Louis...A Question...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Louis...A Question...
« on: 1 Jan 2006, 05:26 pm »
Louis,
    I've been enjoying the A8's for a few days now...nice job !! :) [/list:u]
      My question...stand height. I started with 12" stands...seems that was how I've seen them displayed (slight up tilt). But after listening, thought they were too low. :? [/list:u]
        I've moved them to 20" stands...the sound is much better. :D [/list:u]
          I do have a small room....12x12...so I was wondering why 12" stands are recommended ? Thanks and have a great 2006 !![/list:u]
            Chris[/list:u]
              Late addition...Louis, How much power can these speakers handle ? I have from 8 watts to 800 watts.... :rock: ...I don't wish to blow them up.... :? [/list:u]

Gordy

Louis...A Question...
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2006, 08:40 pm »
The average person is 5' 9" tall, your 6' 5"... hence the 8" taller stands  :D

lonewolfny42

Louis...A Question...
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2006, 08:46 pm »
Quote from: Gordy
The average person is 5' 9" tall, your 6' 5"... hence the 8" taller stands  :D
I may seem like 6' 5"....but I'm 6' even when I'm standing....3' 2" when I'm sitting and listening .... :lol:

NealH

Louis...A Question...
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2006, 09:07 pm »
"Lonewolfny", can you give us a couple comments on the sound character?  For instance, I would be interested in knowing if you find beaming an issue and, if the speaker provides balanced full range sound - meaning good bass response within it's capabilities - at low listening levels.   Does the speaker project good palpable immediacy?

lonewolfny42

Louis...A Question...
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2006, 09:19 pm »
Quote from: rnhood
"Lonewolfny", can you give us a couple comments on the sound character?  For instance, I would be interested in knowing if you find beaming an issue and, if the speaker provides balanced full range sound - meaning good bass response within it's capabilities - at low listening levels.   Does the speaker project good palpable immediacy?
Sure...I find it to be a well balanced speaker sound wise...the bass is fine...but not over powering. As it is now I'm using a Phillips CD-80 cdp into a Sophia Baby tube amp....simple setup. I have not had much time to try the other amps and preamps with it....but I will.
    Reason I bought the A8 was I liked the way it sounded playing Jazz and small classical type music. It is very well suited to this type of music...and thats fine with me. :D [/list:u]
      Chris[/list:u]late edit....Beaming...I don't find that...but I'm in a small 12x12 room...the speakers are only about 7' away...close. It's a good soundstage...not as wide as other speakers that I own. But the sound is true to the music its playing. :D

TheChairGuy

Louis...A Question...
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2006, 10:52 pm »
WolfyChris,

Isn't that cabinetry knockdown gorgeous, too?  I usually don't gush over that kinda' stuff - but it really is fetching both in color, grain look and gloss appearance.  I loved the shaved/rolled off sides too...it broke up the potential monotony of six sides of that finish.

I want Louis to make my casket. I may not be the best dressed live person, but I'll have Calvin Klein style on the last viewing :wink:

He can even do a eulogy for me, in Greek (he's a fellow Greek), better than I could alive   :)

TheChairGuy

Louis...A Question...
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2006, 10:53 pm »
Oh, and I had 18" stands; and they sounded about right there - they were also about 7' from me in my 12 x 15' room.

I'm 5'9" and my ears are only 2' 11" off the ground sitting  :wink:

lonewolfny42

Louis...A Question...
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2006, 11:00 pm »
Isn't that cabinetry knockdown gorgeous, too?
    Yep....it's excellent.... :wink:  :beer:  :wink:  :hyper:  :inlove: [/list:u]
      If you get the casket....don't forget the gold emblem.... :lol: [/list:u]

polishpowerlifter

Hi chris
« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2006, 01:04 am »
You finally got the (my) A8s?? I think they should get the 'most distance travelled' award ie.Ontario to California to New York...did they arrive in good shape??I feel they are really suited for jazz,what ya think...?Mark

lonewolfny42

Re: Hi chris
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2006, 01:14 am »
Quote from: polishpowerlifter
You finally got the (my) A8s?? I think they should get the 'most distance travelled' award ie.Ontario to California to New York...did they arrive in good shape??I feel they are really suited for jazz,what ya think...?Mark
I like well traveled equipement....breaks in easier.... :lol:
    They arrived in fine shape...thank you guys :) ....Perfect fit for my room...happy you sold them to me. 8) [/list:u]Been playing cd's all day....jazz. Excellent !!!
      Over time I'll try a few different setup's...still missing a few piece's...there out on loan.[/list:u]
        Thanks again Mark !!! :wink: [/list:u]

TheChairGuy

Re: Hi chris
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2006, 03:41 pm »
Quote from: polishpowerlifter

Heck, they were so gorgeous I was paranoid for the few weeks they were here that I'd scratch them even microscopically.  Really, the finish on those A8's is beyond excellent  :thumb:

tianguis

Louis...A Question...
« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2006, 05:19 pm »
Chris:
       Since Louis hasn't weighed in yet, I'll give your original question a shot.
(Lou, please smack me down if you disagree).
       I've messed about with a number of monitors at various heights and angles. The angle thing is the easiest to set up, as you want the speaks "on axis" at your listening position for fullest FR and imaging. My GMA Callistos (on 24" stands" have adjustable bases and the angle is critical.
       Height is another thing, as it varies with room size, room layout, room treatment. However, lower almost always results in better room reinforcement of the lowest bass the monitor is capable of. In effect, the floor becomes part of the speaker baffle. As an experiment, with the taller stand, place a piece of cardboard vertically between the bottom of the speaker cabinet and the floor (a "beard"). Tell us what you hear.  :roll:

Larry

lonewolfny42

Louis...A Question...
« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2006, 06:23 pm »
Thanks Larry for your reply. :wink:
    I'm going to give "the beard" setup a try....I'd forgotten about that... :oops: [/list:u]
      This room is very "dead"...so I can hear changes pretty easy. :) [/list:u]
        I'll report back what I hear....thanks !!![/list:u]

Louis O

Louis...A Question...
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2006, 12:04 am »
Hi Chris,

Sorry about the late reply and the height has so much to do with the driver being aimed right at you. I had the low stands at RMAF and in the beginning I wasn't getting the right sound out of them. The sound transformed when I adjusted them to the right angle. If they aren't pointed right at you, you'll lose a lot of midrange info. It was an amazing difference. The 20" stands I like a lot too and they will give the right height as well as more speed and transparency. The lower height adds room gain and more weight. The angle of the cabinet is very important this way.

Hi TheChairGuy,

Many thanks for your compliments regarding the cabinet. What I really need to do is get much better at taking pictures of them. I'm completely useless with the camera.

Many thanks for all the great posts and Hope everyone had a fantastic New Year.

I'm off to the show and I will keep in contact with Vinnie and let him know about how it's going so he can post.

Thanks again,
Louis

lonewolfny42

Louis...A Question...
« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2006, 04:06 am »
Thanks Louis !!! Have a good time at the show !! :thumb:

Louis O

Louis...A Question...
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jan 2006, 01:26 am »
Hi Chris,

Many thanks and I'm finally back. It takes a while to get back in the swing of things.

The show was great and the room sounded wonderful. I had the Superhemp and the XRS in Zebrawood. It's a great finish. Excellent response regarding the speakers and I was really happy how the XRS sounded. The room was pretty busy too and next up is Montreal.

Thanks again,
Louis