What's the best sub $1,000 transport? New or used. . .

Hantra

All:

Now that I have sold a lot of my older gear, and am going with the Nixon tubed DAC, I need a transport.  My CD-48 isn't going to cut it.  

What's good for under $1,000?  I don't care if it's $200. . I just can't spend OVER $1,000, but I am not saying I want to spend $1,000. . hehehe

Anyone heard the Audio Note CDT Zero transports?

Thx!

B

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2003, 01:01 am »
I think I would try to get something like a Marantz SA8260 (I think that's it..not the 8300)

It is supposed to be well built with a nicer tray than the Philips SACD 1000.

It has an RCA digital out for your DAC and it has MC SACD should you desire that.  In addition it has DVD (not DVD-A) capabilities so you can play the DVD track of any DVD-A's.

I'm currently thinking about that one or a Pioneer 47ai.

see www.tweakaudio.com

http://www.tweakaudio.com/Pioneer%2045A-47Ai.html

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/pupgrades/marantzsa8260.html

Jay S

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2003, 01:15 am »
You can also consider putting in a new clock in a good transport to take it to the next level.  There are lots of clocks to choose from (e.g. LClock, Trichord, etc).  This could be a very cost effective way to get great performance.  

A new product that I find intriguing is Trichords digital output board, which adds its own ouput buffer and connections to a Trichord clock, and may be an even better upgrade than just a clock for a dedicated transport (or for converting a stand alone player to a dedicated transport).  

http://www.trichordresearch.com/dob.html

Like Marbles, I am quite interested in getting one of the new generation universal players.  The initial feedback on the Pioneer DV47Ai and the Yamaha SD-2300 are that the sound quality for redbook is very good.  It means a lot to me that Ric Shultz/EVS has such positive things to say about the Pioneer's transport.  

While I think my Cary 303/100 is a great transport (and has some sonic strengths of its own when used in stand alone mode), I hope to be able to replace it and my Tosh DVD player with an excellent universal player that can do justice to my smART DI/O (now upgraded to a prototype MENSA) AND give me excellent SACD/DVD-A playback (which the new Pio and Yammie are said to do an excellent job of).  I am willing to mod the universal player (could be through a modder like Ric, through a new clock OR BOTH!).  

I'd take upgraded clocks and the newly released universal players into account when making your decision.  I personally would not want to buy a dedicated redbook transport unless the performance were clearly better.  While you can't demo a new clock/digital output board, maybe you can demo a stock Pioneer or Yamaha and see if it has the performance you need stock, or if it seems to have the potential to reach that level with a clock upgrade.

thetruth

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2003, 06:48 am »

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2003, 03:12 pm »
Truth, first if Wayne is right on who you are (formerly known as ThomasW) I would like to say welcome.

Second, is that Hawk transport a mod of another unit, much lika an AH! is a mod of Marantz?

Third, does it have a built in DAC?

What is the price?

EDIT: OK, I found some info here:  http://www.audio.nl/cd753eng.html

JackStraw

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2003, 03:47 pm »
Also it's ugly, lacks snob factor, and flashes like the Griswald family Xmas tree, I am happy with my Aiwa changer as a transport. From what I have read at audioasylum, others have been quite impressed too. They can be a bit tricky to find these days, but I've seen them on Audiogon off and on.

Lastly, from what I understand Stan Warren's Aiwa mods are similar in result to just using a nice digital cable. Most of his magic is in the MSB and the outboard MSB power supply.

Hantra

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2003, 04:05 pm »
Is there a better transport in the $850 range than the 47 Labs Shagaraki?

I'd lke to get a sweet one and build my own cool chassis for lightening quick resonance drainage, but I don't have the expertise to do the electronics part.  So, I am looking hard at that Shagaraki, but I am also considering that McCormack Digital Drive on Audiogon.  I love the McCormack amps!

B

Kishore

Another Option is
« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2003, 08:05 pm »
I'd go for Vecteur D 2 (new ~1000ish)...I have heard Vecteur L4 and should buy it soon.

Check it out at mutine (.com) and you can buy from Venus Hifi or True Sound.

Cheers,
Kishore

Brad

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2003, 08:21 pm »
Hey Kishore - welcome!

Good to see another familiar face  8)

Jay S

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2003, 01:28 am »
Welcome, Kishore. I hope you're settling in well in the Bay Area.  I had a great time when I lived there from '98-'00.

audioengr

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jan 2003, 02:36 am »
Have you listened to a Sony DVP-7700 or a Sony DVP-S9000ES?  These are both excellent transports and lots of them on the used market.  I've had customers replace megabuck Wadia players with these they are so good.  The Stereophile review of the 7700 said that it was rivaled only by a ML top of line transport and I can attest to that - I  use it for a transport in my reference system.

Hantra

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jan 2003, 03:15 am »
Thanks for the advice!  How much better is the 9000 than the 7700?

It is really pretty, but. . you know. . haha

B

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jan 2003, 02:50 pm »
<<Have you listened to a Sony DVP-7700 or a Sony DVP-S9000ES? These are both excellent transports and lots of them on the used market. I've had customers replace megabuck Wadia players with these they are so good. The Stereophile review of the 7700 said that it was rivaled only by a ML top of line transport and I can attest to that - I use it for a transport in my reference system.>>
=====
I can concur with that...I bought a used Sony DVP-S7700 transport about 11 months ago and couldn't be happier.  This particular one was modified by MSB Technology with 192K outputs and it is nicely matched to a Gold Link III with Power Base.  I studiously damped the machine inside (including the tray) and out with damping sheets from Parts Express.

It is far better than the majority of my other downstrem components - to the point where I no longer require a tube component in the chain to happily listen to music.  All SS sounds good now with all the advantages of full dynamics without the ear splitting.

I paid $600.00 (MSB modified), but I think you can find basic 7700 for a bit over $300 or so these days on A-gon.  Also, still makes a decent DVD, but stock sound is bested by many newer budget models and picture is, as well.  But, it still works and is built like a tank in any way you want to use them.

Hantra

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jan 2003, 04:05 pm »
Do the 7700's play CD'R's?

B

TheChairGuy

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jan 2003, 10:00 pm »
Just looked at owners manual...sorry fella', only DVD video and CD's.  Anciant circa 1998 ya' know... :mrgreen:

Heard good things about Pioneer players...I know both Dan/Modwright and Stan Warren prefer them as the basis for their magic potions.

I can vouch for the (new) DVD-656A if you want a good DVD, too.  Great picture, CD is disappointing, but it's prob. the converter,not the platter/transport.  Cost $200.00 and plays CD-R's and DVD-Audio, too.

Haven't hooked it up thru the digital output to the DAC to know for sure tho (they are in diff. systems in diff. rooms here)

Hantra

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jan 2003, 12:47 am »
Holy Cow!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone who recommended that Sony 7700.  I picked one up from a guy that lives near me, and it is absolutely stunning!  It smacked down the Audio Analogue I had, which murdered my Marantz.

Thanks again!!

My goodness!  The detail retrieval is amazing!!  Not harsh, tight, man. . this is a killer transport!

B

TheChairGuy

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jan 2003, 03:52 pm »
Good going Hantra!  Isn't it built like a tank, too?  Beautiful copper overkill inside, too.

I put mine on 'tacky' isolation puds (I buy from LAT International) and I took an hour a while back and judiciously damped the tray and various parts of the inside of the machine with some damping sheets I bought from Parts Express.  Heard decent gains from these cheapo tweeks, too.

Enjoy it!

Hantra

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jan 2003, 04:47 pm »
Yo Guy. . .

What DAC are you using?

I expected like a nice change from a better transport, but this thing transported me to another level!  It just digs so deep, and . . it's hard to explain.  I would not have believed what I am saying had I not heard it.  

I feel like I finally have a world class digital front-end.  Now, all I need is a fatty digital cable.  How good is the D-60 from Kimber?

B

jcoat007

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jan 2003, 06:39 pm »
Before buying the Kimber you might want to ask Tyson about it.  I think he had it in his system and has since gone to a Bolder Digital w/ Eichmann Bullets Plugs.  

I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading that.

bubba966

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jan 2003, 06:52 pm »
Quote from: jcoat007
Before buying the Kimber you might want to ask Tyson about it.  I think he had it in his system and has since gone to a Bolder Digital w/ Eichmann Bullets Plugs.  

I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading that.

That's exactly what Tyson did. He dumped his D60 in favor of a Bolder with copper Eichmann's and no Cryo treatment.

Go one better & have Wayne build you one with Silver Eichmann's & a Cryo treatment done at Kimber. I've had Wayne build me 3 digitals like that so far. They're awesome and don't really cost that much, and the full Silver/Cryo job will cost you less than a D60.