Wireless Squeezebox issues - More problems

pugs

« on: 29 Dec 2005, 09:13 am »
I tried to get my wireless SB3 working tonight, but could never get the network connected.  The SB3 The router and SB3 don't seem to be communicating.  The SB3 shows "Problem, can't connect to wireless network"

So far, not so good.  I feel beat up trying to get this thing to work.

I don't know much about computers and would really appreciate if someone could steer me in the right direction.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2005, 01:02 pm »
Hey, don't feel bad.

I spent a day learning about setting up networking before I got the thing up and working.  Like anything else you will think nothing of it once you get things set up, but I know the feeling of "what the &%$@" when you are trying to figure it out.  Squeeze Box and Slimserver are really fairly staight forward, but you have to have your home wireless network set up properly.  Get your friendly wireless router instructions, a large mug of coffee and walk through the set up to configure your network.  Once you get that done and comfirmed it with a ping test, just type in the name of network and specify which disk for SB3 to use and you are on your way.  I am no "computer guy" but I got it figured out eventually.

jermmd

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2005, 01:41 pm »
I just plugged my Squeezebox in and it set itself up. I only had to identify which computer in my home had the music on it. I'm not sure why it's easy for some and impossible for others. Computers can be very fickle and incomprehensible.

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2005, 02:13 pm »
Pugs, I set my SB2 once with my wireless network, to a Apple Mini....then, all of the sudden, it stopped working and gave me the same error message you had.  

I called Slimdevices and they walked me through it....it was a Firewall issue...they gave me some settings and it worked right away.  You will need to check some sharing and firewall settings that might have been changed unknowingly....and this might be more the case if you have a XP based system.  Now that I use Apple OSX, I know what the updates that come up affect which programs, but the frequent updates that Microsoft releases have the tendency of making a once stable PC, into something unusable or make other things not work, such as the Squeezebox.  

If you cannot figure it out, call Slimdevices, they are good at trouble shooting.

Question for all SB owners, why doesn't the Squeezeplayer recognize a Apple Lossless Encoded track?  I am wondering.

pugs

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2005, 06:43 pm »
My squeezebox is finally playing music.  As my son would say so enthusiastically "I did it!!!"

I think I had three issues:  My security features and firewall were set incorrectly, and I think the SB3 was looking for the wrong network.  I'm not really sure what I did.

It sounds great already.  I'm going to try the older firmware to see if that improves things.  I think I'll enjoy a little music before I try that though.

One thing I'm a lttle disappointed in is that the pigtail connecting the SB3 to the battery enclosure (Vinnie modded) is too short.  It's so short I can't even put the SB3 to the side of the battery.  They have to be stacked.  I might have to send it back to get a slightly longer cable.  All I need is like 3 or 4 more inches.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2005, 06:49 pm »
All I need is like 3 or 4 more inches.

Don't we all? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Papajin

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2005, 06:58 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi
Don't we all? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Speak for yourself, buddy!  :D

pugs

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2005, 08:24 pm »
I am sad to say that I have more issues.  Now my home internet connection is not working (I'm at work now).  I went to the network settings and tried to repair connection, but I got a message saying that it could not be repaired because TCP/IP is not enabled.  I went to the settings and the TCP/IP box was checked.

Could it be the router?  I wound up using the Linksys wrt54g ver.5.  Could it be something with the IP address?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2005, 08:43 pm »
If everything was working and then it doesn't, just unplug/replug/restart before you change anything.  Often, that is all you need. I do it once every week or so just to "refresh".

Tweaker

« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2005, 08:48 pm »
I would assign a static IP address to your computer, access point,and squeezebox. Very important that no two devices have the same IP address which can happen easily.   Once that is done the only other issues you should have are firewall configuration, which it sounds as though you have taken care of.