Is Queen with Paul Rodgers worth seeing?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« on: 2 Dec 2005, 02:02 pm »
Tickets for this show in DC goes on sale tomorrow.  I have every Queen LP and really like Freddy Mercury's voice.  Has anybody heard Paul Rodgers with Queen?  How does he compare?

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2005, 04:05 pm »
Freddie is gone and us Queen fans miss him. You can't even think of comparing Paul Rogers with Freddie. This is Brian and Roger just having fun playing Queen songs we love along with Bad Company songs. (I am not a big fan of Bad Company). The reviews have been very good. You just have to go with a different mindset then in the past when Queen was Queen. Brian and Roger have said, the Queen thing with dear Freddie ended to soon and the 2 of them just want to get out and play Queen songs. Afterall, who else could and there are a lot of good Queen songs Freddie didn't even sing. Get your tickets and go have a great time with an open mind! They are coming to Minneapolis in March and I will be there!

mca

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2005, 04:44 pm »
I am a big Bad Company fan, but moreso a fan of Paul Rogers. His solo albums are great and I think he has one of the best voices in rock.
Paul and Queen will be in Seattle in April and I plan to be there!

ohenry

:?:
« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2005, 07:04 pm »
A little off topic... Has anyone heard the Queen/Rogers new album?  I just noticed it the other day and hesitated (I've bought too many so-so CD's lately).

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2005, 10:50 pm »
I think you must be refering to the Queen + Paul Rogers DVD of the UK part of tour. I don't believe there is a new album unless it is also a CD of the same DVD concert. But I haven't found any info on that, just the DVD.

ohenry

« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2005, 02:30 am »
I think it was the concert cd now that you mention it.  :oops:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2005, 06:40 am »
Quote from: budyog
I think you must be refering to the Queen + Paul Rogers DVD of the UK part of tour. I don't believe there is a new album unless it is also a CD of the same DVD concert. But I haven't found any info on that, just the DVD.
Info link for cd... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000AMJEGE/qid=1133591895/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/103-4790153-9327052?v=glance&s=music

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2005, 08:35 pm »
I got this DVD for Christmas.

In general I like Paul Rogers voice better than Freddies, but Paul is quite boring to watch compared to Freddie, who was a first class showman.

About 2/3 through the DVD they play Bohemian Rhapsody.  They have Freddie sing from an earlier concert (off Queen - We Will Rock You concert DVD)  with the other members playing live.  You understand right there how limited Pauls range really is and how good Freddie was.

After that, when Paul sang a Queen song, it just wasn't as good for me as when Freddie sang it, those songs were: The Show must go on; We Will Rock You; We Are The Champions.

Paul did do a very nice All Right Now.

All in all a very nice concert DVD.

Brian May has not lost a lick, in fact he is just as good as ever, and Roger Taylor is close to when he was in his prime.

Occam

« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2005, 09:00 pm »
I actually saw the Queen/Paul Rogers concert in Aurba a couple of months ago.  Paul Rogers can't hit the notes that Freddy could, but then again if Freddy Mercury were alive today, he probably couldn't hit those notes either.....
For someone who is devoted to Feddy Mecury, they'd probably be offended by the presumption, but for someone who enjoys Queen and Bad Company, the concert was a hoot!!!!

FWIW,
Paul

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2005, 09:26 pm »
Nice place to see a concert!!!!

Good point on Freddy (if he was alive) not having the range he once did.

All in all I liked this DVD and recommend it.  The concert MUST have been a blast to see live!!!

Occam

« Reply #10 on: 26 Dec 2005, 09:50 pm »
The venue was fantastic. Filled to overflowing with 3,000 folks tops. No pushing or shoving. About 80% South American. The 2nd tier tickets, about 6 rows from the front were $60ea. We're sorry we didn't go to see Peter Frampton the day before. We also got the new Queen w Paul Rogers CD and the disc is a good representation of the concert.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=9086.msg197017#197017&highlight=queen#197017

3beanlimit

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2006, 01:59 am »
Quote from: mca
I am a big Bad Company fan, but moreso a fan of Paul Rogers. His solo albums are great and I think he has one of the best voices in rock.
Paul and Queen will be in Seattle in April and I plan to be there!

The Muddy Waters Blues tribute is simply killer!

Skynyrd

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2006, 02:38 am »
Happy New Year, especially Woodsyi because you own VMPS and I'm sure hoping you'll cut me a deal on your Marchand X-over someday;

I just picked up the DVD of Paul Rodgers and Queen.  Paul Rodgers and Brian May and the drummer of Queen, anyhow!  Pretty watchable, I'm entertaining thoughts of paying the bucks to see them when they show up in Mpls/St Paul this spring.  Brian May has matured nicely and the overall presentation of the band is one of capability.  It isn't Queen, but I can connect with the tunes!  Fair amount of Bad Company material, and the band sounds good with that as well!  I can take or leave Paul Rodgers performs capably for his limited range.  Good stage presence, always a plus.   Don't expect Freddie Mercury quality vocals.  Geez, that's raising the bar too high as most of us rock fans know.  

Also picked up "Queen On Fire, the DVD collection, Live at the Bowl", a two DVD set from Hollywood records.  This is from a 1982 Queen show.  Freddie prances about and often looks utterly ridiculous.  I mean painful to watch.  And then he opens his buck-tooth mouth and sings.  Fantastic.  Riveting.  Beautuiful. Freddie is phenomenal.  Just the epitome of the amazingly talented somewhat-psycho rock star.  His voice is golden, just wonderful.  I could bathe in that voice.  And Mother would never approve.  Freddie rules!!

Try some of his dance moves at home, if you're "comfortable" enough with yourself...!!!

Skynyrd

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2006, 10:03 pm »
Quote from: Skynyrd
Happy New Year, especially Woodsyi because you own VMPS and I'm sure hoping you'll cut me a deal on your Marchand X-over someday

Happy new year to you, too.  I just read your post saying you put in binding posts in for future active triamping.  I will keep you in mind and PM you first if I decide to go another way than the XM44.  Right now I am not even using the third channel -- opting to use the passive filter with TRT for now.  With the change in tweeter/mid interplay in CDWG I may play around with an active filter....

By the way, I did get the tickets for Queen/Rodgers.  I will be going when they come to MCI in DC.