Larger's vs. Velodyne HGS-15X

John Casler

« Reply #20 on: 20 Dec 2005, 07:18 pm »
Quote from: KJ
John, I'm assuming your Largers have the megawoofers.  Brian's instructions on the Larger sub indicate that you should have 300 watts RMS per driver or 600 watts RMS if you drive both of them with a single amp (bridge cable).  Each driver is an 8ohm load, 4ohms if bridged together.  That being the case, do you feel that the 300watts RMS per driver recommendation is overkill?

-KJ

Watts and Subs are like $money$ and beautiful blonds; you can never "really" have enough.

That said, if you look closely I am referencing "multiple" subs and as such the power requirement may be lower for a given space.

On a single sub the 1000w amp we offer is one I suggest quite strongly.  If you go with 3 and 4 subs like I do, the need is not quite as high. (although it is still hard to equal the dollar/watt value of the Onboard amp we offer.  1000 clean watts for $400 is hard to match, plus the filter/EQ controls are great)

B's suggestion is pretty much what I too would suggest for a single LARGER in most rooms.

But I have heard the LARGER run with a 65w reciever channel before, and too my amazement, it was quite impressive.

Points being:

1) If you're on a budget, you can get by with 200w (as evidenced by my SoA)

2) Multiple subs will lessen the need for huge power needs.

PS, I might mention also that I ran the LARGERs for a while with the NuFORCE Ref 8 amps (100w @ 8 ohms) and they performed as dynamically and as cleanly as the 300wpc of the CineNova.

So for those who already have the Passive VMPS sub, the NuFORCE offers a fabulous degree of HIGH Perfromance for musical, and dynamic bass.  (especially if you ask Casey to build the amp for the lower octaves)

KJ

« Reply #21 on: 20 Dec 2005, 08:47 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
PS, I might mention also that I ran the LARGERs for a while with the NuFORCE Ref 8 amps (100w @ 8 ohms) and they performed as dynamically and as cleanly as the 300wpc of the CineNova.

I've been running mine with a Ref 9, but I haven't pushed it to any extreme.  Wasn't quite sure how much power was really necessary for strong HT listening (I don't use it for stereo).  Don't want any clipping to occur.

-KJ