Ebert's Ten Best

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Ebert's Ten Best
« on: 21 Dec 2005, 08:58 am »
For those who like Roger Ebert, check out his list of the Ten Best Films of 2005.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Ebert's Ten Best
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2005, 12:12 pm »
Thanks Rob.

I haven't seen any of the top ten films, but I will print out the list and keep me eye out for those movies as they become available on DVD.

George

PhilNYC

Ebert's Ten Best
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2005, 12:57 pm »
I'm stunned that "Crash" is listed as number 1.  I rented it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was mediocre at best..."posed and contrived" is a description I heard that I thought fit it best.

Its a movie that would have been excellent 20 years ago, but racism has been portrayed/analyzed in far more genuine and intelligent ways in TV and film over the last two decades...

ScottMayo

Re: Ebert's Ten Best
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2005, 02:35 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
For those who like Roger Ebert, check out his list of the Ten Best Films of 2005.

I'm pretty sure he lives on a different planet than I do. The only one on his list that I'd *considered* seeing was King Kong, and maybe Syrania.

cbj

Ebert's Ten Best
« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2005, 02:37 pm »
Thanks for the link.  I've only seen a couple of those since I've pretty much given up on going to the theater.  I usually don't give to much weight to Ebert's reviews these days,  I've found that Joe Morgenstern's picks are more to my taste.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Ebert's Ten Best
« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2005, 02:50 pm »
Quote from: ScottMayo
I'm pretty sure he lives on a different planet than I do.

I would say most of us do...  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

George

ctviggen

Ebert's Ten Best
« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2005, 03:29 pm »
I think I'm on Scott's planet.  One year, a friend and I decided to watch Ebert's top ten list.  I thought many of the movies bordered on unwatchable.  I think part of that is because I watch movies to get away from pressures of life.  For me, I'll take a Jackie Chan movie over Brokeback Mountain any day.  I'm sure the latter is outstanding and poignant, but it's also dang depressing.  I follow this with my music trends too -- there's only so much Lucinda Williams I can take before I simply have to listen to something else.

Rocket

Ebert's Ten Best
« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2005, 12:31 am »
Hi,

For me, I'll take a Jackie Chan movie over Brokeback Mountain any day

A man after my own heart   :) .  The more action the better imo.

Regards

Rod

suits_me

Ebert's Ten Best
« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2005, 04:18 am »
I sense this crowd is more "Bound" than "Brokeback".

Ebert's got an awful lot of films on that list, with his jury addendum and everything. Many of the ones from his top ten haven't even come around my parts.

And most Jackie Chan movies are pure junk. You really have to go back to "Project A". I prefer the first two "Once Upon a Time in China" movies for non-infantile fun. (Fighting words, I know....) Also, "Twilight Samurai", which is what "Brokeback" was trying for, I think.

Folsom

Ebert's Ten Best
« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2005, 05:03 am »
Crash was a great movie. While it was just depicting real life possibly scenarios, that are in particular, sadly, part of every day around the world... The way it brought them together and gave a little insight to complex situations for short mindedness of different people, how far some people limit themselves to thinking, and then what it took to change their mind if at all.

When I watched Crash I felt like I was watching a reality TV show. The directing was good, the lines, and the actors. I felt all of them to be way too believable, and way to realistic as characters. That impressive feature is hard to notice because you feel like you are watching people you could or do know. I have to say I am a huge fan of logical reasoning, which applies to every thing but love (for the most part), so this movie’s aspects on why people behaved as they do where nice. Unfortunately it never really brought any thing new to the table, for the aspects of the people and their behavior, for me, that is the biggest fault of the movie to me. I however suspect many, even most, people do not feel the same, let alone take the time to think about such things.

The sad thing is I have yet to see any other movie in the top ten. The gay cowboy film looks good. No I am not gay; I have a friend that is gay though. Insight into the life of people that are different and a point of disgust, and the reasoning that all works that plays it out is very interesting, yet sad when you can understand it and see the people who hate because they do not or are covering some thing up.

The truth above all is that I just want more Coen and Guy Ritchie movies to come out!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Ebert's Ten Best
« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2005, 05:54 am »
I really want to see "Brokeback Mountain."  No, I'm not gay either but it sounds like a great film.  Did anyone here see "Boys Don't Cry"?  It starred Hilary Swank in the story of the murder of Teena Brandon, a Nebraska girl murdered for being a lesbian masquerading as a man.  Depressing as hell, yes, but a tour de force performance by Swank and incredibly moving.  I nearly forgot I was just watching a movie.

My taste in movies is varied- sometimes I crave escapist fare, but I like "serious" films, too.  The subject of a film is almost irrelevant to whether or not I'll like the movie.  You can make a terrible film about a serious topic and a great film based on something frivolous.  Sometimes films are art, sometimes movies are just fun.

I don't always agree with Ebert, but I often do.  And I think I understand how he rates films enough that I can usually tell if I'll like it by what he writes.  That's the main usefulness of a critic to me.  Some of the films on his list don't look interesting to me, but on the strength of my respect for him as a film connisuer I'll probably try them all (except Syriana).

ctviggen

Ebert's Ten Best
« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2005, 01:17 pm »
My fiancee really wants to see Brokeback Mountain, so I'll probably go with her.  I respect these types of movies, but at heart, I'm still a Dodgeball or Wedding Crashers type of movie goer.  On the other hand, when I do get sucked into these intense type movies, I like them -- most times.  I still think American Beauty, for instance, was too darn depressing to watch ever again.