Zu Druids & Low Powered S.E.T.

srayle

« on: 31 Dec 2005, 07:49 pm »
I currently have 2a3 monoblocks driving my Druids, but was interested in exploring low powered SET, as in a 45 amp. Any body using theirs with a 45? I know the Druids are sensitive, but are they efficient?

bmed

« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2005, 08:39 pm »
By nature of their sensitivity, they are high efficiency.  As the 45 is my favorite, I think you should give 45's a try.  Although I don't have druids, I do use 45's (~2.5W) with my 96dB sens speakers in a small room (13' x 11') with amazing results.  I have 2a3 as well, both great, just a little different flavors.  Have fun experimenting!

Cheers,
Brad

-Richard-

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2005, 11:55 pm »
Hi bmed,

I am forever curious about what actual products everyone is using...

Can you please be so kind as to give us the actual names and other identifying
information of your 45 and 2A3 tube SET amps...

Like srayle, I am pursuing my own investigation into SET tube amp solutions
and it is valuable to be informed what our AC friends are actually using and
perhaps how they came to choose these products over others...

Warm Regards -Richard-

bmed

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2006, 01:38 pm »
Hi Richard,

I'm currently using Gordon Rankin's Gemini parafeed 45/2A3 convertible monos with upgraded cobalt transformers.  Power output is ~2.5w/5w respectively.  I also owned some Welborne DRD300b's which I ultimately sold last year ('05!!), not out of discontent, but cash for other parts of my system.  Both very good, but the Wavelength just won out due to its smooth, smooth presentation, with inner detail recovery that is amazing.  These amps are very quick.  They really jump on the transient changes and shifts in music.  Good, true bass response.  I say true, because it's not overly emphasized, just as you really hear it, especially with acoustic intruments.  No real weaknesses in my setup, a real "all 'rounder".   These aren't your grandfather's SETs.  I must admit that I use a powered sub for <60Hz which frees up the amps to shine where they perform best.  Now, unfortunately, I purchased the Gemini's with the cobalt, so I can't compare with the standard iron.   I have found my 45/2A3 standard.  I'm not saying I won't have other amps.  I like variety.  In fact, I'm looking at some PP triode amps to add to the stable  :wink:

Cheers,
Brad