testament to personalized customer service

texendo

testament to personalized customer service
« on: 8 Dec 2005, 04:59 am »
Recently I've had to "downgrade" (read: liquidate) my rather modest rig due to smaller living arrangements and returning to school (read: broke).  Having learned first hand the imperativeness of clean power supply, Vinnie's battery approach intrigued me.  As a means to simplify things, I also took this opportunity to dabble in the realm of PC audio by using my iMac as a transort.  With my previous rig, I was a rather obsessive tweaker, doing things like removing all the binding posts and LEDs, upgrading power outlets, random damping, etc.  I had a pretty clean signal path, and my stereo was the best I'd personally ever heard.

I talked on the phone with Vinnie more than once to discuss my "proposal" (his words, not mine).  I had a few half-witted ideas of what I wanted, basically a tweaked-out clari-T (all the upgraded caps, no LEDs, no binding posts), plus I wanted some sort of USB dac wired into the box as well so that I could have a small, one-box operation (with an upgraded USB cable hard-wired in, of course).  As opposed to doing what I originally suggested, he formulated an even better, novel approach that incorporated all of my needs for what ended up being about HALF the price of what I had origininally intended.  I think it goes without saying that this sort of personalized customer service is largely (completely?) unheard of, even (especially?) when dealing with high-end "lux" products and services.  Not only that, but he delivered his product almost a week before promised!  I don't know how many of you have dealt with tweakers before, but this, my friends, is definitely a first!  He even showed the patience to promptly respond to my neurotic e-mails while I was waiting on the finished product.  DAMN, he's good.

So now I essentially have what was at one time a Griffin Powerwave (a discontinued product utilizing the Tripath chip of the Clari-T with a USB input and DAC all on the same board) all battery powered (even the power line from the USB is disabled) with the Black Gates and Auricaps.  There are no LEDs, the lead wires attach directly to the speaker cables, and he hard-wired a MonsterCable USB (6ft) into the unit.  No other volume control or anything, just a black box.  So, not only are there no power cords, there are essentially no interconnects either!

My iMac G4 (powered via a VH Audio Flavor 4 and gold Furutech receptacle) sends AppleLossless files to the unit.  Speakers are Omega Super 3's v.2 (Louis is another great guy to do business with) with Mapleshade Golden Helix speaker cables (THE most transparent) hard-wired directly to the drivers (no binding posts).  Everything is mounted/isolated using Mapleshade products (very fanatical about their products as well).

Compared to my last big solid state rig that cost about five times as much, the soundstage was surprisingly comparable (possibly not quite as voluminous, hard to remember exactly).  The new system, however, had a sense of depth which I hadn't before heard.  Vocals sound scary realistic.  Bass is far more potent than I would have expected (house party serviceable), although it doesn't have the ability to physically displace you from the room like the big-rig did.  There's more volume available than I utilize.  Detail retrieval, as has been said repeatedly, is unlike what I've ever heard.  What's without a doubt the most remarkable, however, is how freaking musically smooth and non-fatiguing this system is (and I thought I had that before).  Although this rig "MAY" not sound quite as hifi/audiophile-ish (this is very debateable), the sound is now much more enjoyable to listen to and "prettier" to my ears.  

All this from a $100 over-the-counter product with some well thought out re-working.  It's people like that make this hobby so much fun.  Thank you, Vinnie.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: testament to personalized customer service
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2005, 03:11 pm »
Quote from: texendo
Compared to my last big solid state rig that cost about five times as much, the soundstage was surprisingly comparable (possibly not quite as voluminous, hard to remember exactly). The new system, however, had a sense of depth which I hadn't before heard. Vocals sound scary realistic. Bass is far more potent than I would have expected (house party serviceable), although it doesn't have the ability to physically displace you from the room like the big-rig did. There's more volume available than I utilize. Detail retrieval, as has been said repeatedly, is unlike what I've ever heard. What's without a doubt the most remarkable, however, is how freaking musically smooth and non-fatiguing this system is (and I thought I had that before). Although this rig "MAY" not sound quite as hifi/audiophile-ish (this is very debateable), the sound is now much more enjoyable to listen to and "prettier" to my ears.

Hi Texendo,

Welcome to Audiocircle, and thanks for posting.  Glad you are enjoying your custom Red Wine Amp with the new Omega Super 3 V2s.  As you know, I am also a very proud owner of a Clari-T + Super 3 V2 combo and have to agree:

Muscially smooth, non-fatiguing, scary realistic vocals, awesome detail retrieval....oh yes!

I'll also add: super fast transient speed, tight and articulate bass (that does reach into the 50Hz range in-room), pin-point imaging, and clarity!  

Nice!  :mrgreen:

Hope to see more posts from you, and thanks for joining!