Proposed crazy system

dc_guy

Proposed crazy system
« on: 4 Dec 2005, 07:01 am »
I dunno...tell me what you think:

Sources:
Electrcomapniet ECD-1 player (own)
RMA-modded Squeezebox (coming soon) fed to Ack Dack! 2.0 (own)

Preamp:
Channel Islands VPC2 (thinking of buying)

Amps:
Channel Islands D100 (thinking of buying)

Speakers:
Cliffhanger Bulldog (Full-range monitors with 86 db efficiency with a 6 ohm load -- NEED POWER  (thinking of buying from local dealer demo)

Would this combination work?!?  Would the D100s put out enough power for the Bulldogs??  Have you guys tried them with innefficient speakers?

Just some late night wonderings...

Thanks!!!

Bemopti123

Proposed crazy system
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2005, 12:33 pm »
If there is a satisfaction and return policy on the D100s,  I would take advantage of them, especially when you are trying to invest a large part of the system's budget on high end speakers.  

Although I do not have a speaker such as the Cliffhanger Bulldog, I do have a set up that the people from Soundstage used to play at the same time when they were comparing the Cliffhanger gear (back in the early 2000s.)
I have a Gershman X-1 along with the SW-1 passive subwoofer stands.
These speakers sound great with at least 100 watts+ of tube power, 200 watts+ of SS gives it full kick.  The only digital I have tried is with the Sharp SD-EX111, which supposed outputs barely 20 watts at 8 ohm, but with the Sharp, these speakers sounded INCREDIBLE.  It was not supposed to be, but I did and I got more than loud volumes with finesse and outstanding control, more than once could dream.  

Digital power is different, I say 20 watts are minimum.

Check for satisfaction policy on the amps....the speakers, I am sure are clear, clear winner, but ONLY with the right amplification.

Paul K

CIAudio

Proposed crazy system
« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2005, 06:32 pm »
I'm not familiar with the Bulldogs, but according to their specs, the D-100's should work fine.

-Dusty-

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Proposed crazy system
« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2005, 06:45 pm »
TNT Audio "Bulldog" review.... http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/bulldog_e.html
    More info here....
http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/id40.htm[/list:u]