BElla SP/AV-1's with BIG power

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« on: 30 Nov 2005, 05:22 pm »
Hello everyone,
 I have been experimenting with numerous amplifiers to drive the Bella SP/AV-1 speakers over the past few weeks including everything from 8 watt 300B mono blocs to 100 watt integrated hybrid amplifiers.
 Well, just this morning I finished up a pair of Signature Plus Hurricanes and a pair of EXtreme Hurricanes. SInce the Signature Plus amps have to be delivered first, I figured this would be a good time to install them into the system with the Bellas. After a few hours on the test bench, in the system they went.
 These Signature Plus amps are were built with everything the EXtremes have except using AuriCaps for coupling rather than the V-Caps. NOS RCA 6SN7's are used up front.
 I am driving them with a highly modified V-Cap Reference Ming-Da MC7R preamp being fed by a Custom Level II Jolida JD100 CD player. Cables from CD to pre are Eichmann eXpress 6 and from pre - amp are Empirical Design. I also have some Eichmann Toppers on each of the Canes' transformers. The Canes are running in triode for about 120 watts per.

Obviously, the Canes are fresh with only 2 hours on them but they are giving a very good indication of how the Bellas react to big tube power. The dynamics in Sheffield Labs' "Drum & Track Disc" and beginning bass notes in the Eagles Hotel California on "Hell Freezes Over" are amazing with the quieter/subtle passages in Lou Hinkley's (Daedalus designer) CD come through without any loss of information.

Next will have to be the EXtreme Canes. The pair I just finished are one of three pair I am building for a customer so I have some time to play with them as I work on the others. This should work out nicely as I will be able to bi-amp with two pair of EXtreme Canes when the Bella SP/AV-2 are being finalized :wink:  The third pair can drive the Usher D2s.

Next step will be to build a personal pair (or two) of EXtreme ASL Monsoons to mate with the Bella speakers. I am quite sure 100 watts will do just fine.

I feel this confirms that the Bella/SP-1's are very wekk suited for anything from 20 watts up to about 150-200 watts.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2005, 06:06 pm »
Whatever you say, I will not put the 'Canes on these. :cuss: There is no freaking room in my bedroom alcove for those babies. :shake: I am sticking with an integrated EL34 jobbie that's just the right size.... :tempted:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2005, 06:52 pm »
Whatever you say, I will not put the 'Canes on these

We'll see what effect temptation has once they are there. It may not happen right away but the "Hmmm, I wonder how they would sound with....." syndrome takes effect......

I am sticking with an integrated EL34 jobbie that's just the right size

They will love that. Are these the 100 watters you were speaking of? If so, you are set...

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2005, 07:49 pm »
Quote from: Response Audio
Are these the 100 watters you were speaking of? If so, you are set...

No,  it's a 28 watter running 4 Mullard Xf2s with Telefunken drivers.   I don't like the volume pot on it.  It will have to be replaced if I use this feature.  The 100 watter is an ARC VT100 with 8 6550s per channel. No matter what people say about ARC, they sure make solid product that is as dependable as the Rock of Gibraltar.   Come to think of it, I could use SB2 directly with this amp using the digital volume control. Hmmm.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2005, 07:54 pm »
Hi woodsyi,
 I should be veneering by the end of the week. Everything else is done. I will post pictures of your speakers (Maple veneer) as well as some Cherry units so everyone can see a finished production pair.
 I will also be posting pictures on my website of all Bella speakers as they are finished.

Well, I better go, I haven't even finished the veneering room downstairs yet. Full of boxes right now. Boy I love this big building!!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2005, 03:35 am »
No, it's a 28 watter running 4 Mullard Xf2s with Telefunken drivers. I don't like the volume pot on it. It will have to be replaced if I use this feature. The 100 watter is an ARC VT100 with 8 6550s per channel.

No problem either way. 28 watts or 100 watts, you have it covered at both extremes. The 28 watter should be very sweet with these speakers. I was driving them with a Reference Jolida 3205 with EL34's wired for triode opperation for about 30 watts. No problem driving the Bellas.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2005, 02:48 pm »
Today we switched into Pentode on the Canes for a full 200 watts going into the Bellas. I don't know if we can get any more out of these speakers in terms of low level resolution, transparency and detail. But then again, I haven't hooked up the EXtremes.
 WHat impressed me the most was the fact that the system is dead quiet considering the Canes are an earlier version with the polished steel chassis which have a tendency of being a bit noisy as compared to the current production. I have to give much of this credit to the power cords being used. I am running the Eichmann to the preamp with a pair of VH Audio AIRSINEs at the amplifiers.
 Maybe I will save these for the Bella 2's.

audiojerry

« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2005, 03:30 pm »
Woodsyi wrote:  
No matter what people say about ARC, they sure make solid product that is as dependable as the Rock of Gibraltar
I don't care what people say, I'm with you on ARC. I bought my VT200 3 years ago used, so I don't know how many hours were on the 6550's, but 3 1/2 years later and probably thousands of hours, they show no signs of giving out. The bias holds rock steady, and I've only had to correct it once in that time. That's pretty dependable. ARC must be doing something right as it's been around for a few decades. Nothing I've tried has been able to beat it sonically, and it doesn't have any of the typical unpopular tubelike characteristics. I had the VT100 mkII prior to the VT200, and it was built with the same architecture.

As much as I like it, I wouldn't mind finding out what Bill's 'Canes can do.  :wink:

If my audition of the stock Essence is any indication, you should be getting one heck of a speaker in the Bella. I felt the Essence was just a few tweaks away from exceptionality.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2005, 04:00 pm »
As much as I like it, I wouldn't mind finding out what Bill's 'Canes can do. icon_wink.gif

Perhaps you can convince Bill to have a pair at Jam'n Audio in Chicago for auditions.  Direct comparisons to ARC VT100 on my RM40 Ribbons is no contest.  Bill's Canes are several layers more transparent than my ARCs and more importantly they pass along emotions like no other amp (I have tried or heard).  It's not an ARC bashing because I think they are exceptional but rather a praise of the 'Canes.  I am sure VT100 II and VT200s are better than my VT100 but I wouldn't be surprised at all if you liked the 'Canes better. :wink:

If my audition of the stock Essence is any indication, you should be getting one heck of a speaker in the Bella. I felt the Essence was just a few tweaks away from exceptionality.

I am really looking forward to hearing these.  I almost ( :wink: ) feel guilty for getting these at the initial introductory price that Bill put out for the first five.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2005, 04:37 pm »
I am really looking forward to hearing these. I almost (  ) feel guilty for getting these at the initial introductory price that Bill put out for the first five.

Hey, sometimes you have to loose a little money to make it up in the end.

Audiojerry---  If you're up to the task, I would be happy to send you one of my prototype pairs for your evaluation. The finish is not so great (see pic below) but sonically, they are everything the production units are. These have the internal crossovers.
 If not, Jam'n Audio will receive a pair for audtion soon enough.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2005, 04:56 pm »
Okay, I'll make a deal for Circle members (and friends of) only. I will let one more pair go for a great price.

Premium Veneer
 Internal crossover
 Eichmann Cable Pod bi-wire

$1,695 + shipping

I just had a customer come in from Jersey to audition the Bella 1. He bought my personal "lip" pair.

Read his comments here. Keep in mind that these were early version crossovers.

http://www.responseaudio.com/feedback2.htm