GAS Christmas Countdown

Scott F.

GAS Christmas Countdown
« on: 5 Dec 2005, 04:42 am »
Hiya Guys,

The days are growing shorter until our Christmas gathering. As you all know, the event will be this Saturday the 10th. We'll get things going about 2:00. You are welcome to show up earlier but expect to be put to work cleaning, rearranging or doing final tweaks to the systems :D

Looks as if this is going to be a pretty good sized event. At last count, I think there will be sometwhere between 20 and 25 people that will be here (including everybody bringing friends).

As I mentioned, we’ll have at least three systems plus my fledgling home theatre to play with. Some of the gear I expected to show up, didn't. Thats OK, we've still got plenty to sample. Here are the systems.

Fleapowered
AH! Tjeob, upsampled, tubed
Sony SACD 595
Opera LP-5 Turntable, Dynavector 507 arm, various carts
Slee Jazz Club phono stage
Highly modded Korato KVP 20, tubed pre and phonostage
Pioneer SF-750 active crossover
Welborne 300B DRD monoblocks driving the Lowthers
AKSA 55 driving the 15” Goodmans

Big Fun System
Arcam 8se CD player
Pioneer Universal player (SACD, DVD-A)
Audio Note TT-1 turntable
Highly modified Korato KVP-10 tubed pre
NHT active XO (guest gear borrowed from Tim)
Highly modded Radii GS-75’s running KT-88’s and driving Odyssey Epiphony’s
Spectro Acoustics SR-500 driving a pair of 12 Adire Shiva’s.

Mystery System (subject to change)
Lazarus tubed pre with phono stage
Odyssey Khartago SS Amp (guest gear)
ADC CD player
Dual 504 turntable (modified, it doesn't sound like a Dual anymore)
Aperion 633 floorstanders (guest gear)

Guest Gear (scheduled to arrive between now and then)
Stock Squeezebox, computer based music server interface
Red Wine modified Squeezebox, computer based music server interface
Bolder modified Squeezebox, computer based music server interface (two versions on hand)
?Dared VP300B with Shugang tubes? Brents 300B rig
Yamamoto 300B (Blackmore)
50 Convertable amp (Willie creation)

As for gear that you all could bring, the only thing I can think of is maybe Sturgus' modified CAL DAC. Honestly, the DAC's on the modified Squeezeboxes sound pretty darned good. A good tubed DAC will do what a tube DAC does but an average external DAC probably won't sound better than the modded onboard DACs.

As for food or drink to bring, this is what we'll have on hand (that way you can determine what else you may want). We'll have grilled burgers, salsizza (sp, Italian sausage), ribs, cheesey potato casserole (sp), chilie cheese dip, chips and salsa, veggie tray, and mixed fruit (grapes, strawberry's, and the like). I'll have Pepsi and Diet Caffine Free Pepsi on hand. I'll also have a limited amount of tastey spirits (light and dark) on hand but I won't have any beer (sorry, I don't normally drink it, Scotch and Burbon are my drinks of choice).

If it rains within four days of the gathering it is not safe to park on the grass in my front yard (ask Sturgus). I'd suggest parking up on the street and walking down. Just pull past my driveway and up the hill a ways (don't forget there will be guys parking behind you so pull up fairly far). Of course, if you are bringing something big or heavy, drive up, unload, then please park up on the street. I've got room for about 7 or 8 cars up near the house on the driveway, so if you want those, better show up early :D

I'll email all the new guys directions later this week (Wednesday probably). If you've been here before and need them again, drop me a line.

Thats all I can think of for now. If I think of anything else, I'll make another post.

electricbear

re-christmas get together
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2005, 04:41 pm »
I have all wheel drive so I won't suffer from the curse of the Sturgus. I'm fighting a kidney stone at the moment, hopefully it will have passed by Saturday. Man do they hurt, just ask Steve.

steve k

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2005, 05:50 pm »
A that they do! :o

Good luck with it, Tim!
steve k

jcrane

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2005, 07:29 pm »
Some say it is as close to giving birth that a guy will ever get.
 :D

Looking forward to a good time!

Jamie

Mike D

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2005, 08:10 pm »
"Like a little red stone in a big white bowl,

... this too, shall pass."

-Loa Tsu

electricbear

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2005, 11:38 pm »
I'm hoping to pass two. Then I can place them on the front inside corners of my Avalons to improve depth, clarity and soundstaging. Who needs Shatki stones when you can have Tins kidney stones. :lol:  :lol:

Scott F.

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2005, 02:03 am »
Tim,

Sure hope everything comes out OK (ouch!).

You gotta bring that Organ CD. These guys have to hear that thing!

Scott F.

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2005, 03:19 am »
Dudes.

I just got the uber DAC up and running again after giving it a heart transplant. I was lucky enough to I found a doner in the UK  :wink:

As I was re-kindling my relationship with thing when I popped in my best pair of tubes (I thought), my Seimens 7308's. Come to find out, one of them is noisey. You know just how irritating that can be. Right now I've got a pair of Rocket Logo'd Soviet tubes (6H30's?) in there which don't sound bad but they are just a tad hard sounding. I've got some Philips 6DJ8's but they aren't too swift sounding.

Has anybody has some cool 6DJ8's they would want to bring Saturday, that would be great. I'f not I should be able to swap the output tubes on the DRD's to compensate.

TIA!

steve k

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2005, 03:26 am »
Scott:
I'll pull the pair of Amperex gold pin PQ 6922's out of my Seduction. They're very extended on the top and bottom.
steve k

Scott F.

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2005, 01:38 am »
Steve, that would be very cool.

CAN I HAVE EVERYBODIES ATTENTION PLEASE

With the impending snow (tomorrow), you will probably be concerned with road conditions out here in the boonies. Generally speaking, Thornton Road (that big F'n hill you dirve up) is not travel friendly when there is snow. In turn, I've emailed everybody directions for the "Snow Route". Its pretty easy actually, it just takes you a few miles out of the way to avoid the big hill.

On Saturday, I'll venture out and see how the roads are leading to my place. Look for a post around 10am and I'll let you know if the big f'n hill his dry. Otherwise, I'd take the Snow Route just to be safe.

Seeya all on Saturday :D

sturgus

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2005, 02:04 am »
Sounds like a plan to me. Scott, I will bring the Alpha and some cable. Since this is a large meeting I was wondering if we should pony up our twenty dollars for dues?
Sturgus

jcrane

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2005, 02:27 am »
SNOW?
I need to watch the news more often :roll:
Guess I am glad I have AWD :D

:mrgreen:  :!:

If the weather is bad BILL and you guys decide you want to wait, you are more than welcome to ride with me. I will be leaving shortly after 3pm.
I know your plan is to be there earlier, but just so you know, the offer stands

Jamie

steve k

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2005, 03:32 am »
Oh good, we can build a snowman!! :o

Sturg, I was planning on collecting dues on Saturday since I was conveniently voted treasurer in my absence. :roll:

Also, I'll have sketches for 4-5 different GAS LOGOS for everyone to vote for their favorite one. Hopefully if we settle on a design, we can use some of our dues to do the setup to make some TEE shirts.

See you all Saturday.
steve k

DeadFish

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #13 on: 8 Dec 2005, 04:49 am »
Steve, be glad!
You were literally "a stone's throw" from being elected 'Emperor Plentipotentiary'  and all the duties that implied! ;-)
At least you get to play with the cash! :-D

Jamie, I hear ya!  We'll see how the 'stuff' flies.  
Appreciate the offer.

DF

jedi35

Hi all!!
« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2005, 06:39 am »
I haven't been here in awhile. I'd love to pop out after I'm done teaching on Sat. afternoon. I just finished playing for the show Wicked at the Fox Theater. It's time I got back into more serious audio, like my friend Tim reminded me the other day. This will be my first time meeting most of you. See ya there...

Adrian

Scott F.

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2005, 05:08 pm »
Adrian, it's great that you can make it this time :D

Guys, be sure to bring some of your favorite CDs and vinyl. I'm sure you'll want to hear your favs on the LP5. We can rip CDs to the hard drive so you can experience all the Squeezebox has to offer.

I'm going to venture out a little later today so I'll try to post something on the road conditions later this evening.

Sturg, I was planning on collecting dues on Saturday since I was conveniently voted treasurer in my absence.

See what happens when you miss a meeting  :lol:

Scott F.

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #16 on: 10 Dec 2005, 04:20 am »
Road Condition Update

We went out this evening and checked Thornton going both directions. The roads are clear.

I've spread ice melt on my driveway and the porch but they are both a bit slick still so BE CAREFUL walking. Hopefully the sun and warmer temps Saturday will melt the rest of it off.

Seeya tomorrow  :D

DeadFish

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #17 on: 10 Dec 2005, 02:00 pm »
Thanks for the update Scott.
Good to hear that Thornton is clear.
See ya later!

DF

jcrane

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2005, 03:42 pm »
See you there Bill! What time you leaving? I should be there around 430.
Trying to work is real hard when all I want to do is go have a good time.
I soo need to win the lottery so I can retire.
I got the Morphine CD too.

Jamie

DeadFish

GAS Christmas Countdown
« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2005, 04:14 pm »
Hey Jamie!
If Mike's schedule holds, we'll be pulling outa here some time after 'noonish'.
Glad yer bringin the Morphine, especially since I can't drink!  :wink:
 :lol:   Ah, the CD! Okay, that's great 'cause I wanna hear more of that.
(I'm bringing the couple of Blind Boys CDs I had to buy for my wife to give me for Christmas, since you got me pumped for them)

I've been champing at the bit since 6.  

'A splendid time is guaranteed by all!"

See ya there!

Regards,
DeadFish