Questions about blu-ray and hd-dvd's and such (I'm new)

pennylane

This is what I know (or at least, what I think I know):
So the higher resolution DVD's are coming out, but there will still be a format war coming and they may not be popular for another couple to another few years.

Now... I'm currently in college but I imagine I'll have a steady job by the time these higher res formats come out, so I'm wondering what will happen to movies that are in DVD format now.

1)  Movies are first digitized to 1080p, right?  Then they are transferred to 480i for DVD's as we know them today.  Can this be done for ALL movie of any time period (or at least semi-recently) with good results?  Basically, will movies get a bump in resolution when re-released as blue-ray or whatever?

2)  I'm assuming this will depend on the engineering, remastering, and original quality of the film.  Will things like 90's cartoon series (say, the Simpsons), noticably improve if they come out in a high res format?  I doubt it will compared to a live action movie.  Basically, how much will movies improve in picture quality?

I realize that this is the way technology is... with things getting obsolete very fast.  Consumers haven't exactly embraced SA-CD's and DVD-A's... but I think video is more readily noticable than audio, so I imagine higher res video formats will catch on more readily than higher ros audio formats.  But it's just annoying in this "transition" period, wondering what will happen to movies.  I wonder what DVD's are worth collecting right now.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2005, 04:13 pm »
DVD isn't going anywhere, anytime soon, regardless of anything else.

Ears

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2005, 10:26 pm »
We will know more in just a week about hi res dvd formats....especially Blu Ray at Cedia.

I can't wait to find out more info on the Optoma h-80 1080p dlp pj with rumored 1500 lumens 8000/1 contrast and 4k bulb  dlp pj for 6k list.

If true....we could be looking at 1080 dlp pj's at 4k or so street by this summer :o