The end of the CD?

Tweaker

The end of the CD?
« on: 2 Dec 2005, 01:17 am »
Anyone else see the Squeezebox,and other such devices, signaling the end of the compact disc? I hope so and I would hope to see the music industry start allowing consumers to purchase and download entire albums to their computer. It would seem to me a significant savings to them to be able to eliminate the cost of manufactering the discs and packaging at the very least. And of course they would pass the savings on to the consumer. :lol:

eric the red

The end of the CD?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2005, 01:31 am »
Was thinking the same thing. With the good press modded Squeezeboxes and MP3 players are already getting and stores like Best Buy giving away computers plus sources like satellite radio for your car, I think those shiny plastic discs will be a thing of the past sooner than we think. "Perfect sound forever"....  :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: The end of the CD?
« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2005, 02:09 am »
Quote from: Tweaker
Anyone else see the Squeezebox,and other such devices, signaling the end of the compact disc? I hope so and I would hope to see the music industry start allowing consumers to purchase and download entire albums to their computer.

Fat chance of that, I'd wager.  At best you'd have the opportunity to rent your favorite music on a per play basis.  And based on the business models they've used so far, you'd probably have to rent it separately for each device you wanted to play it back on.  Not to mention what DMR horrors would lurk deep inside the code.  Sony Rootkit, anyone?

rbrb

The end of the CD?
« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2005, 06:38 pm »
I don't see the end of CDs coming anytime soon.   I would suspect that a lot of people that use the Squeezebox own the CD disc of their music.  They've just ripped it to a PC harddrive for convenience.  People that are concerned with sound quality don't download MP3s.

skrivis

The end of the CD?
« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2005, 07:13 pm »
Quote from: rbrb
I don't see the end of CDs coming anytime soon.   I would suspect that a lot of people that use the Squeezebox own the CD disc of their music.  They've just ripped it to a PC harddrive for convenience.  People that are concerned with sound quality don't download MP3s.

I agree. I also don't think that prices would ever drop, even if they were to eliminate manufacturing costs. The record companies would just make more profit. :)

Tweaker

The end of the CD?
« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2005, 07:17 pm »
I'm not suggesting that the music industry offer their albums for download in MP3 only format. To be sure they would have to offer it uncompressed as well. And no, it won't happen anytime soon but I can foresee it happening gradually and I stiill believe it will. Hopefully in my lifetime!

Jon L

The end of the CD?
« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2005, 07:37 pm »
Quote from: Tweaker
I'm not suggesting that the music industry offer their albums for download in MP3 only format. To be sure they would have to offer it uncompressed as well. And no, it won't happen anytime soon but I can foresee it happening gradually and I stiill believe it will. Hopefully in my lifetime!

I wouldn't hold my breath for the Music Industry to do anything "right," morally or practically.  Just look at the recent Sony Root Kit debacle.  They've backed off for now, but that's where they want to go eventually.  

If music industry ever decides to offer lossless downloads, it will be so triple-team DRM'd as to be basically useless.  You won't be able to rip it onto your hard drive without heavy DRM software spying on everything.  You won't be able to put your own CD/download on your iPod.  If you're lucky, they may allow you to make 2-3 copies of each song you buy, then that's it.  

What they really want to do eventually is to make us pay each time we play a song.  They would want to set up a streaming-type of scheme, where you never own any hard copy or file, and each time you play a song, certain amount of $ will be taken out of your account.  This way, they don't have to worry about people making copies, sharing music, etc.  

The digital music future is bleak, and I actually think right now is the golden age for consumers.  At least right now most CD's can be ripped and copied, and there are sites where lossless files can be bought without DRM.  Get'em while you can, I say.  If you feel "bad" about it, just repeat to yourself, "Root Kit, Root Kit, Root Kit, Root Kit."

Val

The end of the CD?
« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2005, 09:45 pm »
Now that I am rebuilding my stereo system from the ground up I have decided to go with PC audio but I will still buy CDs, only that from now on I will rip them right away into FLAC.

Hoots

The end of the CD?
« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2005, 05:29 am »
I still like to own CDs & LPs eventhough I do most of my listening on my HTPC connected to HiFi.   There is still a bit of "collecting" bug in me and I like the physical item.

I really like the idea of a CD or LP having resale value...  I read an economic article on how the perceived resale value of an item helps sell and justify the price of the new item.   This why I have no interest in paying big bucks for a download.  With a CD...especially a used CD. I can often resell making the cost of usage very low.  Buying expensive downloads (like the entire U2 catalog) doesn't make sense to me.   Buying one song off an odd album from timet to time for .99 does but I don't buy many.

I have been using Rhapsody which is a very interesting concept...the quality of sound isn't as good but it's a great way to try a lot of new music and then focus purchases on the best.   The combination of locally stored and on-demand seems like the future.   I don't like renting track or album by album but I don't mind unlimited access and use for a flat monthly rate.    Improve the quality and provide a portable solution and one could potentially not need to own...but I wouldn't think that is 100%...I still like to own a portion of my favorite content.

I like the visual album art for browsing and creating my playlist and I like the album reviews/comments found in many tags (& even lyrics) for display while I listen.   Reading AMG reviews is interesting.  I think the on-demand audio should have some of these features:

* cd or better quality
* information similar to album jackets and cd liner notes but displayed on the video display.   Some flip-disks, DVD-A, and SACDs have done similar.  Meedio and other players are displaying track information which could be expanded along commentary by the artists (similar to a director's track on a movie).
* more information: guests, song writer, pictures
* maybe someone like Sony could develop a player that does tag-based jukeboxing like today but where available provide a standard format for displaying a whole lot more.

LP & CD both strived to exploit their packaging.  HTPC's bring a new medium for creative packaging.

mcgsxr

The end of the CD?
« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2005, 01:50 pm »
I am in the process of setting up a PC front end, and ripping all my music to it - I have not yet decided if I will sell off all my cd's after I have it all done...

I think that will answer it for me.

Jon L

The end of the CD?
« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2005, 05:04 pm »
Quote from: mcgsxr
I am in the process of setting up a PC front end, and ripping all my music to it - I have not yet decided if I will sell off all my cd's after I have it all done...

I think that will answer it for me.

Nah, after I ripped my CD's, I just boxed them up.  The actual CD's can be a second-line backup in case your first-line backup goes sour.  Besides, you will literally get cents on the dollar for your used CD's.  To me, selling off my favorite artists who have been with me through thick and thin for a few cents just seem wrong.  

Besides, when the music industry gets its way and CD's and internet downloads get shackled with DRM galore, your old DRM-free CD's will have to go up in price, like Vinyl :mrgreen:

Hoots

The end of the CD?
« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2005, 04:27 pm »
I compared my Denon 2900 connected to DAC to my REVO w/ASIO connected to my DAc.  The group thought it was the same.  

I still want to keep my cds because I have the collecting bug.

anyone wanting to sell CDs?  I am a buyer and would love to see for sale lists.  I especially need classic JAZZ, but my primary interest is rock of all flavors.