Anyone having problems with a SB2?

ctviggen

« on: 16 Dec 2005, 12:59 am »
I happen to think that the SB2 is one of the buggiest things I've ever seen, after Microsoft's pre-NT operating systems.  Here are the problems I've had with it:

1) the frequency meter that's typically in the right hand side completely covers the screen when playing.  In other words, the "now playing" is on top of the frequency meter, which is underneath and covers the whole screen.  I cannot fix this.

2) Selecting "crossfade" to anything other than none causes me problems.  I've been able to get "crossfade" to work (after a restart of everything), but not "fade in and out", which requires me basically to reset everything and go back to no crossfade.  

3) If I set the "sleep" timer, sometimes it'll go off again the next day at whatever sleep time I set the night before.

4) There are times when the SB2 goes off for no reason I can discern; other times, it keeps playing for as long as I'd like to listen to it.

5) The random play has me flummoxed.  Sometimes, I swear I hear the same set of songs again, verified by my fiancee.  Why?  I haven't been able to figure it out.  Now, I have switched "Reshuffle on Repeat" to "leave in same order", so perhaps this setting will fix this problem.  I haven't had it on this setting long enough to know

6) Compared to iTunes, the slim server software is one thousand times (ok, so I tend toward hyperbole) harder to use.  When you're used to using iTunes, Slim Server is like having your wisdom teeth pulled with no drugs.

7) Why are there no error messages?  When the SB2 can't get to the network, why doesn't it say "Can't connect to network" and leave that up instead of going off?  

no.8 I had some popping issues (the song being played would cause pops on my speakers).  I thought that the installation of Google Desktop was the problem, but after GD finished, the pops continued and I had to restart the computer and the SB2.

Don't get me wrong, as I love the SB2, but I've had way more problems with it than I've had with anything I can remember.  Anyone else?

(edited because eight followed by paranthesis becomes a smiley with sunglasses)

jakepunk

« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2005, 01:26 am »
1. Keep pressing the Now Playing button on the remote control to get rid of the spectrum analyzer.  It cycles between the states of {right side,  overlay, invisible} as you press Now Playing.

4. This sounds like a network problem.  We'll need more information to diagnose it: operating system, wired or wireless, wireless router make, model, and firmware, etc.

6. No argument there.  slimserver is written in perl to work on any platform there is.

Tweaker

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2005, 01:46 am »
The one problem I had with mine was the MAC address spontaneously changed (not a good thing). I called tech support and the guy new what was wrong as soon as I described the symptoms, which was I lost my connection and the signal strength jumped up and down from 0 to 95%. This is apparently due to a bug in the 15 Firmware and was easily fixed by going into the setup screen and entering the MAC address that is printed on the bottom of the player. I'm still using the 15 firmware and have had no issues since.

avta

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2005, 09:33 pm »
Have you tried resetting the unit to the factory settings? You can do this by unplugging the power cord then reconnect it while you hold down the ADD button on the remote. You might also consider downloading Slimserver 6.2.2 if you haven't yet done so.

Guy