Antony and the Johnsons...

jon_010101

« on: 17 Dec 2005, 01:51 am »
Just got "I am a Bird Now"; 2 listens and it is already my top for the year.  

Amazing male vocals, like nothing I've heard.  Great music, great recording.  Some serious guest artists too.

DeanSheen

« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2005, 05:42 pm »
Well it's good to see mention of these type acts on HD.

I heard of them via. C93's David Tibet who has been pushing them for some time.  My friend is really into A&TJ, I just cant really get into them.  Havent heard that one, but the one he has played for me had a cabaret feel to it.

Have you ever tried Nurse With Wound or Coil?

Check out brainwashed.com They love AT&J over there.

jon_010101

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2005, 10:39 pm »
Quote from: DeanSheen
Well it's good to see mention of these type acts on HD.

I heard of them via. C93's David Tibet who has been pushing them for some time.  My friend is really into A&TJ, I just cant really get into them.  Havent heard that one, but the one he has played for me had a cabaret feel to it.

Have you ever tried Nurse With Wound or Coil?

Check out brainwashed.com They love AT&J over there.

Thanks for the link suggestion... I haven't tried the ones you list... but there is a LOT of great independent-label music these days.  Pitchfork media just came out with their top 50, and Sufjan Stevens, Antony and The Johnsons, and Wolf Parade caught spots 1, 5, and 10, respectively.  Each one has had a thread dedicated to it in the Audiocircle music forum.

DeanSheen

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2005, 11:16 pm »
Sweet.  I get a little flustered around here as not much music is discussed and much of it that is isnt what I'm into.

Pitchfork is ok.  I check it out  a couple times a week.  Loved that article on the Satanism scare video from the late 80's.  I spend entirely too much time on www.ihatemusic.com where more mention of sounds I'm into appear.  It's sort of the anti ilovemusic which is much more uhh mainstream.. college rockchartish blahhh.  

Since your willing I'll send you over to the WFMU website who has excellent shows that are broken down by track so you can skip through them.  I like a bunch of stuff on Brian Turners show.

For shopping and samples, www.aquariusrecords.org is my favorite online music store.  I buy a bunch of stuff they have on there.  It's updated every other friday, get on the list so you remember then pop over and listen through.  

I havent done my err top 10 list but 2 things that are gonne be on there (both samples  are over on Aquarius) are

EARTH: Hex or Printing in the Infernal Method (Southern Lord)
This is kinda countryish wild west melancholia guitar/steel guitar/banjo.  Very nice.

Wooden Wand and the Vanishing Voice: Buck Dharma (5RC)
Freer form neu folkisms.  At first the faux lp noise pissed me off but there is great depth to the recording if you can get passed/used to it.