FF3 SRE Towers are on the way, how much greif am I in for?

thinkINstereo

Hello all....new member here,

I just purchased this model with the Active Crossover and am a bit nervous of all the tweeks to the speakers once in my room.
 Hoping to make some new audiobuds and learn as I go. How long of a process is all the tuning on average take? Maybe it sounds like a stupid question but just wanted to know how long is normal and how much hair I will pull out along the way, my current speakers are Innersound Eros wich can be a little room fussy but I bet the VMPS will be alot more challenging to dial in. Well thanks for letting me into this confessional, I feel beter now that I exposed my fears HA!

warnerwh

« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2005, 03:57 am »
Welcome Chad.  The only grief you'll know is why you waited so long to try some VMPS speakers.  Don't make it worse in your head than it really is with the adjustments. Tweaking them is only a bit more complex than most speakers due to the fact Brian gives you some extra rope to hang yourself with.  

I'd put all of the putty back in and take out about a large BB out of each.  Also start with both the mid and treble pots at the recommended starting point which should be on a piece of paper on the back of the speakers. If not email Brian and he'll know.

Then I'd go ahead and try the speakers in various positions. Being as speaker position has a huge affect and is free this should be done first.  After you're done getting the position you think is best then start with the putty.  Give me a call and I'll walk you through it.  Yes I got tired of typing. :lol:

ScottMayo

Re: FF3 SRE Towers are on the way, how much greif am I in fo
« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2005, 04:14 am »
Brian tunes before he ships. You'll have to make small adjustments, if any, and it's not very demanding. The biggest deal is getting them positioned; part of that depends on your room.

You can safely expect to be wow'd. You may want to treat your room if you haven't; taming reflections in a room allows speakers that image well to shine, and VMPS does the best imaging I've heard. Congrats on some world class speakers.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2005, 04:18 pm »
Ummmmmmmmm, where do you start?  You want to get a baseline for the passive tuning.  You must talk to Brian about the original PR mass, but honestly, I don't think he keeps written records of the mass preloading on the prs.  then there is the problem of comparing the current pr appearances vs. whatevr mass brian says they should have.  you might want to consider just buying new pr's if b offers them.  This subject of the pr mass is probably the single most important item because if you don't have a baseline you will be shoooting in the dark literally forever.  I'd would say if you don't get an accurate pr mass baseline, each & every other parameter will have no baseline & hence no foundation.  in other words: do not waste time listening to them or tuning them till you have the pr mass totally sorted, at least for a baseline.  Then, as I used to offer in my personal instructions, label each speaker A & B, or blue/red, (don't use L/R because, though your speakers are normally dedicated L/R, they could theoretically be reversed if placed very close together).  Get 2 envelopes & label them to match each speaker.  As you remove mass, place it in the matching envelope.  That way you can easily return to the baseline by replacing the mass on the pr from whence it was removed.

Also, make sure you ask b about how tightly the fiberglass was loaded at the plant, & compare to your speakers.  It is possible some might have been removed at some time & you may need to restuf or redistribute.  

My personal opinion is that the RM40, with the neo ribbons, is better (above the bass range) than the FF3 SRE active w/the single B-G ribbon mid (I owned both spkrs for over a year).  Don't take that the wrong way, but rather as a recommendation to consider upgrading your old B-G single ribbon to the 6x neo ribbons.  The difference is simply earth shaking.  I've heard that speaker, & it is simply an entirely different beast from the single B-G ribbon model.

One last thing: if you upgrade the mids, & somehow replaced the 3x spirals with the HET, you would have a midrange/treble ribbon array with a sensitivity of about 94 dB, with very high output levels from as little as 25W (think tubes).  Just be careful: all tube amps, according to a source who builds some of the best tube transformers for a living, must be fed a load for all signals at the input.  Meaning don't feed a fullrange signal to a tube amp at the input, then omit presenting it a bass range load, relying on the midrange's passive high pass filter.  That is a no-no.

miklorsmith

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2005, 04:29 pm »
I love this hobby - stuff hasn't even showed up yet and the upgrade bug is planted.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
FF3
« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2005, 04:52 pm »
Where did you buy the speakers?  They have been out of production for three years.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2005, 05:12 pm »
In reply to the upgrade post, I apologize, I should have kept my mouth shut.  It was/is hard, though, because I've owned that speaker & the RM40 & heard the FF3 neo.  

OTOH, the only reason the FF3 SRE came to exist was because B desired to upgrade its very very high quality predecessor (for its time), the FF3 Dynaribbons.