Timber Finish of Teres TT

Oz_Audio

« on: 28 Apr 2003, 10:46 pm »
Gidday,
I have been drooling over the Teres for a couple of years and its great that this forum has started for them.

Unfortunately, I don't think I will be a dedicated Teres Listener in the near future, but that does not stop one from dreaming.

Chris, Have you thought of used any of the Australian Timbers for the Teres, Jarrah, Blackwood, Huon Pine etc?

I have been searching the net for pictures of these timbers but cannot find any High Res ones.  I'll keep looking and post them when I find some.

Mark

cbrady

• http://www.teresaudio.com/haven
Re: Timber Finish of Teres TT
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2003, 03:10 pm »
Quote from: Oz_Audio
Gidday,
Chris, Have you thought of used any of the Australian Timbers for the Teres, Jarrah, Blackwood, Huon Pine etc?
Mark

I understand that Jarrah is especially nice and also very stable. Unfortunately our
supplier does not carry it.  I don't know anything about the other woods you mentioned.

We have been shifting our focus to cocbolo since it is by far the most popular wood
in spite of it;s cost.

Chris

bluesky

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2003, 07:26 pm »
Mark

Just out of interest, I was in Tasmania, the only source of Huon Pine, a couple of years back.  It is a remarkable timber, absolutely beautiful honey colour, never rots etc.  BUT, it cannot be logged because of its scarcity and extremely low growth rates.  It can only be sourced from salvaged trees from flooded rivers courtesy of the Tasmanian Hydro Electric Scheme.  At least that is what I was told by a local.

Most of the original trees were used for shipbuilding when it was found that it did not rot, even underwater!  It sure would make for a long lasting TT, if you could get it!

Cheers,

Ian
PS Really impressed with your Jarrah cases, I am thinking of using Tasmanian Oak for mine and getting the heatsink anodised gold.

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2003, 07:40 pm »
WOW!! You guys in OZ are really into tweaks!  I never even thought of playing my TT underwater  :o

Guess I'll have to give it a try if CB can make it waterproof  :P

bluesky

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2003, 01:43 am »
Hey, we do this all the time, haven't you heard reviewers talking of the music sounding "liquid"!   :P  

Get your goggles and flippers out, of course in Australia we do have to contend with crocodiles and great white sharks which can detract from the listening experience at times.  :lol:

Ian
Brisbane, Australia

Oz_Audio

« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2003, 02:05 am »
Huon Pine has a very high oil content and floats.  The added mass of lead to make it sink would give extra stability and not transfer as much vibration, so the sound from underwater would be..................................... .........................