New bad to the bone open baffle design, availability!

gprro

« Reply #40 on: 28 Dec 2005, 05:24 am »
Tim,

Sorry to go off topic everyone, but have you ever checked out the DIY screen section at AVS forum? There are some good alternatives. You can also make any size you want, allowing some placement options. Not to mention save a ton of money. You can even paint directly onto the wall, or onto mirrors or clear acrylic. PM me if you want to hear any more.

tjt123

« Reply #41 on: 28 Dec 2005, 06:41 am »
Quote from: gprro
Tim,

Sorry to go off topic everyone, but have you ever checked out the DIY screen section at AVS forum? ...

I have, but hadn't really looked at the "acoustically transparent" stuff over there.  I did find it after I posted my last question, and that lead me back to Kevin's post http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=20731 over here.

Based on what I've read, I think I'm down to:

Either 2 towers and a center on the floor (or a few inches off) with a standard screen if Danny blesses it.

Or 3 Identical towers, one behind a DIY "acoustically transparent" screen.

Both are compromises (isn't everything) but the screen would pivot into the ceiling for no compromise music only listening.  To be honest, I think I'm leaning toward the 3 towers.  If it doesn't work out, I can always build a 4th tower and have a pair for upstairs as well as down. :)

-TIM

gprro

« Reply #42 on: 28 Dec 2005, 06:56 am »
Quote from: tjt123

Or 3 Identical towers, one behind a DIY "acoustically transparent" screen.

Both are compromises (isn't ever ...

3 Identical towers would be awsome, if the screen doesn't effect it. Spaced wide for a 120" screen, 3 towers of these should throw a HUGE front stage with multichanel music :o ! I wonder how close the back of the center can get to the rear wall though?

I've always been worried about using digital PJ's and perf screens. I'm going to have to go with the horizontal  model. Good luck with everything, should be great regardless.

Brucemck

« Reply #43 on: 29 Dec 2005, 05:43 pm »
Danny ... I would need the top of the center channel box to be below 39" in height in order for it to clear the bottom of the screen.

What's the centerline of the tweeter in the tower with the built in subs as currently designed?

Is the center channel that "matches" it available now?

Are the ported units (non sub units) available yet as well, or only the standard towers?

Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #44 on: 30 Dec 2005, 02:44 am »
Danny ... I would need the top of the center channel box to be below 39" in height in order for it to clear the bottom of the screen.

That makes sense.

What's the centerline of the tweeter in the tower with the built in subs as currently designed?

40"

Is the center channel that "matches" it available now?

Not yet.

Are the ported units (non sub units) available yet as well, or only the standard towers?

Not yet. Hang in there. We are working on it.

mpauly

« Reply #45 on: 4 Jan 2006, 04:31 am »
Are there any cabinet plans available for these designs?  I'm still really interested, but wanted to get a better idea of the complexity.

Also, this might have been in the previous thread, but any specs available?

And lastly, if i take the plunge, how to order?

Danny Richie

« Reply #46 on: 4 Jan 2006, 04:42 am »
Are there any cabinet plans available for these designs? I'm still really interested, but wanted to get a better idea of the complexity.

Well drawn cabinet plans have been made. Call me about it and I'll e-mail you a copy of them.

Also, this might have been in the previous thread, but any specs available?

8 ohm nominal impedance dipping slightly at the tweeter end.  90.5db sensitivity. Three way crossover crossing at 200Hz, and 1.8kHz. Frequency response is within +/-2db.

And lastly, if i take the plunge, how to order?

Call to order.

tjt123

« Reply #47 on: 21 Jan 2006, 06:19 am »
Looks like it's a late Christmas for me (or a really really early Christmas depending on your point of view).   :D

Big boxes with the parts for 3 towers showed up today.  Time to start making some sawdust!  

Danny, everything was packed great and made it here in perfect condition.  Let us know when those A/V-1RS type design using the Neo 3 pdr tweeter are ready.  I'll take 2 pair.

A couple of questions.  

The front panel shows as 1" MDF.  I don't see that at my local stores although I'm guessing I could special order it.  Any issue laminating 3/4 & 1/4 or 3/4 and 3/4 for that matter or should I go out of my way to try to find some 1" MDF?

I assume no spikes with these (I didn't see any in your pictures)?  These look like they will weigh a ton when done so I'm guessing they don't really need any?

-TIM

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 21 Jan 2006, 02:52 pm »
You can use 3/4" for the front baffle. No problem. I am just over killing the production version. Not that it has to have it on this design, but people like to see thick front baffles.

I don't think you'll need floor spikes, nut you can add them if you like.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #49 on: 23 Jan 2006, 06:28 pm »
nut you can add them if you like

The N and B are next to each other on the keyboard. :lol:
Spellcheck.

Sorry, the devil made me do it.  :evil:

Tim:  you can laminate 3/4" and 1/4", just be sure to get complete coverage with your adhesive so as not to leave any voids.

Joey Skinner

« Reply #50 on: 28 Jan 2006, 08:06 pm »
If you use the 3/4" baffle won't you have to add 1/4" to all the braces on the cut list that are affected by that change? :?   It might be easier to laminate up a 1 inch baffle.  

I got to listen to these speakers yesterday at Danny's  :o .  

Couple of questions: The sub side panels on the demo model are angled on 3 sides. On the sealed version the side panels will only be angled at the top. Is this correct?

On the side panels that have a large cutout, could you glue up pieces of mdf to make these rather than cutting the hole out of a single piece with a jigsaw?

Danny Richie

« Reply #51 on: 28 Jan 2006, 09:06 pm »
If you use the 3/4" baffle won't you have to add 1/4" to all the braces on the cut list that are affected by that change?

No, only the outside meaurments change and not the inside ones.

The sub side panels on the demo model are angled on 3 sides. On the sealed version the side panels will only be angled at the top. Is this correct?

Correct.

On the side panels that have a large cutout, could you glue up pieces of mdf to make these rather than cutting the hole out of a single piece with a jigsaw?

Yes you can.

tjt123

« Reply #52 on: 29 Jan 2006, 06:57 pm »
I'll probably check a local lumber yard to see if I can get 1" MDF since I need 2X4s to build out the basement anyhow and I'm guessing that I'll get higher quality by bypassing Home Depot / Menards.  Failing that, I'll probably laminate 2 X 1/2" sheets to get 1".

One other thought that I had, would be to try laminating hardwood to MDF.  My fear is that the hardwood would split over time especially considering the large size of the front bezel.  Has anyone tried this for such large front panels?

-TIM

Brucemck

« Reply #53 on: 15 May 2006, 06:58 pm »
Danny, any estimate on timing for the shorter versions and for the matching center?

Danny Richie

« Reply #54 on: 15 May 2006, 07:48 pm »
The shorter one is a done deal. I am really happy with how it sounds, but I have been holding off of releasing it until my next shipment of M-130's get here so that the orders for them won't wipe me out.

My M-130/16 (16 ohm version) will be here on Friday.

Runs of 500 woofers at a time, per type, just aren't going as far as they used to and delays in new orders getting here have caused me to have a shortage.

Hang in there.

danm

« Reply #55 on: 15 May 2006, 08:22 pm »
Quote from: Danny
The shorter one is a done deal. I am really happy with how it sounds, but I have been holding off of releasing it until my next shipment of M-130's get here so that the orders for them won't wipe me out.

My M-130/16 (16 ohm version) will be here on Friday.

Runs of 500 woofers at a time, per type, just aren't going as far as they used to and delays in new orders getting here have caused me to have a shortage.

Hang in there.

Sweet, I'll be ordering three just as soon as you're ready  :mrgreen:  I plan on doing the center in an inverted 'T' arrangement, normal vertical mtm section with the ww section horizontal, how do you think that'll sound?

danm

« Reply #56 on: 22 May 2006, 10:54 pm »
So Danny, do think that center arrangement will work without tweaking the crossover, and did you get the shipment of M-130's  :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 23 May 2006, 12:19 am »
So Danny, do think that center arrangement will work without tweaking the crossover, and did you get the shipment of M-130's

Yes I think it might and I am still waiting on woofers.

I have been really going through the woofers this year.

I have 16 ohmers that will be here this week and they should have been here two weeks ago.

I have 500 more standard M-130's that shipped out last week along with 500 shielded ones. They will be here in about two weeks.

danm

« Reply #58 on: 23 May 2006, 02:56 am »
Quote from: Danny
So Danny, do think that center arrangement will work without tweaking the crossover, and did you get the shipment of M-130's

Yes I think it might and I am still waiting on woofers.

I have been really going through the woofers this year.

I have 16 ohmers that will be here this week and they should have been here two weeks ago.

I have 500 more standard M-130's that shipped out last week along with 500 shielded ones. They will be here in about two weeks.

Cool, can you tell I'm still working on patience ?!?!?!?!? :) :) :)