2 channel SACDs?

brj

2 channel SACDs?
« on: 8 Dec 2005, 03:39 am »
Do any studios release 2 channel SACDs?

I followed a link elsewhere on this site that listed some interesting hybrid SACDs, but, like all SACDs that I know of, it appears that the SACD layer contains a multi-channel recording.  The SACD format provides the space needed to store multiple channels even when using the higher resolution DSD stream, but I was wondering if anyone was using the higher resolution while also limiting themselves to 2 channel reproductions.  I believe that the SACD specification allows this as well, but I've never seen it used.  It would be great to stay with a 2 channel setup, but benefit from a higher resolution format...

I guess the same question applies to DVD-A as well, but I was thinking about SACDs when I started the post! :)

warnerwh

2 channel SACDs?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2005, 04:34 am »
I don't know if all SACD's have a 2 channel layer but all the ones I had did. SACD is not only for multi channel music.

brj

2 channel SACDs?
« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2005, 04:43 am »
Quote from: warnerwh
I don't know if all SACD's have a 2 channel layer but all the ones I had did. SACD is not only for multi channel music.

Yes, but as far as I've seen, the second 2 channel layer is standard Redbook CD, and not a high res format.  Have you seen otherwise?

warnerwh

2 channel SACDs?
« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2005, 04:50 am »
I recently had a Marantz SA 8260. When I pushed the SACD Stereo button the SACD would play in stereo with all of my SACD's. This player defaults to multi channel SACD and will sound weird if multi channel is selected. The player displays what layer it is playing: SACD Multi, SACD Stereo or just CD Stereo. You could also play the stereo redbook part of the cd by hitting that button.  I only had about 10 SACD's but had no problem with any of them. Also I just looked and on my Mobile Fidelity SACD of Patricial Barber it only says stereo. On a Diana Krall it lists all three. Hope this helps.

brj

2 channel SACDs?
« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2005, 05:06 am »
Thanks, Warner - it does!  I guess I don't know just how common hi-res 2 channel layers are on SACD or DVD-A.  Since I'm leaning toward computer audio as a source, it eliminates the hi-res option for me at the moment (until the DRM issues get resolved), so I was curious as to how much I'd be giving up.

Thanks again!

soundboy

• My simple Yahoo 360 webpage
2 channel SACDs?
« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2005, 08:32 am »
All SACDs are 2 channel stereo.

The official SACD specs require[/i] a dedicated 2 channel stereo mix.  The hybrid CD layer and the multi-channel surround mix are totally optional.  Early SACD titles such as Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue", Dave Brubeck's "Time Out", Michael Jackson's "Thriller", etc. are all single-layer 2 channel stereo SACDs.  There are a few SACDs out there with no 2 channel stereo mix, but I believe you can count those on the fingers of one hand.

In fact, if you look, the top-of-the-line SACD players from Denon, Sony, and Marantz are 2 channel stereo only.

BTW, total worldwide SACD titles releases approaching 3,500 titles.

Khorn

2 channel SACDs?
« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2005, 12:06 pm »
I second what soundboy said.

My SACD player is two channel only, I don't have a multi channel set up. I bought into SACD for the high resolution 2 channel track only and yes,  IMHO the improvement is more than worth it on a well mastered disc. IMHO high resolution 2 channel SACD has sonic attributes not contained on Red Book recordings.

Dan Driscoll

2 channel SACDs?
« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2005, 07:23 pm »
Quote from: brj
Thanks, Warner - it does!  I guess I don't know just how common hi-res 2 channel layers are on SACD or DVD-A.

Soundboy and Khorn already said it, but I'll repeat, virtually all SACD's have a hi-rez stereo track. The specification for SACD requires that there be a hi-rez stereo track, while multi-channel is optional.

Hybrid SACD's have a hi-rez 2 channel track, plus a standard 16 bit/44.1 KHz redbook CD track. They may also have a multi-channel track.

The specification for DVD-Audio is multi-channel, but many DVD-Audio disks also have a hi-rez stereo track. The stereo track may be 24 bit/48 KHz or 24/96.