I want to learn about home theater projectors

Doublej

« on: 27 Dec 2005, 03:07 pm »
Does anyone have a good link where I can learn about home theater projectors and screens? Things like strengths and weaknesses of different technologies, how to evaluate a projector, size as it relates to viewing distance, good source material to use, etc?

ScottMayo

Re: I want to learn about home theater projectors
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2005, 03:10 pm »
Quote from: Doublej
Does anyone have a good link where I can learn about home theater projectors and screens? Things like strengths and weaknesses of different technologies, how to evaluate a projector, size as it relates to viewing distance, good source material to use, etc?

www.projectorcentral.com is a vendor, and as such you take them with the same grain of salt you take anything, but they have a lot of details on what they carry, and some useful tools.

LadyDog

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2005, 03:40 pm »
Try -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php?

There is a world of information with individual forums based on price and needs.

Regards,
Jeff

samplesj

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2005, 05:19 pm »
Like LadyDog mentioned AVS is a treasure trove of data for projection.

One other point I wanted to throw out is not to yet people tell you what size your screen has to be.  Its your room and your screen.  Go as big or as small as you want.  That is a very personal thing and I've seen on some forums others tell users they were wrong because it didn't meet THX specs or other nonsense.  (As a side note its interesting to show those people that they are just misreading the specs).

One of the biggest specs you'll see thrown around is the THX distance spec.  Its says that the farthest seat in the theater should have a 36 degree and at worst it can have 26 degree viewing angle.  Using that you can play some games to get a feel for what viewing angle you might like.  If we assume a standard theater is somewhere in the middle (31 degree) then based on were you sit you can get a feel for what your preferred viewing angle is.  Here is a quick viewing angle calculator.  Just keep in mind that the numbers it throws out for the THX spec are based on the absolute back of the room so if you like to sit toward the front then you'll probably want to sit in front of those numbers.

In our HT system we sit at 13' from a 116" 16x9 screen (133" diagonal)

samplesj

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2005, 05:32 pm »
Oh, I probably should thow out this since I'm an advocate of big screens.  Be sure you can get enough output on the screen for the chosen size.  The general rule of thumb I've seen is around 15 foot lamberts, but I'm seen some talk about as low as 10.  I think I saw in the past that some plasmas are in the 40-50 foot lambert range as a way to put this abstract number in perspective.

Foot lamberts are calculated with this equation.
(Projector lumens * Screen Gain) / (Screen Height * Screen Width)

Notice that as the screen grows it rapidly reduces the foot lamberts you are getting.  Another cause for concern is that most mfrs inflate their lumen output figures (sort of like AV reciever power ratings).  I've seen some say that you should really figure only like 60-80% of what the book says after its properly calibrated and the bulb gets some age.

A highly reflective screen will help make up for a lower output projector, but remember there is no such thing as a free lunch.  A higher gain screen gets more light inside its viewing cone, but outside that cone it will be much less (think of a magnifing glass in the sun used like a lighter)

When I was looking a little over a year ago the hot high gain screens were HighPower and the SilverStar.  I'd have loved a SilverStar, but at the time they were as much as (or more than) my projector for the size I wanted.

A lot of people are happy with DIY screens, but I'm not sure that you can really get the gain you need to go big that route.  I'd have probably gone that route, but there are two windows (totally covered of course ;-)) in the front of my room so I didn't have the flat wall space required.