Preamplifier questions

Yoda

Preamplifier questions
« on: 29 Dec 2005, 07:47 pm »
Pre-amplifier topology:

What are the various advantages and compromises of of a transformer coupled single tube based pre-amp vs a DC coupled SRPP preamp?

Would the Clarinet be a good candidate to drive a tube amp with it's input impedance of 100k that requires 2v to reach it's full potential (ie Decware CS)?

Is it possible to lower the output impedance and what effect might this have?

Can the 2nd output become a fixed level output (ie for recording) with some modification?  Would this have to be 'buffered'?

I've heard the Clarinet in my system and generally liked what I heard, but I was constantly fiddling with the volume on it and the adjustable level on my amp to avoid clipping.

Thanks-

Matt.

analog97

Preamplifier questions
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2005, 03:15 am »
I would also like to know what the output voltage of the stock Clarinet is.  I read in a recent Stereophile that it would be good to have at least 6 volts.  Thanks.

hagtech

Preamplifier questions
« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2005, 11:41 pm »
What are the various advantages and compromises of of a transformer coupled single tube based pre-amp vs a DC coupled SRPP preamp?

Hmmm, not sure how you can do a dc coupled SRPP, unless you add feedback stabilization.  I wanted to avoid opamps in the CLARINET, so it uses an output capacitor.  Pretty standard.  An output transformer is a great solution in many ways - it can lower output impedance, add or remove gain, eliminates dc offset, isolates grounds, etc.  It's a good way to go, but relatively expensive to get a quality transformer.  

The SRPP is a really neat circuit.  The upper triode loads the lower (gain) triode with something close to a constant current source, which we know is a low distortion trick.  It also offers lower output impedance.  

Would the Clarinet be a good candidate to drive a tube amp with it's input impedance of 100k that requires 2v to reach it's full potential (ie Decware CS)?

The CLARINET can easily drive any power amp load.  Even a PASS LABS type machine.  I recommend 10k ohm loading and up.

Is it possible to lower the output impedance and what effect might this have?

Only by changing tubes.  And a lot of associated component values.  Something like a 5687 or 6H30 can give you lower output impedance.

Can the 2nd output become a fixed level output (ie for recording) with some modification?

All I can think of is to do a direct connection to the input select switch.  This is only way to bypass attenuator.

I would also like to know what the output voltage of the stock Clarinet is

That all depends on the input signal.  Maximum gain is 15dB.  The CLARINET can probably output 20Vrms.  It starts to distort a bit at the higher levels.  Practically though, what amplifier requires more than 2Vrms to clip?  Can you think of any?  In truth, having high output voltage capability is nice, but useless.  

jh :)