Squeezebox FAQ

jakepunk

Squeezebox FAQ
« on: 13 Dec 2005, 07:14 am »
I have written a Squeezebox FAQ for this forum.

I tried to take as many posts as possible and incorporate them into one place.  Please take a look at it and give me some constructive feedback in this thread.  Once it is polished up, Echidna can make a sticky post.

edited URL to single view instead of split view

Nick B

Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2005, 07:59 am »
Hey JP   I've spent a lot of time viewing the previous posts and trying to understand the SB3/pc/wireless setup. It was all completely new to me until a few weeks ago. Your FAQ manual is very well written and very, very much appreciated. I'll reread it tomorrow and offer suggestions if I can think of any.

jermmd

Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2005, 02:11 pm »
Thanks Jakepunk. I've bookmarked the page.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2005, 02:18 pm »
Thanks Jake,

It's just what I needed.  I will read it tonight.

jakepunk

Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2005, 02:45 pm »
What are your feelings on the single HTML versus split HTML?  The default view is split, but that might be harder to read since you have to navigate and click around to find stuff.  My personal opinion is that the single view is easier to use since you can see everything on one page and search it easily.  Both views are present; it's just a matter of which one you bookmark.

mcgsxr

Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2005, 02:55 pm »
Decent piece of work jakepunk, thanks for the tips.

BTW, I am using a WRT54G, version 5, and am not finding any real issues, since swapping out to channel 11, and using a WRE54G range expander in my house.

Nick B

Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2005, 06:10 pm »
The single view is much easier.

EchiDna

Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2005, 01:03 am »
Jakepunk, it's now sticky...
love ya work  :D

if/when we get local hosting for this kind of thing, are you fine to transfer it across?

Guys, can we limit posts in this thread to feedback on the FAQ and nothing else here please.

EchiDna

Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2005, 06:50 am »
nick, I'll split your questions off into a new thread for you....

Nick B

Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2005, 08:25 am »
Thanks, EchiDna      I'm still learning all this "threadiquette" for lack of a better word. Mea culpa....

Captain Humble

Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2005, 12:56 pm »
I have written a Squeezebox FAQ for this forum.
Thanks jakepunk.
Great job.

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2006, 09:30 pm »
I find the SB FAQ very helpful.  The tip on using static IP addresses instead of DHP server alone has helped me solve not only problems with SB devices but also my wireless access from a laptop, which had been in trouble with connection since I added a Linksys Access Point.  Now that I assigned each device a static IP address (2 SBs, one laptop plus a wire desktop), the wireless performance has become much better.

Thanks for a very good work.

ctviggen

Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2006, 09:40 pm »
Yes, thank you.  I know finally know where to get the old versions of slimserver.

JoshK

Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2006, 03:23 pm »
Well I finally joined the rank and file of the Squeeze-o-philes last night.  I had purchased a SB2 many months ago but finally got it playing last night.  I hadn't had time to set it up and rip some music until just recently, so it had just been sitting there.

I am generally moderately savvy with computers (although no linux wiz) but I find networking to be a little bit of a PITA.  I have set up routers and networks before but never without a lot of fiddling, swearing and some confusion.  

I think I personally found the most difficult part of setting up the SB2 was trying to find my IP, gateway, player IP and submask settings.  After spending much time fruitlessly searching through menus in the network area of XP trying to find these settings, it dawned on me to put in my Linksys router setup disc.  With the disc inserted, I pulled up the pdf manual for the router and found instructions on how to bring up the web interface that had most of the settings listed (although missing one, which I just guessed at).  It obviously didn't give me the player IP, so I just made one up and it worked.  

Maybe in the FAQs about networking where you say to put in a static IP, you might want to mention that the router's manual usually has the IP & submask settings.  I don't recall how I figured out the gateway setting.  And is there any rule or suggestion on how to pick a player IP?

miklorsmith

Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2006, 05:59 pm »
I'm a new Squeezeboxer.  This FAQ saved my bacon!  I was about ready to throw the thing out the window or give it to my drooling children and then I found this article.  

The static IP address tip is huge.  At least it gives you a step-by-step path through the variables, how to find them, and how to set them for each piece.

Kudos!

econ

Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2006, 10:12 am »
link to sqeezebox faq not working in last 2 days

jakepunk

Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2006, 04:29 am »
I am having problems with my ISP.  Please use google's cache by clicking on the "Cached" link until I get it resolved.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Squeezebox FAQ
« Reply #17 on: 28 Dec 2007, 08:35 pm »
Jake, I've found a broken link in the section about FLAC tutorials:

http://users.pandora.be/satcp/

Apparently, the guy just gave up and closed the site.
He was kind enough to post a 'going away speech' for us though.

Also the link to the Buffalo Terra server (to Amazon IIRC) shows the item is no longer available.

Otherwise, a very good FAQ/info page Jake. Thank you very much for doing that.

Bob

slwiser

« Reply #18 on: 28 Dec 2007, 09:12 pm »
For myself I just print it out to either a mdi or pdf format and carry it around on my geek-stick so that I can have it ready.  I do a lot of reference material this way.

kyrill

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jun 2008, 09:28 am »
x
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2008, 09:57 am by kyrill »