Clannad pronounced- farfrignuton

MaxCast

« on: 17 Dec 2005, 01:13 pm »
Just kidding but I had a little confusion for a minute looking for Moya Brennon  because I got results for Marie Brennon.  A quick trip to their web site www.jtwinc.com, btw) showed correct pronunciation/spelling.  Man,  Celtic/Galic words are nothing like their spelling... :?

Anyway, I heard a live "concert" from Moya on XM radio....she sounded framiliar, especially when she sang Harrys Game.  Looked her up and sure enough she is from Clannad.  

I have Clannad greatest hits but want more.  Where do I start?
Clannad...
Moya solo...
Enya solo...

rec's please, Thanksj!

Scott F.

« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2005, 08:40 pm »
Hiya Maxcast,

Isn't (aren't) Clannad the group that is featured in the Kevin Cosnter movie The Postman? If so, I've been looking for their CD for sometime.

When it comes to decent Celtic music, a good place to start is Loreena McKinnett (sp). Enya is OK but she's a bit pop(ish). Also there is Dalla, Solas and Altan. My Celtic collection isn't very deep but I do enjoy these discs.

Happy hunting!

electricbear

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2005, 08:57 pm »
Scott I knew there was some Scotch in you and not jut of the liquid variety. Another good group to look out for is Runrig, they do music with a celtic vein running through it.

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2005, 10:43 pm »
Quote from: electricbear
Scott I knew there was some Scotch in you and not jut of the liquid variety. Another good group to look out for is Runrig, they do music with a celtic vein running through it.

:D

Say hello to one of my (shirt-tail) cousins in Ireland. :mrgreen:

Papajin

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2005, 10:57 pm »
Enya is OK but she's a bit pop(ish).

Funny you should mention Enya.  Clannad is made up of several of Enya's relatives including her sister, and she did a short stint as their keyboardist and backing vocals.  Some possibly useful info in the 2 links in the above text. :)

Personally I find Enya to be more new-agey, and Clannad to be a bit popish myself.  Could just be the single Clannad album I have though.