what happened to Adire?

chris3377

what happened to Adire?
« on: 8 Dec 2005, 09:11 am »
I know this may seem like treason asking this here, but what happened to Adire? After I got my AV3's and sub built I wanted to experiment with making really small speakers for my computer room. But they are no longer on these forums. Anyone know?

MaxCast

what happened to Adire?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2005, 11:23 am »
They used to have a circle here.  It has been moved to the archives.
Perhaps you should check out Danny's small speakers.  See his thread about his giant killer tweeter.

fredgarvin

what happened to Adire?
« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2005, 12:48 pm »

kfr01

Adire
« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2005, 12:51 pm »
Adire still makes great drivers, but because of their unfortunate overlap with car audio, their official forum is at

http://forum.soundillusions.net/forumdisplay.php?f=48

You won't find too much there, normally.  Once in a while someone will get their ceo into a good technical discussion; and they do have some information about their upcoming product line there.

For kits and drivers based on Adire technology, see DIY Cable's circle here or http://www.diycable.com/

Most of the time, the threads go something like this, "what will bump harder, 2 15" drivers or 3 12" drivers?"   :?  :roll:

Danny Richie

what happened to Adire?
« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2005, 08:19 pm »
They have found their niche and are moving more towards focusing on what they do best.

The have moved away from offering kits, finished products, or direct interactions with the consumer.

IronForge

what happened to Adire?
« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2005, 08:46 pm »
Quote from: Danny
They have found their niche and are moving more towards focusing on what they do best.

The have moved away from offering kits, finished products, or direct interactions with the consumer.

That is sort of a bummer for us because they did provide some nice products at decent prices.

DeanSheen

what happened to Adire?
« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2005, 06:53 pm »
Quote from: IronForge
Quote from: Danny

That is sort of a bummer for us because they did provide some nice products at decent prices.

Yeah, the RAVA 2 doubled in price.  The original RAVA subs were great values.

ooheadsoo

what happened to Adire?
« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2005, 07:01 pm »
I think they're throwing in their $450 ada sub amp, which certainly puts the price up a bit.

Watson

what happened to Adire?
« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2005, 07:35 pm »
Have they really found their niche?  They haven't been selling anything in their main business (subwoofers) for at least nine months -- production stopped on their subs in February for the move to the Chilean factory and shipments only resumed on a handful of products last month.  Hard to judge whether they'll be successful.  Their products used to represent a good value, but prices have gone up relative to their competitors.  They still have the "Adire mystique", particularly in the car audio arena, but even that's been beaten up by not shipping subs for nine months.

jackman

what happened to Adire?
« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2005, 10:15 pm »
Quote from: Watson
Have they really found their niche?  They haven't been selling anything in their main business (subwoofers) for at least nine months -- production stopped on their subs in February for the move to the Chilean factory and shipments only resumed on a handful of products last month.  Hard to judge whether they'll be successful.  Their products used to represent a good value, but prices have gone up relative to their competitors.  They still have the "Adire mystique", particularly in the car audio arena, but even that's been beaten up by not shipping subs for nine months.

Where was their old factory?

Watson

what happened to Adire?
« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2005, 05:53 am »
Quote from: jackman

They used to be made in the USA.

jackman

what happened to Adire?
« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2005, 05:17 pm »
Quote from: Watson
Quote from: jackman

They used to be made in the USA.

This is a sad but all too common development.  Sad. :(

maxwalrath

what happened to Adire?
« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2005, 05:19 pm »
with free trade, luckily our farmers can somehow undercut competition in the third world. you win some, you lose some.

Cacophonix

what happened to Adire?
« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2005, 05:50 pm »
Quote from: maxwalrath
with free trade, luckily our farmers can somehow undercut competition in the third world. you win some, you lose some.

somehow = massive farm subsidies.

Check out the ruckus at any WTO meeting. If europe and US phase out subsidies, as demanded by the third world countries, the farming industry will follow the footsteps of auto and service sectors.

maxwalrath

what happened to Adire?
« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2005, 05:56 pm »
yeah...I'm aware. I should have added this emoticon after the word "somehow" :roll: , I was definitely going for sarcasm.

jackman

what happened to Adire?
« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2005, 06:27 pm »
Quote from: maxwalrath

Have you taken a look at the record trade deficit lately?  I am all for free trade but it doesn't appear other countries are playing by the same rules.  I'm sure Adire made the change because Costa Rica produces better drivers...not just cheaper.   :lol:

maxwalrath

what happened to Adire?
« Reply #16 on: 18 Dec 2005, 06:28 pm »
jackman I don't think it is just the other countries breaking the rules.