Computer with cans

mca

Computer with cans
« on: 15 Dec 2005, 11:32 pm »
I have been thinking about setting up a computer to use with headphones. I will be using Itunes with Apple lossless and a set of Audio Technica ATH-A900 phones. What is the best way to do this? Highend soundcard wih headphone jack? Does anyone make a USB headphone amp?

Folsom

Computer with cans
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2005, 07:00 am »
Portable?

M-audio has a USB soundcard with a decent enough headphone jack on it.

Personally I really have no say until I know what computer. Then I will say my opinion on soundcards. Then I will say I recommend an external amplifier just in general, makes a large difference. I have higher impedence headphones then you however, so without an amplifier for me sucks.

elnero

Computer with cans
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2005, 01:11 pm »
There are numerous ways to go about setting up a computer audio system and probably far more qualified people to explain the ins and outs but I'll try to give some basics.

Option 1:

Get a decent soundcard like an EMU 0404, output to your headphone amp of choice.

Option 2:

Find a decent bit perfect soundcard for a reasonable price, the Chaintech AV710 comes to mind, use the digital output to an external DAC then to an amp.

Option 3:

There are a few combination DAC/amp products on the market now like the new Meier Audio Aria which has a USB DAC and what is supposed to be a very good amp for a relatively reasonable price.

Option 4:

Output to a Squeezebox then to a DAC and/or amp.

mca

Computer with cans
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2005, 09:22 pm »
Portable?

M-audio has a USB soundcard with a decent enough headphone jack on it.

Personally I really have no say until I know what computer. Then I will say my opinion on soundcards. Then I will say I recommend an external amplifier just in general, makes a large difference. I have higher impedence headphones then you however, so without an amplifier for me sucks.

No not portable. Just a way to listen to my music with phones and not have to deal with a bunch of CD's.

Computer is just a basic Sony, Pentium 4, 2.0ghz with 512mb ram, 300gb external HD.

Folsom

Computer with cans
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2005, 07:45 pm »
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/index.htm

Not that cheap. Looks nice most certainly. If that is out of the price range then...

http://www.emu.com/shop/shopcategory.asp?category=506& The soundcard, but you would need an external amplifier. I have no idea if you build your own or what you do.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/AudiophileUSB-main.html
Built in amp that is probably rather good for the bundle and for your headphones. Ignore the retail price, it is way cheaper on other websites. (I would buy from www.newegg.com as they are the number one site, and all around amazing in all my dealings with them, but it appears to be out of stock at the moment)

I have read about a few other USB sound cards but I forget the names.

mca

Computer with cans
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2005, 12:45 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. I have an email in to Meier and will also look into the M-Audio products.

Jakkar

Computer with cans
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2006, 09:51 pm »
I am using the Meier Corda Aria in my office directly from my laptop and iTunes.  It is really very good.  You also have the RCA inputs on the back to allow you to connect to CDPs etc.  I believe it is an excellent buy.