need help re SB3 and pc

Nick B

need help re SB3 and pc
« on: 7 Dec 2005, 12:22 am »
Recently, I requested opinions about getting a new CD player and got some responses suggesting using the SB3 setup. I've read a lot about that and decided that is the way to go. However, the costs associated with doing that are adding up. So rather than get separate harddrives like the Mac mini, I thought I'd add a new harddrive and backup to my existing Windows XP pc and dedicate those only for music. That way I could use the existing monitor and keyboard and cpu to do all the software and interact with the SB3 I plan on buying. I already have a Linksys
Wireless G router. I also have 1 CD drive and 2 DVD drives. So my questions are:
1) Can I add 2 additional harddrives and just use them for music only?
2) Do I need to add a bigger power supply for my pc?
3) Can I (or do I need to) control the various harddrives separately via a power switch of some sort?
4) If so, can the mouse/keyboard then control those music only harddrives?
I plan to use EAC and FLAC and keep those on the music harddrives. Will probably have the SB3 modded by Boulder and get the basic powersupply. I'm a basic pc guy and need some advice before I buy the gear. The computer shop and Best Buy were not helpful when I tried to explain this. Any comments and additional suggestions are appreciated.

jakepunk

need help re SB3 and pc
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2005, 06:44 am »
1) yes.
2) probably not.  hard disks don't draw much wattage.  if your PS has 12V plugs available, then it can handle it.  however, you need to make sure you have adequate cooling since two additional drives will raise your case temperature.
3) no and no.   they're always on (unless you tell your OS to spin them down when not in use).
4) n/a

Nick B

need help re SB3 and pc
« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2005, 06:54 am »
jakepunk     how do I tell the OS to "spin down" the primary and backup music harddrives?

jakepunk

need help re SB3 and pc
« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2005, 07:03 am »
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Power options

Nick B

need help re SB3 and pc
« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2005, 07:21 am »
thanks jakepunk       very helpful..i should be able to monitor heat etc via the
sisandra software that a tech installed on my pc

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
Check out my music server blog for tips
« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2005, 07:59 am »
Nick, getting into a music server system is pretty complex, even when you know a lot about PC's. That's why I started a blog that walks through the various options in a manner that a non-tech can understand, but even techs can appreciate. The link is at the end of this email.

Why so complex?
1. You have to decide on the OS (operating system), then pick a PC.
2. You have to choose how to get the digital signal out of the PC to your system
3. Storage and back up issues
4. what to use as your player software
5. What formats to rip

And that is before you get into the audiophile issues.  Here's my answer to your questions:

1) Can I add 2 additional harddrives and just use them for music only?
YES. I would recommend you consider external drives, which have their own power supply, and are easily portable. Firewire and USB 2.0 drives are reasonably priced, and you can easily use them with laptops or other PC's.

2) Do I need to add a bigger power supply for my pc?
MAYBE. No if you buy external drives, which have their own power supplies built in, maybe if you buy internal drives, which may require additional connectors and may tax your existing power supply.

3) Can I (or do I need to) control the various harddrives separately via a power switch of some sort?
External drives have a power switch on their case, which enables you to turn them off when not in use. Internal drives are powered by your PC's power supply, and boot up when you fire up your pc. You access them when you rip your music to the drives, or when you play the music contained on the drives.

4) If so, can the mouse/keyboard then control those music only harddrives?
NOT APPLICABLE. Your main hard drive will contain your operating system, which communicates with your mouse/keyboard.  Your extra music drives simply hold music files, that's all.

For someone with an existing computer that is looking to add music server capabilities, you need only buy additional drives to hold the music and for backup, but use your existing computer and existing hard drives to store the playback and ripping software (and the Slim Server software you need for the SZB3).

http://musicserver.blogspot.com

Nick B

need help re SB3 and pc
« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2005, 08:13 am »
davehg     Thanks for the response. I had previously read your blog, but obviously didn't understand it completely. So I have reread the materials a few more times. That's the disadvantage to trying to learn all this pc stuff later in life :( Based on your comments, I will likely go with one external hard drive. That will solve the problem of the power supply. I presume that I will need to connect my external, music only drive to the main pc via USB cable. So I'll look for an external drive, get the SB3 and worry about the rest later.

Dave G

need help re SB3 and pc
« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2005, 02:47 pm »
Nick B mentioned:  

the disadvantage to trying to learn all this pc stuff later in life  

Amen, Nick!

I will likely go with one external hard drive. That will solve the problem of the power supply. I presume that I will need to connect my external, music only drive to the main pc via USB cable. So I'll look for an external drive, get the SB3 and worry about the rest later.

Even though I'm pretty helpless around computers, I found it easy to hook up an external drive for my music.  Mine came with a USB cable (for all I know, they all do).  Once I'd connected it to the computer, the computer recognized the new drive and took it from there.  VERY easy.

Good luck.

Dave

jonwb

need help re SB3 and pc
« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2005, 02:57 pm »
FWIW, here's a pretty good deal on a 320GB external drive ($160 after rebate).

http://www.edealinfo.com/DDCateg/harddrives.shtml#20051207111

Good luck!