Cream concert DVD

Marbles

Cream concert DVD
« on: 26 Dec 2005, 08:42 pm »
I got this DVD for Christmas.

I never was a big Cream fan.

I like Jack Bruce and Eric A LOT, and never really listened much to Ginger Baker tunes except when he was with Blind Faith (AFAIK).

Each is a great musician, and each plays great on this DVD, but FOR ME this concert DVD is a case where great ingrediants put together did not make a great meal.

I just didn't enjoy the songs except for a few that they covered...Stormy Monday and Born under a Bad Sign.

The recording is top notch, but again not my cup.

MttBsh

Cream DVD
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2005, 09:43 pm »
I've got to agree with you Marbles. Unreal picture and sound, but the attempt to recreate, or worse "update" a musical phenomenon that died more than 35 years ago falls pretty flat. There are some great moments, but overall the appeal is little more than nostalgia. It's also a sad commentary on the state of rock music today - this show sells out the Royal Albert hall for a week straight (or something like that) but no current bands seem to have that kind of musical draw.

Matt

Adz523

Cream concert DVD
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2005, 11:15 pm »
I bought the Cream DVD as well and I'd rather watch One More Car One More Rider over it anyday, hands down.

Thump553

Cream concert DVD
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2005, 04:52 pm »
I disagree-somewhat.  Personally, the Cream era was never my most favorite (to put it mildly) and I doubt I will ever play a Cream album again-I've heard them too often already in my lifetime.

That said, I really enjoyed this concert when I caught it on PBS.  The versions of the songs were excellent, and the camaderie between the three musicians was very apparent.  They really seemed to enjoy what they were doing.  Jack Bruce, especially, did surprisingly well-this did not come off as Eric Clapton carrying along two of his old chums.

I do wish someone would tell Eric Clapton that he should give up trying to grow a beard, however.  He's been trying for twenty years or so and it never has gotten beyond the looking ill stage.

I'd say it definately is worth watching.  Worth owning-I don't know, there are extremely few concerts I would consider buying since I think of concerts as a one-shot deal, not something to repeatedly watch.

Folsom

Cream concert DVD
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2006, 04:22 am »
The man can grow a beard how and when he pleases, perhaps you have never seen.