SWL 9.0 and NuForce Ref 9's

ricks584

« on: 30 Nov 2005, 01:53 pm »
Just bit the bullet and ordered the SWL 9.0 ("hotrodded"!) and the NuForce Reference 9's.   :D
Anyone have any comments on this combination?  Thanks

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2005, 01:57 pm »
I'm curious why you went with the Nuforces as Dan Wright seems to prefer the CI Audio D200's.

Regardless, I think the combo of Dan's pre and Nuforce amps will be wonderful.  What speakers are you running and what are your sources?

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2005, 03:28 pm »
I own the Modwright and demo'd the Ref. 9's.  I preferred my Clari-T, but the NuForces did some things incredibly well.  I assume part of my issue with the NuForce amps was related to my efficient speakers (101 db).

At any rate and with any system, you're almost guaranteed to love the Modwright.  I've never seen one bad word written about it.  I'll quit eating before I part with mine.

Gordy

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2005, 04:06 pm »
I had the Modwright (on loan from Lonewolf) in my system for about two weeks and have also heard it on another occasion.  Having heard it paired with 6 amps now, I've yet to hear it perform any less than stellar.  A couple of the amps may have been less than stellar, but that's a different issue...

As for customer service... When I first received the Modwright one of the tubes was pretty noisy (shipping damage?).  A quick pm and 3 days later I had a new set of tubes... and I'm on the opposite coast from Dan!!!

ricks584

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2005, 02:39 am »
Marbles- I'm using Polk LSi9's for speakers (88 db sensitivity I believe), an Ah! Tjoeb cd player as transport, and a Musical Fidelity A324 DAC.  Used Quad 63 USA Monitors for many years, with a privately made hybrid preamp; but missed the low bass, loudness, and dynamics.  I'm hoping to regain much of the midrange purity I had with the Quads; if not, maybe I'll try Martin Logans.
I like the NuForce because resale value is likely to be high, and because they should be able to drive most speakers.

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2005, 03:14 am »
ricks584,

Here's what I think:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=21707

Scroll down past the crossover impedance stuff and read my reply to Jeff.  Some time has past and I've tried other gear including my new pair of Ref 9's.  The only thing I don't have that we had the day Joe was here is the Modwright preamp.  Although things sound really great I'm still not getting the crystalline "sparkle," detail and air I heard with Joe.  As I just told Tbadder1, I think Dan's dipping his parts in magic fairy dust or something.  The combo of that preamp and the Ref 9's was magical for sure.  Well, that's my $0.02 worth anyway.

-Bob

modwright

Now I'm blushing...
« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2005, 03:19 am »
:oops:   Thanks for the kind words.

We spoke in CO about providing a ModWright SWL 9.0SE for SP Tech. to use at T.H.E. Show in Vegas.  The offer still stands.  I want you to get the best sound that you can too.  Please call me at 360-247-6688 to follow up if interested.

Thanks for the support and feedback!

Dan

ricks584

« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2005, 03:54 am »
SP Pres-
Thank you very much for your post.
My NuForces should be here in 2 days, but Dan seems to be dragging his heels a bit on my "hotrod" SWL 9.0 SE.  He quoted me about a 2 week ship time (he said something about "backorders" or something).  Perhaps you could call him and tell him to put a priority on my order?
I would be most appreciative.  :D

ricks584

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2005, 04:05 am »
A joke   :lol:

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2005, 04:08 am »
Quote from: ricks584
I assure you, it was a joke.

Rick, when you want to joke, use the emoticons on the left of the post screen, like this  :P  so we know what you are feeling....thanks  :beer:

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2005, 05:49 am »
Rick,

Perhaps you could call him and tell him to put a priority on my order?

Sure, I'd be glad to!  Right after we're done finalizing that speaker order. :lol:

Just kidding.  I'm sure Dan is humping it to keep up with orders while preparing for the seasons shows - I know I am! :o Trust me, that preamp is worth the wait.

Dan,

Joe Jurzec is helping us out this year at T.H.E Show.  He's going to let me use his and is rather adamant that whatever I use be well broken-in...which his is.  I can't say I don't agree with him.  So I think we'll be fine.  Thanks a million for the offer and if something goes wrong with that plan, I'll be knocking on your door real fast!  So if you're able to keep one in stock as a back up...well, it could be a real life saver. But whatever you do, don't worry about me and end up pissing off Rick. :nono:  :wink:

-Bob

modwright

Shipping...
« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec 2005, 05:35 pm »
Good, glad that Joe is taking care of you for T.H.E. Show and that you will using our preamp ;).

I AM working as hard as I can to get all orders filled and shipped.  I know that it can be hard to wait.

Thanks for your patience Rick.

Dan