tweeter repair

CornellAlum

tweeter repair
« on: 21 Dec 2005, 02:11 am »
While installing BH5/bracing, etc, I removed the tweeters and one of the binding posts, err screws, snapped in half on me one one of the tweeters (FST's).  It looks like something I can probably fix myself rather than bother Brian.  Does anyone know how easy it would be to replace screw?  I tried glue, not happening.  Any idea why it would just snap?  Isn't steel or something?  

Thanks in advance.

D~

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Tweeter
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2005, 02:45 am »
As long as you have electrical continuity, you do not need the screw to be fastened down. Otherwise return to us for replacement.

B

CornellAlum

tweeter repair
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2005, 11:54 am »
So, can I just solder wire directly to what is left of the screw then B?  I think this might work.  The damned thing just cracked in half on me :oops:

ctviggen

tweeter repair
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2005, 12:44 pm »
Yes, you can just solder to what's remaining.

CornellAlum

tweeter repair
« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2005, 10:52 pm »
I'll give it a go and report back.  Thanks fellas.

D~

CornellAlum

tweeter repair
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2006, 05:40 pm »
Has anyone gotten a reply to an e-mail from Big B?  I sent the tweeter back a couple weeks ago I think it was, and have sent three or four e-mails without reply.  Any ideas what I can do here?  I am missing my tweeter bigtime.

D~

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
tweeter repair
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2006, 05:48 pm »
JC reported that Big B had/has a case of influenza following CES.  Have not noticed his presence on the board lately and so I assume he is still under the weather.

CornellAlum

tweeter repair
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2006, 06:17 pm »
Bummer, I hope he feels better.  Does VMPS not have employee's?

Brian Cheney

small stuff
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2006, 06:51 pm »
Production continues in my absence, but I handle most of the customer service.  I'm going in today to see what I can catch up on.

CornellAlum

tweeter repair
« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2006, 02:24 pm »
Thank you sir, you are the best.  Feel better.  Whiskey and orange juice all heated up does the trick for me 8)  :lol:

Brian Cheney

ups
« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2006, 06:46 pm »
In its wisdom UPS delivered your returned tweeter to a clueless neighbor who held on to it for a while for old times' sake.

I'll see if we can't get it back to you today.

CornellAlum

tweeter repair
« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2006, 03:02 am »
Are you serious?  I am going down there tomorrow to bitch.  :nono:  :mrgreen:

Honestly, it is some computer firm with all Russian speaking people besides a couple of my clients.  I bet one of them got it and just sat it on a desk.  You can add "State Farm" if that would help.

Thanks again

Daryan

CornellAlum

tweeter repair
« Reply #12 on: 8 Feb 2006, 06:42 pm »
Is Big B sick again?  I haven't seen him around much, and I still need a tweeter!

D~

CornellAlum

tweeter repair
« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2006, 04:13 pm »
OK, I am starting to get extremely upset about all of this.  I am also questioning why in the world I purchased these speakers in the first place if this was the level of customer support I could expect.  I have sent e-mails, pm's, phone calls, you name it, and nothing.  No response, certainly no replacement tweeter to replace the one that flat out was defective if it broke that easily, no nothing.   I am a wit's end.  First I go into my speaker and discover step down capacitors placed on very different aspects of the crossover, on two different caps, and they sure as heck were not the $500 auricaps I paid for.  So much for that trimming marketing nonsense.  Then, I discover freaking dayton by-pass capacitors in my crossovers.  Dayton bypass caps, what in god's name for?  If you wanted to use by-pass caps, I believe the $500 I paid for auricaps should have covered it.  I have pictures to prove all of this and may well post them this evening when I get home.  Finally, I remove the tweeter to install the bh5 which was reccomended by the factory, and the binding post to the tweeter flat out popped off.  I know they are OEM aurum cantus drivers from China, but I would have expected better quality control in all aspects of the construction of my speakers.  

My carreer IS customer service for my financial services and insurance client's, and if I had EVER treated one of my clients like I am being treated, I would most likely lose them as well as their friends.   I am done ranting, but this is ridiculous.  I feel ripped off as it is over the capacitors, but all I really wanted was a new tweeter.  Had I known it would have taken this long, I would have spent the 80 bucks and bought the Aurum Cantus g2si myself just to avoid this nonsense.  

Daryan

Brian Cheney

tweeter
« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2006, 04:26 pm »
We sent you a new tweeter last Monday.  I have missed most of a month with the flu and things are backed up at the factory and on the communications side.  We also lost our phone/email service for 3 days as SBC tried to figure out why.  Service was restored yesterday afternoon.

As for the bypass caps, they aren't.  I take every pair of speakers to my soundroom and tweek the crossovers to 1/200th of one percent.  The values are smaller than Auricaps make, but the difference in sound quality is worth the effort.  We use very small Vishay and other polyprops for this.

My apologies for the slow response.

Brian Cheney

tweeter
« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2006, 04:32 pm »
Processing of your return was also prolonged by a lack of a note accompanying the part, and no return address on the box.  The postmark was too faint to read.  It took some detective work to determine that the tweeter was from you.

CornellAlum

tweeter repair
« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2006, 04:34 pm »
Thanks Brian, my faith is restored.  Feel better and delete this thread.

CornellAlum

tweeter repair
« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2006, 02:11 am »
Just a public note of thanks to Brian for getting the replacement to me.  Everything is well taken care of at this point.  Thanks VMPS, my faith is restored and I am once again a happy client.

Daryan

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
tweeter repair
« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb 2006, 03:15 am »
Just to relate my experience,  I noticed a stretched ribbon on my FST when I was removing the horn.  I PMed Brian and he told me to send it back for replacement at no charge.  I had told him I didn't think I stretched it as I was removing the plate but I wasn't sure.  He wrote back saying he would replace it regardless.  I got a replacement today.  I will be placing it back on my wife's office speakers from which I had scavenged an FST for my RM 40s.  My wife was gracious enough to let me do this since she mostly works at home and she knows how I can get if I don't get to play with my toys.  :mrgreen:

Thanks again, Big B.