to protect your investment. In some scenarios, it is analogous to backing up your CDs to MP3 - the music is there, as long as you're going to listen using your "earbuds".

Usually you could backup, say, only the english sound track with the main feature video track, and usually fit that onto one DVD without any loss of quality (bits). THis is just bare bones, but original quality. Other methods involve compresssion with a loss of quality.

Some of these programs allow you to back up your complete DVDs. Now you can even archive them on something closer to their original media - Dual Layer DVD, which is becoming available at an acceptable price at BB etc.

I just got a Plextor DVD burner for the PC (PX-740A). It handles all current DVD formats, comes with Nero, and comes with 20 free disks for about $100. Very high quality company. Something like this is going to be necessary to really get control of your DVD collection.

If you want to really get into it and do it with free software, start with Doom9.org, and when you burn out, you will at least know more about it. Someone should have a site on how to do this stuff in a straigforward way, and thoroughly, but it is a lot of work and a changing landscape.

Anyone have any good step-by-step guides? I will eventually post what I come up with. (I am more concerned with burning my DV tapes and VHS tapes to DVD right now)

gongos

DVD Burning
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2006, 12:02 am »
My Plextor drive us caching and burning really slow. Any ideas how to speed it up?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
DVD Burning
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2006, 12:04 am »
Hmm - maybe your selected hard drive is too fragmented or does not have enough space. I assume you are using Nero - not an expert on it, but there are settings that can be adjusted for caching, etc.

Levi

DVD Burning
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2006, 12:15 am »
Quote from: gongos
My Plextor drive us caching and burning really slow. Any ideas how to speed it up?

Several questions?

How fast is the PC?
Which Plextor drive do you have?  
Did you check for firmware updates?  
What about the type of media you are using?  
Is it actually burning or is it Analysing?

4 things that would affect your burning performance:

HDD speed.
Media being used.
CPU speed.
Firmware updates.