Interested in Le Amp II's - but hifi stupid!

BumEggs

« on: 1 May 2003, 09:19 am »
Well, not entirely stupid but...

On this 'monobloc' system which you all seem to be getting very excited about, excatly what do you need to replace my existing solid state amplifiers?
These are all I've ever owned. Presumably if I did now want something like this setup I'd need a preamp? Something to switch inputs?

Bearing in mind that my favourite input is vinyl and that I have a heavily mangled Thorens TD150, what's the situation regarding that.

What makes two amps so attractive as regards sound?

Very many thanks in advance to anyone that responds.

ABEX

« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2003, 10:36 am »
If you already have a preamp with a Phonoamp that is inside then all you would be replaceing is the amp you use.A monoamp is just seperated channels.

If you have a reciever then you would need to get the amps and a preamp that has a built in phonoamp or another words phonostage.

A monoblock is just having different the cahnnels L\R in their own seperate boxes which makes them more versatile when it comes to using the them in setups.Plus it removes interference for better seperation between channels.Eliminates distortion between channels.No more crosstalk.

There are other benefits which are that you are able to Bridge the amps for more power.Capablie to Vertical and Bi-Amping speakers.

Hope that helps.

Ferdi

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2003, 01:14 pm »
Hi Eggs, you could check if your current amplifier or receiver has pre-out. That way you can use it as a pre without having to spring for a seperate pre-amp (immediately). Over time it may well be better to sell you existing amp once you find a pre you like.

BumEggs

« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2003, 01:31 pm »
Quote from: Ferdi
Hi Eggs, you could check if your current amplifier or receiver has pre-out. That way you can use it as a pre without having to spring for a seperate pre-amp (immediately). Over time it may well be better to sell you existing amp once you find a pre you like.

Thanks, both of you. Yes, I think that it does.

It's a 'Roksan Kandy', a MK I. It has those two extra outputs at the back,
currently with a bridge to complete the cir cuit. I'd guess it's that?

I've got Norh 5.1's. Do you imagine it's worthwhile amping these as We're suggesting? I don't have a sub either.

Going back to basics - what would you consider doing(something other than these Le amps?), given that my bias is towards vinyl.

Thanks again.

ABEX

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2003, 08:39 pm »
"Roksan Kandy', a MK I"

I am not familar with this manf. ,but what makes you think you need that much power of the LeAmpII's?Just wondering!

For vinyl I would get the LeAmp and an FT Audio Passive and add a Musical surroundings PhonoAmp.That's only if you plan on going with the LeAmps.I think it would be your best bet for what you are after.How much of an upgrade depends on the performance of the Roskan or how much satisfaction you get with your present setup.

Good Luck! 8)

sceptic

Source First
« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2003, 08:58 pm »
The Thorens is a good start, I used to have a 160.

What arm and cartridge do you have?

The avatar picture is my original Roksan Xerxes turntable.

I wouldn't  recommend upgrading your amplifier until your turntable is maxed out.

On the other hand, LeAmp2 is a lot of amplifier for little money.

Do you feel the Kandy is not powerful enough?

BumEggs

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2003, 09:35 am »
Pertinent questions!
I wish i had easy answers. The amp IS certainly powrful enough. (100w)
I live in London, a flat, so I can't blast out music. THe amp if anything sounds at it's finest with the volume at least half way up - too loud.

I suppose I am being afflicted with hifi boredom. I've been so impressed with the Norh 5.1's, I suppose I'm after an excuse to hear their other
gear.
You make me think that I should look to spend elsewhere on my system though...

My deck is:

It has a home-built MDF armboard for a Rega RB250, rewired by me with
winding wire (I know! But it's better than it was.) It has a Dynavector DXII, I think it's called? It's the red, high output moving coil cart.
All of these are temporary solutions and I mean to raise questions about it on the vinyl forum.
It now has binding posts for interconnects (attached to the winding wire.)as opposed to the original cables.

You might be right in my concentrating lower in the chain?
I've not yet replace the built in phono amp for another to hear the difference

sceptic

Wet and windy Friday
« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2003, 11:12 am »
Small world! How much extra did you get stung for importing the 5.1s?

Do you really mean binding posts, not phono sockets?
One of the benefits of rewiring an arm is to eliminate joins.
Arm cables are always co-axial screened to resist interference.

It seems like you are being forced down the road of quality rather than quantity; no bad thing.

The obvious step is to investigate top-flight turntables.

The fun nOrh purchase would be the SE18.

BumEggs

Re: Wet and windy Friday
« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2003, 11:47 am »
Quote from: sceptic
Small world! How much extra did you get stung for importing the 5.1s?

Do you really mean binding posts, not phono sockets?
One of the benefits of rewiring an arm is to eliminate joins.
Arm cables are always co-axial screened to resist interference.

It seems like you are being forced down the road of quality rather than quantity; no bad thing.

The obvious step is to investigate top-flight turntables.

The fun nOrh purchase would be the SE18.

Import Duty: I was lucky - nothing.

I do mean the binding posts. The interference is worse, but only marginally.
The clarity makes up for that, even if the wire is a little thick.
I am waiting and researching what wire to rewire with. I'm also considering a different arm; I've heard snobbery against the RB250/Floating Thorens combinations.
Maybe even a new deck, I like tinkering though!
I have seen your Roksan table on ebay a few times - and considered it...

My experience of these tables is limited though, and confused by the hugely conflicting online commentary.

I wrote to MBarnes concerning the SE18, I reckon it's a great buy - but how is it's phono stage?