Modwright Reps?

Radiator

Modwright Reps?
« on: 2 Dec 2005, 04:38 pm »
Hi -

I became aware of the Modwright SWL 9.0SE perusing the Odyssey message board.  It seems several of the folks who have the Odyssey Monoblocks are pretty happy (actually very happy) with the performance of the preamp in their system.  I am fairly new to the audiophile world, and not terribly knowledgeable, but regardless, I am interested in trying the Modwright in my system.  With the holidays approaching, I am not quite ready to buy, but I may be shortly after the new year.  Anyway, I need a new preamp soon, as I have purchased the Odyssey extreme monoblocks for use with my VMPS RM2 speakers, but I am still feeding the amps with my Yamaha RX-777 integrated as my preamp.  It doesn't sound terrible, but I know I can do better.  

My question is: are there any reps in my area?  I live on the east side of the Orlando, FL metro area.  I would love to try the preamp out on my system, but, failing that, I would love to hear it in any system.  

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to do this, I'd be appreciative.  

Thanks,
Rob

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Modwright Reps?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2005, 05:45 pm »
the closest dealer I know of in Florida is Lou Fink of Underground Audio. He is a ways away in Fort Lauderdale but try giving him a buzz.

http://www.undergroundaudio.org/pages/6/index.htm

Better yet, maybe there is someone here that lives near you and has one of Dan's preamps???

Good choice by the way.

Radiator

Modwright Reps?
« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2005, 10:18 pm »
Quote from: Response Audio
the closest dealer I know of in Florida is Lou Fink of Underground Audio. He is a ways away in Fort Lauderdale but try giving him a buzz.

Better yet, maybe there is someone here that lives near you and has one of Dan's preamps???

Good choice by the way.

Thanks for the reply.  I've come to trust the beliefs of those posting in these forums.  I began in the VMPS forum, asking about amps.  Being that the VMPS speakers I own are ribbons, they enjoy having large amounts of power.  After several suggestions, I chose the Odyssey monos.  I love them.  So, I began spending a bit of time on the Odyssey board.  Based on those guys raving about the Modwright, I believe that it is the next direction I want to go.  I don't want anything that is too clinical in its presentation...I like warm sound, but also want good clarity of sound, and solid bass.  I believe the combination of the tubes and solid state may be just what I am looking for.  Again, I am new to the world of audiophile, and if someone told me a few years ago I'd be spending this kinda money on my system, I'd have laughed at them.  But, the audible quality at this level continues to drive me.  But, I guess I don't have to explain that to anyone reading this.... :lol:

ricks584

Modwright Reps?
« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2005, 07:51 am »
Rad-
Regardless of what all the magazines say, it is humanly impossible to audition  all/most/some of the available candidates in a particular price range.  
I think you made and are making some great decisions based upon some great research.

audiojerry

Modwright Reps?
« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2005, 03:03 am »
What about the Odyssey pre? Doesn't Klaus offer a trial period?

modwright

ModWright Reps.
« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2005, 06:44 am »
Hi, we have sales reps. in the following locations:

PA: High-Def Zone (Bal Minhaus)
NY: Response Audio
NY: www.audiodoctor.com
NJ: www.audiobugged.com
GA: www.underwoodhifi.com
CA: The Audible Arts (San Jose)
CA: Audiorevelation (L.A.) - Jay Kauffman
AZ: New dealer waiting on stock.

Int'l distrubutors:

UK: Angel Sound Audio - Keith Cheal.
Taiwan: BICA
Spain: In negotiations with potential distributor here.

We are in talks with several others that have expressed interest in being dealers or distributors.  I am taking my time in selecting dealers.  Some are friends and known good businessmen.  Others I am selecting just based on my impression of how they do business and ultimately how they will serve our mutual customers.

I am selecting only dealers that either have a storefront or a legitimate showroom if the biz is home-based.  Audiogon sales are prohibited for all dealers, including ModWright itself.

To the original poster, if you are looking for a tube preamp with some tube warmth, but not at the expense of detail, dynamics or bass response, I believe that our design works quite well.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Radiator

Tempest?
« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2005, 02:56 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
Doesn't Klaus offer a trial period?

I don't know.  Perhaps you are right.  I may look into it, but I really wanted to get some tubes in here somewhere.  Still, the tempest may be a great option, I may look into it.  Thanks.

Radiator

Re: ModWright Reps.
« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2005, 03:13 pm »
Quote from: modwright

I am selecting only dealers that either have a storefront or a legitimate showroom if the biz is home-based. Audiogon sales are prohibited for all dealers, including ModWright itself.

To the original poster, if you are looking for a tube preamp with some tube warmth, but not at the expense of detail, dynamics or bass response, I believe that our design works quite well.

Thanks for the information Dan.  Seems appropriate to be careful about those who you elect to represent your product.  A poor experience while auditioning, or even just purchasing, can really ruin someones experience with a product.

You've adequately summed up what makes me interested in the Modwright....the apparent trade off between tube and SS designs.  I'll find a way to see and hear it....Georgia isn't too far.  It may be good to keep a sticky message with here with contact info for your reps....

Thanks.

8)

Radiator

Modwright Reps?
« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2005, 03:16 pm »
Quote from: ricks584
Rad-
Regardless of what all the magazines say, it is humanly impossible to audition  all/most/some of the available candidates in a particular price range.  
I think you made and are making some great decisions based upon some great research.

Yeah, you are right about the auditioning problem.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :D   This audiophile stuff is expensive, and new to me.  It's great to hear someone say that I am on the right track....or at least not on the wrong track.