Odyssey Epiphany vs. VMPS 626r's Review

gongos

« on: 22 Dec 2005, 07:37 am »
I know this isn't a really fair match, but I bought a friend of pair of the Epiphany's and we had to do a comparison. I thought someone might be interested in the comparison because some reviewers have claimed the Epiphany's are giant killers. All the electronics were the same. The only thing that changed were the speakers. I'm going to be as nice as possible.

The 626r's won and it wasn't close--we all agreed. The Epiphany's sound like the 626r's, but with a sleeping bad wrapped around them. I'm not going to go on and on about all the pros and cons. The biggest difference was the soundstage. The Epiphany's was about a foot behind the speakers and flat against the front wall. The 626r's filled up the entire room--sides, behind, high, and low. Voices, instruments, ticks, and pops came from all over the place.

I was a little relived at the results, thinking a $600 speaker might compete with my $3000 babies, or that I possessed tin ears and couldn't tell the difference.

I will say the Epiphany's image extremely well.

Are the Epiphany's great speakers for the price? Yes. Are they giant killers? Not in this case. It's probably best to think of them as giant killers compared to what you'd get at a local retailer like Magnolia Hi-Fi. I told my friend his $400, used, was well spent. Though he did leave a little grumpy.

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2005, 07:48 am »
I have listened to the epiphany's and I was duly impressed.  The soundstage and realism was somewhat off putting.  I say that because I had already purchased the 626's.  I did not hear them in the same room or even in the same hour.  After 3 hour drive I came home to my speakers.  Somewhat nagging question arose in my head, did I not get the real deal.  After playing some tunes I was happy.
This little comparo of yours makes me feel even better.  I know it should not make a difference, but I am a bargain hunter.
Thanks

warnerwh

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2005, 08:03 pm »
That should be no surprise that it's not a contest.  Vmps speakers are a bargain at their prices so a speaker costing only a fraction as much even though a good deal will not be competetive. That's asking an awful lot of a manufacturer considering the cost constraint he's dealing with.

To put it more in context I've had two people who owned the Gallo References think the 2,000 Vmps 626r's I have here sound better.  A much more fair competition even though the Vmps 626r is a 1000.00 less.  What's that say for the Absolute Sound naming the Gallo's "Product of the year?" There had also been another speaker a person here owned that cost 2,800 that didn't fare well against the 626R's.

The bottom line though is that everyone has their own tastes and budgets.  Your friend went away upset when in reality it wasn't a fair comparison.  Now he's going to get upgraditis and there's no telling what that may lead to :lol:

buckeyefanandy

Are you crazy?
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2005, 09:15 pm »
Try the Odyssey speakers in the similar price point.  The Nightengales $1200 or Lorelies $2700, you have to do an apples to apples comparison.  
The other thing to consider, did your do your comparison on both speakers out of the box, or was one broken in and the other new?

The Odyssey $1500 is a steal of a deal for the new Audio Enthusiast and the whole system, speakers, wires, amp and pre only get better with age.
you could get the system and still have $1500 to spair.

audiojerry

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2005, 11:55 pm »
The 626r is $3,000?

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2005, 11:56 pm »
Hi Guys,

Your friend went away upset when in reality it wasn't a fair comparison. Now he's going to get upgraditis and there's no telling what that may lead to

I have a simple solution for your friend.  Tell him not to listen to his system for a couple of days and he will forget how much better the vmps speakers performed in comparison to his.

I'm sure that the epiphany's perform beyond their price range but it probably provides a lesson about hyperbole on the internet.  I found this out this year after spending $6000au on amplifiers in my system before finding one that sounded a little better than my aksa 100 amplifier did and in some areas (dynamics and bass) my old amp probably sounds better.

Edit:  When i refer to hyperbole i am talking about this in general terms and not specifically about odyssey.

Thanks for the comparison.

Regards

Rod

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
626r
« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2005, 12:08 am »
Base model of the 626R is $1598pr, $1998 with our best tweeter, the FST.  That price now also gets you the Constant Directivity Wave Guide which generates 180 degree horizontal dispersion full range.

You would have to order the TRT cap option to get the speaker up to $3000pr.  

I heard some small speakers from Odyssey last year at RMAF and thought them very good.

gongos

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2005, 12:36 am »
I did the review because I know a lot of people are interested in direct comparisons of speakers at all price points. Hopefully, it will help out a curious shopper, who knows how to use audiocircle's search feature. :o

I'm not all that interested in comparing Odyssey and VMPS speakers, but the situation was so simple I couldn't pass it up. I'd be more than happy for someone to bring any pair of speaker over for a comparison. I'd really like to hear a $10000+ pair. I do know someone locally who has a pair of Nightengales and had a pair of the Lorelies. He's trying to sell the former and currently has the RM-30's.

As for the 626r price. I only spent about $2100 on mine used, but was using the MSRP which would be $3000+ new. Mine have Auricaps $550, MLS cabinets $400, Megawoofer, FST Tweeter$400, Lambswool $20, SR71 application $65, internal wire upgrade $75.

Brian, do current 626r owners get the CD upgrade for free also?

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2005, 01:00 am »
Hi Gongos,

Now all you need to do is the blackhole 5 upgrade.

Regards

Rod

gongos

« Reply #9 on: 23 Dec 2005, 01:04 am »
Quote from: Rocket
Hi Gongos,

Now all you need to do is the blackhole 5 upgrade.

Regards

Rod

That's what the SR71 is.

audiojerry

« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2005, 01:20 am »
and to think Marbles spent months trying to sell his heavily upgraded TRT RM40's for around $3500?
These have TRT's ($1200), Analysis Plus wiring($400), new midwoofers and the TRT caps that go with it ($300), Soundcoating($?), and FST's ($400). Factory approved tweaks: Lambswool, vitrifed passives and internal bracing.

buckeyefanandy

What if?
« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2005, 01:20 am »
I always wanted to rent a Hotel room and set up a rig and let people bring stuff to test from a audio club.  It would be nice to be able to hear everything in person and make the a/b comparison.  Not too many guys in Ohio that I know of.

Marbles

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2005, 01:55 am »
Quote from: audiojerry
and to think Marbles spent months trying to sell his heavily upgraded TRT RM40's for around $3500?
These have TRT's ($1200), Analysis Plus wiring($400), new midwoofers and the TRT caps that go with it ($300), Soundcoating($?), and FST's ($400). Factory approved tweaks: Lambswool, vitrifed passives and internal bracing.

The guy got a smokin' deal at the final price, which was less than $3K  :o

Marbles

Re: What if?
« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2005, 01:57 am »
Quote from: buckeyefanandy
I always wanted to rent a Hotel room and set up a rig and let people bring stuff to test from a audio club.  It would be nice to be able to hear everything in person and make the a/b comparison.  Not too many guys in Ohio that I know of.

There are a few guys around your area that hang out here.

Why not try to start your own club?

Don't worry about doing it in hotels, hotel rooms suck big time.  Doing it in peoples homes is a much better route IMO.

buckeyefanandy

I;m no expert.
« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2005, 02:06 am »
I tried to start a regional club on the audiocircle, but could not find the proper link.

warnerwh

« Reply #15 on: 23 Dec 2005, 04:55 am »
Audiogon has a place for audio clubs in their forums. Check there for your area. Marbles is right you would want to do it in someone's home with hopefully a good acoustical environment. Also you can turn it up more. Good Luck

Rocket

« Reply #16 on: 23 Dec 2005, 05:01 am »
Hi Marbles,

The guy got a smokin' deal at the final price, which was less than $3K

That must have hurt  :( selling them at that price.  I always find it so hard to sell gear second hand with so many time wasters who i'm sure only want to have a listen to someone else's system.

Although i generally factor in that i will only be able to get about 50% of the rrp of the component.

Regards

Rod

Marbles

« Reply #17 on: 23 Dec 2005, 05:14 am »
Quote from: Rocket
Hi Marbles,

The guy got a smokin' deal at the final price, which was less than $3K

That must have hurt  :( selling them at that price.  I always find it so hard to sell gear second hand with so many time wasters who i'm sure only want to have a listen to someone else's system.

Although i generally factor in that i will only be able to get about 50% of the rrp of the component.

Regards

Rod

Thanks Rod...it would have hurt more but I had bought them second hand for just over $3K..I added about $400 more in parts etc..

I've taken worse hits in this hobby.

It DID take a while to sell them though.

There is no shortage of really good equipment out there and I've been fortunate to hear a bunch of it.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #18 on: 23 Dec 2005, 03:24 pm »
buckeyefanandy,

It wasn't that long ago that the two MidWest Audio Fests were held in Lima, and hundreds attended.  Depending on what part of Ohio you're from I'm sure there'd be interest.  And don't dismiss traveling a bit out of state to Detroit, Pittsburgh, etc.  I attended a couple of meetings around Detroit, even thought it's 60 - 100 miles one way.  Their group of roughly 15 met about 10 times a year.

Part of the problem is in the broad spectrum that audio folks represent (SET/high efficiency versus solid state, HT, musical tastes, price ranges, etc.).  But at the same time it's interesting too.  I concur that meeting in homes is preferred as you probably want a small group anyway to be able to have the more ideal/realistic setting and to make the arrangements easier.

ctviggen

« Reply #19 on: 23 Dec 2005, 03:53 pm »
I think it'd be much easier to sell 626s than RM40s.  The RM40s are massive speakers -- you have to have a large room and an appreciative significant other.  Also, Marbles did not want to ship the speakers, which further limited potential buyers.  The 626s would be easy to ship.