Just Purchased New Timepeices

bhobba

« on: 20 Dec 2005, 02:36 am »
Hi All

Just to let everyone know (Bob already does because we had a nice discussion sorting out problems with the credit card) I purchased the Timepieces.  Splurged and got the sonicap and cardas upgrade.  I suspect the sonicap may be audible - don't know about the cardas but I like the idea of really strong binding posts since the day I trod on the cable going into a pair of speakers and snapped the binding post.

Will be taking delivery sometime next year.  In the mean time I am looking to build some stands and get an amp.  Seriously considering a Panny XR55.  Only concern is it has no pre out so I can not connect other amps.  However the all digital amplification of the Panny appeals as well as its automatic bi amplification in stereo mode.  Will be using a boulder cable modded SB3 as the source.  Another advantage of the panny is it will only require the digital mods but the analogue out on that fed direct to amps is supposed to be really special.

Thanks
Bill

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2005, 02:52 am »
Folks,

I'd like to personally welcome Bill to the family.  Won't our other family members join me?  Welcome aboard Bill! :bounce:  
You do know that once you have opened that door, there's no going back - don't you? :wink: Soon you will be scrutinizing every cable and component in your system.  In that, you'll also be dicovering that the new Reference for the new Millennium...is not just another marketing slogan - for good or bad.

Enjoy,
-Bob

mixsit

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2005, 03:47 am »
Hey' there Bill. I'm over the hill in Sac' and just did the same for a set of Continuum AD's.
Maybe we'll be sharing notes soon. :wink:
You do know that once you have opened that door, there's no going back - don't you?
I ain't scared.
:P
Wayne

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2005, 03:47 am »
Welcome to the SP Technology family Bill. I think Bob is correct in stating that these speakers will have you "re" evaluating the associated components in your system.
 I do hope you will keep us up to date on your findings!

Happy Holidays :xmas:

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2005, 05:01 am »
Hi Bhobba,

Congratulations on your timepieces and hopefully they will be to your liking.  Btw have you figured out how much shipping is going to cost you?  Let me know if you need advice regarding the most cost effective method and also about customs fees etc.

If you are interested in an affordable good quality amplifier i may have an n.e.w. dc-66 for sale next year.  It is a battery amplifier and i'm thinking about getting it converted to ac (the batteries are too expensive and cost in the vicinity of $600au to replace).

I have 2 other amps at home and don't need a third one.  As an alternative you might be able to get a good deal on a Son of Ampzilla as the dealer is Keen to move stock.  Pat at War Audio is selling the new bel canto amps for $2200au (including taxes) which are rated at 350 watts per channel and may be another consideration.

Anyway let me know if you are interested.

Regards

Ro

bhobba

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2005, 05:05 am »
Quote from: Response Audio
Welcome to the SP Technology family Bill. I think Bob is correct in stating that these speakers will have you "re" evaluating the associated components in your system. I do hope you will keep us up to date on your findings!:

Of course.  Just bear with me though - my finances are not great at the moment.  I would really like to get some better amps etc for a try but initally the Panny will have to do.  I may even try one of your valve jobs Bill.  And considering I am a died in the wool solid state guy that is a testiment to your posts.

Just a question to the group.  Seeing I am not taking delivery of them for a while does anyone think it could be of vlaue to have them reviewed?  I  notice no reviews of the Timepiece 2.1.  I was thinking Peter Aczel of the Audio Critic might be an interesting reviewer.  

Quote from: Response Audio
Happy Holidays :xmas:

Right back at ya all.

Thanks
Bill

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2005, 08:17 am »
Good luck Bill with your future TP's.... :beer:
    I think you will enjoy them....and be amazed at the same time.[/list:u]
    In the mean time I am looking to build some stands and get an amp.
    [/list:u]
      Make sure you build strong stands, the TP are no lightweights, thats for sure !!! As for amps...if you have a few buddies, invite them over with their amps, then you can get a better idea what works well.[/list:u]
        Happy listening !!![/list:u]
          Chris[/list:u]
            Hey Bob....Pack them good, its a long way to Oz.... 8) [/list:u]

mixsit

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2005, 08:49 am »
    Quote from: lonewolfny42
    Hey Bob....Pack them good, its a long way to Oz....
    Silly me Bill, I thought you were in South San Francisco. :bomb:

Cheers just the same!
    Wayne

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
    « Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2005, 09:10 am »
    Quote from: mixsit
    Quote from: lonewolfny42
    Hey Bob....Pack them good, its a long way to Oz....
    Silly me Bill, I thought you were in South San Francisco. :bomb:

Cheers just the same!
    Wayne
    Wayne....Maybe Bill can invite you over for a listen....its summer in Oz now... 8)
      Chris[/list:u]

bhobba

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2005, 12:31 am »
    Hi Rod.

Nice to hear from you again especially since you are another Aussi and understand the issues we face here with GST etc.

Quote from: Rocket
    Congratulations on your timepieces and hopefully they will be to your liking.

As you know my search for new speakers has been a long one.  I was initially very interested in a DEQX.  But it became obvious after a while audible differences between it and a properly designed crossover were minimal - its real use is in room correction.  And issues with ringing due to the high slopes used remain.  DEQX claim it is inaudible.  Some however claim with very revealing speakers it is audible.  I looked at a WAR reference 1 but after looking closer at the Timepieces was unsure if the difference in cost was worth it.  With the 30% discount the temptation was too great.  And yes buying a speaker unheard is a gamble.  However I have read enough of Bobs posts to know his ideas on speaker deigning were very similar to mine.  And the following review really cinched it:
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1003/sptechnology.htm
    'What sound?? They essentially make virtually no coloring to the reproduced music. At least none that I can hear per se. I do not hear the normal
    "thumbprint" character that most loudspeakers exhibit in the bass response. Balance is maintained from the very low 30 Hz range to beyond the range of normal human hearing. All the talk of imaging, bloom, warmth, tiss, spit, sizzle, glare and other words used to describe the sound just does not apply here.'

And that from a guy with over 30 years building and designing speakers.  The only other speaker I have heard described like that is the Seas transmission line Thor; a speaker I was considering building and connecting to a DEQX.

Quote from: Rocket
    Btw have you figured out how much shipping is going to cost you? Let me know if you need advice regarding the most cost effective method and also about customs fees etc.

Thanks for the offer but Bob already has someone he uses.

Merry Christmas and best new year wishes to all.

Thanks
    Bill